[Sample] Arianne I, round 2

Jon Icefyre

I don't think The Lord of Waters is Aurane Waters, I think he is Salladhor Saan. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think those ships are Cersei's missing fleet. When I read the sample chapter I was somewhat disappointed because I had a theory about Aurane taking obsidian to the Wall. But as I was not particularly invested in it being Aurane that got the obsidian to the Wall, I started thinking about other ways obsidian could get to the Wall. But something about the name The Lord of Waters kept tickling my brain. Then I remembered this passage from Davos II-ASOS:

"How is it you come by a Pentoshi ship?" asked Davos. "Have you gone pirate again, my Lord?" He set his empty cup aside.

"Vile calumny. Who has suffered more from pirates than Salladhor Saan? I ask only what is due me. Much gold is owed, oh yes, but I am not without reason, so in place of coin I have taken a handsome parchment, very crisp. It bears the name and seal of Lord Alester Florent, the Hand of the King. I am made Lord of Blackwater Bay, and no vessel may be crossing my lordly waters without my lordly leave, no. And when these outlaws are trying to steal past me in the night to avoid my lawful duties and customs, why, they are no better than smugglers, so I am well within my rights to seize them." The old pirate laughed. "I cut off no man's fingers, though. What good are bits of fingers? The ships I am taking, the cargoes, a few ransoms, nothing unreasonable."

And then Salladhor says this in Davos I-ADWD:

"Salladhor the Beggar, that's what your king has made me," Salladhor Saan complained to Davos, as the remnants of his fleet limped across the Bite. "Salladhor the Smashed. Where are my ships? And my gold, where is all the gold that I was promised? When Davos had tried to to assure him that he would have his payment, Salla had erupted. "When, when?" On the morrow, on the new moon, when the red comet comes again? He is promising me gold and gems, always promising, but this gold I have not seen. I have his word, he is saying, oh yes, his royal word, he writes it down. Can Salladhor Saan eat the king's word? Can he quench his thirst with parchments and waxy seals? Can he tumble promises into a feather bed and fuck them till they squeal?"

So, Salladhor really liked his handsome parchment with its waxy seal (although I suspect he can't read it). If Salladhor had Cersei's ships and that parchment (which he obviously still has) he would definitely set himself up as The Lord of Waters. But how would he get Cersei's ships? That is a good question. We know that Aurane and Salladhor know one another, because they were commanders of ships in Stannis' navy. We also know that Aurane would have been able to identify Salladhor on the open water because of the distinctive paint job Salladhor's ships had. However, how, when, where, and why the transfer took place I haven't a clue. I know the idea that The Lord of Waters is Salladhor such a long shot as to be crackpot, but I just can't shake the feeling that it is him nevertheless.

Archived