When You Wish Upon a Plot Point...

ladyofslytherin

I wish the whole Quentyn Martell thing hadn't been included at all. Never felt like I knew the guy, thus cared very little when he died.

Agree with those saying Catelyn should have died for real. Whatever purpose she had/has, surely someone else could have taken care of that.

I wish Sansa and the Hound had hit it off!

except then renly would have been robert's heir. the lord of dragonstone is the heir of the king something stannis seem to care about.

Not really. It was Targ tradition to award Dragonstone to the heir apperent. That was why Rhaegar was the Prince of Dragonstone.

Stannis was Robert's lawful heir, and he would still be his heir, doesn't matter whether he had Storm's End or Dragonstone.

Not really. It was Targ tradition to award Dragonstone to the heir apperent. That was why Rhaegar was the Prince of Dragonstone.

well, if we want to get technical, it was also a targ tradition to sit on the iron throne. they were the first rulers of united westeros. everything about being king of westeros is a targ tradition and yes, they awarded dragonstone to their heirs similar to the english heir apparent being called prince of wales, regardless of the family. isn't there a passage that said joffrey would be given that title when he reached his adulthood? so giving stannis that position before robert's "children" were born was a big deal.

well, if we want to get technical, it was also a targ tradition to sit on the iron throne. they were the first rulers of united westeros. everything about being king of westeros is a targ tradition and yes, they awarded dragonstone to their heirs similar to the english heir apparent being called prince of wales, regardless of the family. isn't there a passage that said joffrey would be given that title when he reached his adulthood? so giving stannis that position before robert's "children" were born was a big deal.

It wasn't. It was an insult.

Stannis held Storm's End for a whole year, surrounded by a huge Tyrell host, and he was given Dragonstone as a reward. Lordship over a bunch of rocks...

And Robert might have revoked that from him when Joffrey was old enough to hold a title.

It wasn't. It was an insult.

And Robert might have revoked that from him when Joffrey was old enough to hold a title.

except that he did this before he ever had children. he had no idea if he would have had a son to assume the throne. it was not an insult but stannis perceived it to be one. it was an honor and a logical move. for all of stannis rumblings about how robert preferred ned, he named stannis as his heir, not ned. robert did right by stannis here. which makes me think that when he did name joffrey heir, he would have made stannis lord of storm's end. there is no way he couldn't. of course that's all moot now.

I wish Sansa left KL with Sandor. A far second to that, I wish she married Willas. Either is better than LF.

I wish Jaime never threw Bran out the window, yet Bran still learned how to open his third eye.

I wish Ned never told Cersei he knew about the twincest.

I wish Tyrion drowned to death after going overboard the Shy Maid, saving us anymore of his dreadful ADwD POVs.

I wish Oberyn didn't get his head crushed in by Gregor.

I wish there was no UnGregor.

I wish the WoS never happened.

ETA: I wish the Tysha and Lollys gang-rape never happened. And, going down this road, all of the rape described in the series never happened.

Nothing to change on the major plots, only little bits. I wish...

-Ned did not declare Joffrey as the true king if he'll be killed anyway and war will continue.

-Cat have been kinder to Jon --- evil stepmother.

-Maester Aemon was still alive and went to counsel stubborn Dany.

-there were more than three Frey pies.

-the poison that killed Joffrey had more gruesome effects.

I wish:

1- Oberyn, Elia, and Quentyn were still alive. :frown5:

2- Catelyn never died, or at least knew that her children were alive, even if she only knew about Arya, i mean they were so close :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

3- Tywin Lannister had been a better parent to his children. But if this was impossible to come true I wish Tywin knew about Cersei and Jaime right before his death.

4- Ned had told Catelyn about Jons true parentage. It would have made the relation between them better. And readers wouldn't be so hostile towards Cat even thoough her actions were understandable

5- The Starks and Tullys were still happy and together.

6- Stannis had more love :frown5:

-Cat have been kinder to Jon --- evil stepmother.

As unfair as it was towards Jon, I don't think calling Catelyn an "evil stepmother" is accurate. Didn't the stepmother in Cinderella go out of her way to make Cinderella miserable? Whereas GRRM has said that Catelyn was mostly distant towards Jon.

As unfair as it was towards Jon, I don't think calling Catelyn an "evil stepmother" is accurate. Didn't the evil stepmother in Cinderella go out of her way to make Cinderella miserable? Whereas GRRM has said that Catelyn was mostly distant towards Jon.

The Impossible wish: Getting extreme-Cat haters to understand this

The Impossible wish: Getting extreme-Cat haters to understand this

Yeah. For the record, I disagree with Catelyn's treatment of Jon. Though I can understand why she behaved the way she did, I don't think it was the right thing to do. I just think labeling her as the "evil stepmother" is too much. Oh, and I'm a big Cat fan, lol.

eta: And I don't think she should have been required to love him or any of that nonsense.

I'm surprised at like the four of you posting about not caring for Quentyn.

Maybe it was just me, but his four chapters in ADwD were some of my favorite chapters in the book and were VERY enticing to me.

And their small appearences in Dany and Barristan chapters were also quite interesting as well.

Maybe that's all just me though.

I wish the Quentyn Martell plot hadnt been included; I felt nothing for him. It's one of the few characters that are never going to like me.

I agree, if Martin was trying to make a point that dragons were dangerous, I wish he had made it a little quicker.

I also could have done without being privy to the Kingsmoot.

The whole Cat and Jon thing - being distant is pretty demoralising and damaging for a small child. Think how it must have bee at festivals where there were present exchanges = eg like Xmas. Cat gives her boys a gift of some kind and say 6 year old Jon gets nothing. Very hurtful for a child that age. Name days celebrated differently etc.

I think the fact that Ned did NOT trust cat with the secret says it all. He feared that Cat would hate and hurt Jon. He prayed that she would never have to choose.

Sorry Cat was cruel as a step mother. Exactly like the step mother in Jane Eyre. I think sending Jon to the wall was pretty harsh. Also foolish. Jon at Winterfell would have given Robb much needed assistance. Jon could have stayed behind to protect Bran and Rickon.

Archived