Coming Back From Death Sucks

Nudu

Oh come on. I think all these resurrections are so cheap. GRRM should stop doing these. Even in Harry Potter which is a child book only 1 person we tought dead is still alive and none resurrects. What do you think about it?

I would be disappointed if we see anymore undead characters like Beric, LS, and UnGregor. However, if characters like Tyrek and Benjen reappear, I don't think that would be cheap at all since they vanished, unlike Jon, who received multiple stab wounds at the end of his last POV.

I actually believe Tyrek is still alive and is being held by Varys. I don't think that's too far-fetched at all, considering LF is hiding Sansa, who also just vanished as far as anyone except the readers, LF, and his accomplices are concerned, and is of the same social status and worth as a potential heir.

I'm uncertain how I'll take Jon's "resurrection" assuming he is dead. But I can't imagine his storyline is over. But I was annoyed when Tyrion survived the Battle of the Blackwater and again the near drowning because it was so just too over the top.

I have no problem with the characters coming back from the dead when it is done with a good plot as in ASOIAF, as in the case of Aegon (if he is real). I don't even consider Undeads (Catelyn, Gregor) to be the same persons anyway.

I doubt Jon is dead.

I'm betting Tyrek, Gerion and Benjen will also be seen again in the books but since it fits the plot i have no problem with that.

I agree to you both. If GRRM doesn't stop we can soon have a whole sub plot about UnGregors zombie armies fighting UnCats zombie armies who then all become white walker armies that will be destroyed by the ghosts of Ned and Robert.

resurrection no go: UnXY

Please, no more zombie action, I still don't quite see the point of the whole UnCat thing. UnGregor, well I think we all agree on that

exception:

I don't have a problem with Beric Dondarrion, the whole thing works for the character and added some mystery to the first books. But I want it to be a one time thing.

Ok resurrections:

As for people we never actually saw dying, I say bring some back. Not too many though, I think definitely Benjen, maybe Syrio :-)

I hope Jon survived. He's a Stark, and the Starks are hard to kill (except when their heads are chopped off. See Ned and Robb? But Catelyn got resurrected coz her throat was just cut). If he's dead, I don't mind him being the hero/king/LC UnJon but that's too :ack: .

As much as I enjoyed the fight between Beric and the Hound, I don't like Beric's ressurections nor the one of Catelyn. I really loved the trick with Davos - after it was revealed that he was actually alive. Wights are also ok. Not sure about Robert Strong yet. Still, too many people coming back ain't fun.

I think some readers are overreacting. I count THREE characters out of literally THOUSANDS who have been resurrected outside of wights. I agree, it's a cheap plot device, and I don't need to see it used again, but is it that big a deal? I don't think so, it might be you do and have good reasons, but it could have been a lot worse concerning returning dead characters. Imagine the hundreds other deaths undone.

The thing I hate about resurrection is that there is no finality to death anymore. You're practically immortal and danger is a joke. I hope GRRM will keep it to a minimum, I agree about that.

What's weird is that he's turned us into Doubting Thomases sort of early in the series with the fake deaths of Asha, Tyrion, Jon? and more. Don't you usually reserve your surprise resurrections for late in the running? .....Uh oh. Maybe we got the happy surprises in ADWD because from now on everyone really is going to die. I'm going to read the next books like some CSI nurse though, and I'm not going to count anyone as dead until there's an actual beheading and the head is seen rolling away from the body and the text actually says "Then the expression faded from the head's face and the character TOTALLY DIED." No more cliffhanger chapters with assumed deaths will be fooling me for even a second. The Boy Who Cried Wolf cried it too many times in this book.

How many resurrections have there been? 3?

Beric and Uncat are the only 2 confirmed right?

Robert Strong isn't confirmed correct? Even if it is his body im not sure his mind is still there after the dark magic of Qyburn.

As for the Aegons of the world, faking a death or leading readers to believe something at the end of a chapter is fine. Plus on guys like Aegon we don't even know the full story or if there who they say they are. I don't think it cheapens death to lead readers to believe one thing like with the axe to Aryas head to end a chapter, if anything it made me want to read even more to find out what had happened. If you don't see a death and only hear about it similar to Cersei speaking of Davos then don't believe it.

While I see where people are coming from with the idea that these resurrections are cheap, I'm not too down on them if they work well and serve the story. Beric in particular I thought was really well done. As for Jon-I think it all depends on how it's written, and all indications (to me) are that it will be written well....GRRM has had a pattern of introducing an idea with a minor character first, so that it makes sense when it plays out with a major character, and I think this is probably what's happening with Jon.

The nice thing though, is I really won't be disappointed either way...if he does turn out to be actually dead, I would respect that. If he doesn't, or is resurrected, I don't see myself being disappointed with what that would do for the story.

Archived