When You Wish Upon a Plot Point...

ladyofslytherin

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say there are moments in the events of ASoIaF where I wish characters had made a different choice, or that events had been fallen out a little differently. And I'm sure that anyone who has a moment like that also, like me, speculates about how the alternate event or choice might have affected the course of the series.

If you would be so kind, please pick one of your "I wish it'd happened differently" moments and share it. Tell us what you want to have happened instead and how you think it would've changed the series. Big or small, silly or serious. I'd love to see what my fellow fans think!

I wish Theon had slit Ramsey's throat on his wedding night when he gave him the dagger, helped Jayne escape, then charged at his guards with the dagger, forcing them to kill him in an heroic finish. Would probably not be great storytelling or fit with the flaws in Theon's character, but still, c'mon, would be so cool.

Actual one for the story and readership enjoyment, I wish Dany had said "oh, fuck Mereen, I'm taking my dragons to Westeros!". I'm bored of waiting for her. I don't care what happens to Mereen, or Yunkai, or Astapor, get to Westeros!

Wish that Catelyn had remained dead. That way we'd still have Beric Dondarrion around, Brienne would still be on her quest, Jaime would be able to keep making progress in his redemption and the only price would be a few Freys left alive.

This. So, so much. When Cat died, I thought "ok, at least I don't have to read about her anymore" - just to have her back even more annoying. Beric would have been much cooler and the resurrection thing wouldn't have gotten that stale.

Then in AFfC. Cersei. I kept thinking "no, no, don't you do that..." like all the time. Qyburn, Lady Stokeworth, dealing with the Tyrells, but most of all in regard what I think will prove to be her most fateful (for the realm) mistake: arming the faith.

Last thing Sansa and Tyrion. Sure, I can absolutely understand Sansa loathe him, especially after the battle at the Blackwater. But she could have shown a little kindness to him, like saying something remotely nice after him making it clear that he wouldn't force himself onto her. Maybe he would not have gone completely over the edge then.

Just about any of the decisions that Ned Stark made. To just pick two -

1. Wish that he had included Loras Tyrell in the band of men he sent to bring Gregor Clegane to justice. I think his

inclusion would have moved the Tyrells to Ned's side and have made it almost impossible for Tywin Lannister to

make an alliance with them.

2. Wish that Ned had listened to Renly when he proposed seizing Cersei's children when Robert was dying. This

would have given him at least a chance of checkmating Cersei's schemes.

I wish Jeyne Westerling had never happened.

You got your wish at least in the HBO series. I really think GRRM influenced them to make that change to put the whole "Jeyne's hips" issue to bed. There will be no heir to Rob Stark.

Archived