Theories you simply don't believe

mitch176

i don't believe that ashara is still alive.

i don't believe A+J= T. but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't also a Targ. it isn't likely, but he could actually be one of Tywin's bastards.

I don't believe Coldhands is Benjen.

I don't believe that Jojen is really Howland Reed.

I am not convinced at this point that Brienne is still alive.

I am not convinced at this point that Brienne is still alive.

Well...GRRM sort of gave it away that she probably is. I was so mad when I thought she was dead I shot him an email. Ha ha, I guess I owe him an apology.

I like the rest

I don't believe in A + J = T, but I wouldn't be upset if it were true. Tyrion would still be Tywin writ small and what he did would still have been kinslaying to me. Come to think of it, it would be kind of amusing, another crack in Tywin's facade.

I don't believe Aegon is real, but I don't know that it matters, who is gonna out him anyway?

I don't believe the theory that Tywin's famed smell was caused by anything other than Oberyn's poison.

I don't believe that the same person, who made this intricate work in terms of plot and intertextuality would write sentences like pink mast and arousing arousal.

I don't believe Jon is perma dead.

I don't believe Stan is AAR.

I don't believe anything other then R+L=J

I don't believe Aegon is a Targaryan (he's a Blackfyre through the female line)

I don't believe Uncle Ben Stark is Coldhands

I don't believe the HM at Winterfell is Jamie/Blackfish/Uncle Ben

I don't believe Septon Lemore = Ashara Dayne

I don't believe in secret Targs - the only one is Jon

I don't believe Euron Greyjoy threw a dragon egg overboard

Are you of the opinion that Jon is the true Targaryen heir? Usually the fact that the KG stayed is used as proof that Rhaegar + Lyanna were married and that Jon is legitimate. I was wondering if the implication of your read on this is to suggest that Jon is not in fact the true Targ heir, and/ or that he's not actually legitimate.

I suspect Rhaegar married Lyanna and Jon is his legitimate son. That said, if Rhaegar didn't do this, and Jon is just his illegitimate child, I still feel that that's sufficient cause for the Kingsguard to stay around. I've always pointed out that the fact is that the three Kingsguard were not going to make a massive difference for Viserys and Queen Rhaella at that time, that they had high strong walls, and a fleet, and guards, and so on. Whether legitimate or not, Jon would be of the royal blood, and was far more exposed than Viserys would be at the same time. Out of duty to their vows (the vows that include obedience) and, frankly, respect for Rhaegar and just general chivalric honor, it just makes sense that they'd defend even a bastard boy who had no other defenders.

And then when Lyanna was clearly dying, I don't know, I'd like to think the likes of Ser Gerold Hightower and the Sword of the Morning wouldn't just shrug their shoulders and leave her to it, when Rhaegar asked that they protect her. Even if she wasn't Rhaegar's wife.

We're KG. We swore a vow and we do not flee. But we do go rogue and start to take orders from the crown prince whenever we feel like it!

From ADwD:

Strictly speaking, it was purely the king's choice whether or not to extend Kingsguard protection to others, even those of royal blood. Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistresses, and bastards. But others preferred to use household knights and men- at- arms for those purposes, whilst keeping their seven as their own personal guard, never far from their sides.

If the queen had commanded me to protect Hizdahr, I would have had no choice but to obey.

Aerys dispatched Kingsguard knights to serve and defend Rhaegar; we know this clearly from the fact that Whent ran errands for Rhaegar at Harrenhal, that Dayne was almost certainly his sworn shield, and that Whent and Dayne were missing from the war and were basically with Rhaegar. At that point, their vow to protect and obey extended to him, and to whoever else he said they extended to, whether it was his second wife and son, or his lover and his bastard, or just his lover. No "going rogue" needed here. Barristan's words are almost tailor-made to explaining why Martin explained that the question of why they fought was due to orders that Rhaegar gave them weeks before he died rather than just saying it was their vows.

It does come down to their vows at the end, and certainly those orders gained more force if they recognized Jon as Rhaegar's heir, but either way... "Orders."

Archived