Varamyr says something interesting. (SPOILERS)

Razgriz11185

In ADWD's prologue when Varamyr is reflecting about seeing Jon Snow, he says that the boy has the gift and it's very strong in him. I think this important statement reflects the fate of Jon Snow at the end of ADWD and warging into Ghost. Problem is if he did, he will slowly start to lose control of himself to the animal. Kinda ironic how Ghost might contain the ghost of Jon Snow. Just a little observation.

Maybe it's just me, but if Jon DOES hypothetically die for good, I have no problem with his fate being him dying and permanetly warging into Ghost. But that's just me.

That's kind of a bittersweet end to him, IMO.

And something else I think that, if GRRM intends to kill Jon Snow, this is THE ONLY chance to do so. If Jon Snow comes back or survives at all, then there's no way GRRM will be able to effectively kill Jon again within the story with anywhere near the same level of suspense/surprise.

Maybe it's just me, but if Jon DOES hypothetically die for good, I have no problem with his fate being him dying and permanetly warging into Ghost. But that's just me.

That's kind of a bittersweet end to him, IMO.

If this was the next to last book and I felt that Jon had served his purpose/destiny then I would buy into that 100%, however it isn't and he hasn't so I don't see this happening.

If this was the next to last book and I felt that Jon had served his purpose/destiny then I would buy into that 100%, however it isn't and he hasn't so I don't see this happening.

Exactly my thoughts.

His possible heritage notwithstanding, Jon has started to revolutionize the Night's Watch. Accepting spearwives into the fold is something that had never been done, let alone letting wildlings pass through.

I remember him in Game, how disappointed he was because the NIght's Watch has become a fold made of thieves and rapers and criminals. But now, he seems to have overcome that particular feeling, hasn't he?

Sam knew this, which is why he conspired the game that made him LC. And Aemon's approval of the baby switch further makes you see Jon as a character who does what's right. Even Val sees it. And Tormund as well.

Simply the fact that he gets the faith of many members of the Watch(like Iron Emmett), and of the wildlings, tells you that his work here isn't finished.

Anyway, Jon has to finish his war, and that war is against the Others. He still hasn't finished that, still hasn't found what happened to Benjen, and I doubt GRRM would kill him before Jon does this.

Exactly my thoughts.

His possible heritage notwithstanding, Jon has started to revolutionize the Night's Watch. Accepting spearwives into the fold is something that had never been done, let alone letting wildlings pass through.

I remember him in Game, how disappointed he was because the NIght's Watch has become a fold made of thieves and rapers and criminals. But now, he seems to have overcome that particular feeling, hasn't he?

Sam knew this, which is why he conspired the game that made him LC. And Aemon's approval of the baby switch further makes you see Jon as a character who does what's right. Even Val sees it. And Tormund as well.

Simply the fact that he gets the faith of many members of the Watch(like Iron Emmett), and of the wildlings, tells you that his work here isn't finished.

Anyway, Jon has to finish his war, and that war is against the Others. He still hasn't finished that, still hasn't found what happened to Benjen, and I doubt GRRM would kill him before Jon does this.

Exactly! I don't even think he has to be L + R, he is so much more important than that. Its been said time and time again how Jon has always done his duty and the honourable thing, that is what will make the difference, and the way he leads the NW is going to be the reason that people want to follow him.

He is also the most prepared member of the NW for going up against the Others. His destiny is not done, he is not dead.

It is generally accepted that this foreshadows Jon going into Ghost while he's out. Another thing Varamyr said about Ghost: a second life fit for a king.

Was also alluded by Red Mel with her prophecy that she saw Jon's face turn into a wolf and back again to Jon. In other words Jon for 99% certainty will warg into Ghost for a period of time. What happens next is everyone's guess...

I think Jon wargs into Ghost until Mel can bring his body back Cat/Beric style. Old gods + R'holllr = further evidence as Jon as the personification of ice and fire.

I think Jon wargs into Ghost until Mel can bring his body back Cat/Beric style. Old gods + R'holllr = further evidence as Jon as the personification of ice and fire.

I don't think Jon is going to come back like unCat and Berric, I think he'll resurrect (if he's dead as opposed to unconcious) in a way similar to Dany in GoT.

That's rather unlikely. UnJon rising in Castle Black, a fortress full of Crows sworn to fight the Undead with recent engagement, full of Wildlings who've got almost exterminated by Undead, that's suicide.

That's rather unlikely. UnJon rising in Castle Black, a fortress full of Crows sworn to fight the Undead with recent engagement, full of Wildlings who've got almost exterminated by Undead, that's suicide.

I don't think he'll come back as unJon, but what I meant was that Red God magic would be used to revive him like it was with Cat and Beric. The major difference being that for Cat and Beric, they were dead for a period of time, and their brain died too, so when they came back, it was like a zombie rebirth. Beric described it as being born again, and all his memories from when he was still Beric kind of faded. Ghost will act as a placeholder for Jon until his body is "habitable" again, and that way he won't be the braindead unPerson like Cat or Beric. His brain will never die because it will be part of Ghost for the time being.

I don't think he'll come back as unJon, but what I meant was that Red God magic would be used to revive him like it was with Cat and Beric. The major difference being that for Cat and Beric, they were dead for a period of time, and their brain died too, so when they came back, it was like a zombie rebirth. Beric described it as being born again, and all his memories from when he was still Beric kind of faded. Ghost will act as a placeholder for Jon until his body is "habitable" again, and that way he won't be the braindead unPerson like Cat or Beric. His brain will never die because it will be part of Ghost for the time being.

So what? Neither Crows nor Wildlings will make that distinction if someone's dead body rises.

I see what you're getting at now, so because Jon's mind is 'protected' in Ghost he isn't going to be zombiefied because he isn't suffering from memory loss, if Mel then uses R'hollor to bring him back straight away then it would appear to everyone else that he's still alive and never actually died.

Though my personal belief is that Jon is just unconcious and will be for a while and warging into ghost is simply a wolf dream.

What if he never actually dies, he could be just severely wounded and unconscious for a while maybe even coma like. This time he could spend in Ghost, maybe learning some crucial information about something (spying in Castle Black as Ghost he could overhear stuff, maybe he even goes beyond the wall to learn something about the others, Bran..) that will change things after he wakes up again?

What if he never actually dies, he could be just severely wounded and unconscious for a while maybe even coma like. This time he could spend in Ghost, maybe learning some crucial information about something (spying in Castle Black as Ghost he could overhear stuff, maybe he even goes beyond the wall to learn something about the others, Bran..) that will change things after he wakes up again?

This is what I think happens, there's a reason that no one has ever explicitly said, in book that Jon is dead, we had an in depth argument about how Mel could have controlled the attack to make sure he didn't die in the thread on Bowen Marsh's tears. Bran could probably talk to Ghost (and so Jon) which could give him vital info.

I see what you're getting at now, so because Jon's mind is 'protected' in Ghost he isn't going to be zombiefied because he isn't suffering from memory loss, if Mel then uses R'hollor to bring him back straight away then it would appear to everyone else that he's still alive and never actually died.

Though my personal belief is that Jon is just unconcious and will be for a while and warging into ghost is simply a wolf dream.

Exactly. His body may die but his consciousness never will. It will live on in Ghost on hopefully jump back into his body once its not filled with holes.

Archived