Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

Strange as it may seem to Americans we have very short Series here. The wiki has 8 episodes listed. Luther has only had 6 episodes in series 1 and 4 episodes in series 2.

That could have more to do with Idris Elba being very busy though, 4 Episodes, even by UK standards is short.

Well with it being the same time period, I wonder if they could do an HBO/BBC joint feature, I really would love to know if Al Swearengen ever did manage to open up his whorehouse that caters for oddities in Manchester,England in his declining years.

I got from the last episode that there was a fire, and he got those burns trying to save their daughter. His wife Emily said something about her seeing their daughter, and something about a fire. It might also explain his unwillingness to mourn her, because he feels like he failed in saving her. Just my musings, though.

Oh really? I definitely heard 10 somewhere. 8 would be fine, 6 not so much. I need moar! :laugh: Let me know what you think of the things I recommended, especially The Crimson Petal, as it's one of my favourite novels, and the BBC drama is done extremely well. I also have a new book on the era to read called Wildthorn - there seems to be a big mystery surrounding women and mental illness back then, which is interesting, especially where Emily in Ripper Street is concerned. It's clear she's grieving for her daughter, but if there's anything else wrong with her I'd be interested in how they go down that road.

That could have more to do with Idris Elba being very busy though, 4 Episodes, even by UK standards is short.

I think it was due to the declining ratings of the first season. They were lucky to get a second season and were probably conservative with the second season in case it did poorly. As it was, the second season was pretty successful from what i remember.

Well with it being the same time period, I wonder if they could do an HBO/BBC joint feature, I really would love to know if Al Swearengen ever did manage to open up his whorehouse that caters for oddities in Manchester,England in his declining years.

Sadly he never got to go back to England but died of a massive head-wound about 20 years after the last episode - assuming the next season was going to cover the fire that burned Deadwood down.

I thought Luther was well received in the UK and assumed it was the actor being really busy that affected season length. A bit like with Sherlock as the small number of episodes of that show are due to the Hobbit and Star Trek.

As far as I'm concerned Luther was very well received, there's a focus on quality above quantity, that's good. And yes a thrid series is in the works, another 4 parter, as long as we get more Alice I'm happy. I love the whole Cop, psychopath, thing going on, on a level he respects her, but knows she's not right.

Urgh you guys! Why do you do this to me? All I want is more Luther now.

Due to this thread I went and watched these on bbc iplayer, still got the 3rd to go but the second one was great. Shows like these are one of the reasons I love the BBC.

Also was the Scouser that guy from This Is England and a whole bunch of other recent stuff?

Sadly he never got to go back to England but died of a massive head-wound about 20 years after the last episode - assuming the next season was going to cover the fire that burned Deadwood down.

I thought Luther was well received in the UK and assumed it was the actor being really busy that affected season length. A bit like with Sherlock as the small number of episodes of that show are due to the Hobbit and Star Trek.

I don't remember the first season being very well received, certainly the ratings declined as it went on. The second season seemed to do much better. It helped lenghening the stories into two-parters.

Sherlock's episode low episode count is more down to what the writers were able to do I think (Moffat at least has Dr who and Silk to write for). The Hobbit's filming was planned around Sherlock, not the other way round. Though the actors' other work has delayed the third season.

Sherlock's episode low episode count is more down to what the writers were able to do I think (Moffat at least has Dr who and Silk to write for). The Hobbit's filming was planned around Sherlock, not the other way round. Though the actors' other work has delayed the third season.

This; given that the first "season" of Sherlock was 3 episodes, and neither actor had been cast in anything much at that time. Sherlock is basically a side-issue for the writers, for whom Dr Who is their bread and butter

Seriously? The BBC must have had them locked in a contract as I can't really see the Hobbit delaying production for a British TV show. I agree with the first season being short because the writers were busy and dipping their toes into whether there was an audience for it. Then again i forget the episodes are 90 mins long.

Utopia on channel 4 was getting very good reviews last night. I'll try and watch it on catch-up. Basically some geeks find a graphic novel that has predicted major events and some nasty hitmen try to get it back and silence them. Seems like there's some decent stuff in the UK at the moment, especally if you include Attenborough's nature program "Africa".

Utopia on channel 4 was getting very good reviews last night. I'll try and watch it on catch-up. Basically some geeks find a graphic novel that has predicted major events and some nasty hitmen try to get it back and silence them. Seems like there's some decent stuff in the UK at the moment, especally if you include Attenborough's nature program "Africa".

I intended to watch Utopia last night but I fell asleep. If it's any good it should probably deserve its own thread. I'll try to catch it tonight.

After the giraffe fight in episode 1 of Africa and the elephant fight in episode 2 I spent the entire week wondering what would win in a fight Giraffe or Elephant?

After the giraffe fight in episode 1 of Africa and the elephant fight in episode 2 I spent the entire week wondering what would win in a fight Giraffe or Elephant?

Obviously the naked rat would win. (I have to say that I found episode 2 a bit underwhelming compared to episode 1.)

Archived