Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

• 6 months later...

I just watched the final season and felt I had to resurrect this thread from the dead to comment on how great it was.

I felt that the fourth season was somewhat of a step back after the third, but everything they set up then paid off big time in the final season.  Uncle Benjen really knocked one out of the park.  The guy who used to be Robin Hood was excellent as well. (The episode that focused on him was incredible I thought, even though it barely included the people we know). So was his brother.  And all the rest of the actors were excellent as usual.

The last half hour of the final episode did not really work for me (I honestly have no idea what they were trying to accomplish there) but other than that, a really awesome ending.  

I thought this series was a bit pretentious when it first started, even a bit hard to watch, but it really evolved in to something else over time.  So much genuine emotion, and they were able to convey it so brilliantly.  The ability to slowly build all these feelings to devastating effect at the end...No other show really did that for me recently. 

I looked around quite a bit just now, and I cannot find a release date for Netflix. It does look like it can be streamed on BBC America (although the first episode says only ten days remaining). Hopefully it's available on-demand as well. 

36 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I looked around quite a bit just now, and I cannot find a release date for Netflix. It does look like it can be streamed on BBC America (although the first episode says only ten days remaining). Hopefully it's available on-demand as well. 

Do you have Amazon Prime?  It's there if you do.

On 5/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Season 4 can be streamed from netflix.  It's been up for quite some time.

Ooops, got confused.  Season 5 still isn't up for streaming, but it is available from Netflix on dvd -- which I watched quite some time ago (why I have both streaming and dvd Netflix service).

It seems these days that content running on amazilla and HBO don't show up available for streaming very late, or often, not at all.  Amazilla seems to have very extended exclusive licensing periods.  Which is why we're getting season 2 of TLK tomorrow on netflix -- by co-producing / financing it, netflix gets an exclusive streaming license and gets to do it early.  Or so it seems.  I don't know, having no access to licenses and contracts in the tv biz!

• 1 month later...

I had no idea there was a real inspector Edmund Reid.  Now I'm disappointed they didn't include any of his aeronaut activities.

Watched the final season, that last episode was indulgent.  The rest was great.  I agree with @aeu the show knew how to infuse emotion into the story and use it to good effect.

Spoiler

Did anyone think for a moment Reid was going to finally catch the Ripper?

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I thought about bumping this to say the same thing, but I've been too busy watching it :) 

I have been too distracted by the weather to begin watching yet.  Too many dear people trapped by Irma in the Caribbean and Florida and the southeast.  

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

I have been too distracted by the weather to begin watching yet.  Too many dear people trapped by Irma in the Caribbean and Florida and the southeast.  

I meant to stop after episode 4 last night, because I needed to get to bed... ended up watching the last two.  I'm wrecked today, and feel like I didn't get as much out of it as I should have (but some of that is because it's been such a long time since I watched season 4, really should have rewatched from the beginning).

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.  The snap and sizzle among the ensemble characters that made Ripper Street feel like must watch is gone in this last season.  It had faltered significantly in the previous season, but now it's entirely mia.  It's barely mildly interesting.  Too bad.

Archived