The Americans

Fragile Bird

Yea I think it was too easy to see that other KGB agents had gotten them, because Stan and Jon Boy would have gotten the heads up at some point.

I do like this show, but I think there have added to much of the action. It should be built more on the drama of what they are doing then them having to go out and have a car chase, or gun fight every week.

I do like this show, but I think there have added to much of the action. It should be built more on the drama of what they are doing then them having to go out and have a car chase, or gun fight every week.

I agree. I know they said week one that their activity was going to be increased, but in reality, years and years would go by with these spies not doing any spying, but just living as ordinary Americans. Every time they conduct an operation, they are exposing themselves. Those risks would not be taken by a deep plant like these folks.

I think this show is just taking a week off so the nation can take a cold shower. Damn, this is almost as good as Justified.

I thought last night's episode was the weakest one but by no means bad. Their mission just wasn't that interesting. Some interesting set up though with Chris following Martha. He's bound to stumble on Phillip.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought last night's episode was the weakest one but by no means bad. Their mission just wasn't that interesting. Some interesting set up though with Chris following Martha. He's bound to stumble on Phillip.

Prophetic, that. :(

Did anyone besides me catch last night's show? It was a doozy. :stunned:

At the rate things are going, however, I don't see how our favorite sleeper cell couple can pull things together enough to last another week, let alone another season.

Oh hell, there was a new episode last night? I watched most of an all day marathon on Monday and got caught up on a couple of episodes I missed. I was wondering if the marathon meant that the episode with the apparent breakdown of their marriage was the finale.

Oh, you've got to watch it!

I still wonder how the heck they manage to keep their wigs on during all the various sexual encounters. :P

heh, I was wondering how Phillip woke up in Martha's bed with his wig still on and in position.

Martha kinda creeps me out with her insistence that she'd "do ANYTHING" for Philip. It's almost like she subconsciously (or consciously) knows something's up with him and he's not who he pretends to be, and she's giving him the signal.

Spoilers be here.

The wig was the first thing I thought of too! How the hell did that thing stay on all night. I was even more surprised when Chris didn't recognize Phillip after bumping into him at Stan's house previously, and then Elizabeth, especially after pointing her out to Stan and commenting specifically on her looks. But whatever Chris might have put together in his head doesn't matter anymore, 'tis true.

I was really impressed by Noah Emmerich this episode.. he makes Stan terrifying, especially that monologue with the hunting dogs and the birds that play dead. The AV club review of the episode said that the ending was his "breaking bad" moment, and I can agree with that. He wasn't comfortable with extra-judicial missions earlier in the episode, but now that Chris is dead he up and kills Arkady's assistant in cold blood.

I think, given enough time, Chris Amador would have recognized Philip, But shit goes down in a big, violent way pretty quickly, and then he's doped up pretty good on morphine.

And, yes, Stan is - A. Very. Scary. Guy.

I'm not real certain what was up with Amador approaching Philip in such an aggressive way and throwing his weight around, flashing his badge, trying to "take him in," etc., etc. I was interrupted right at that scene and my attention was elsewhere (of all times!) Was he going to try to scare Philip away from Martha? Or did he suspect something?

Great show, but the showrunners seem to go out of their way to try and force us to sympathize with spies for a totalitarian police state. As if our spies are no different and it's all just some tit for tat game.

Gotta have the FBI guy roughing people up and shooting that poor kid to create a flimsy moral equivalence.

I guess we're supposed to appreciate they let the black guy go out doing what he loved; gunning down cops.

The actual spy story though is great. It's like they took all the best elements of 24 and Rubicon and found a happy medium.

Great show, but the showrunners seem to go out of their way to try and force us to sympathize with spies for a totalitarian police state. As if our spies are no different and it's all just some tit for tat game.

Gotta have the FBI guy roughing people up and shooting that poor kid to create a flimsy moral equivalence.

I guess we're supposed to appreciate they let the black guy go out doing what he loved; gunning down cops.

The actual spy story though is great. It's like they took all the best elements of 24 and Rubicon and found a happy medium.

What I got from the events was that both sides can have agents go rogue and make mistakes, get too emotionally involved, etc.

I guess we do tend to think of ourselves as the good guys and so we figure none of our agents could/would ever do what Stan did, but frankly, we know that's not really true. But I do think that both sides have been portrayed as having their darker aspects.

I actually had a lot more problem with Gregory shooting up the police officers. here's a character who has been portrayed as highly sympathetic - you don't get more of a sterling character, really, than Gregory (aside from the traitor aspect, of course), and yet it's considered a badge of honor that he chooses his own way out by having a shoot-out with the police in which he is inevitably killed.

On another note, it looks like Elizabeth will have no one else to turn to except Philip now that Gregory's out of the picture.

At first I thought Felicity was the weakest link acting wise in this show but Russell is bringing the goods these last couple episodes. Damn, that scene in the warehouse with the CIA guy.

Archived