New Game of Thrones Video Log

Westeros

HBO’s official Game of Thrones Youtube channel has uploaded a brand new video, featuring writer and editor Bryan Cogman (recently interviewed here regarding season 3) about the process of turning the books into the series. Cogman’s work entails providing the notes and outlines of the books that help serve as the underpinnings of the upcoming season, and it’s interesting to see that process described somewhat. Also, the video features some glimpses of season 3 filming, including a brief scene featuring Dame Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister.

Visit the Site!

This was almost as good as a trailer. We received some dialogue and got to see one of the more memorable shots of the Blackfish. We heard Mance and the Queen of Thorns. And another shot of Jaime and Brienne fighting. The only thing I disliked was showing the shot of Robb about to do the spoiler with his long sword out, and Jorah walking to Dany with the smoke all around, we have seen those before.

Also that opening shot of Robb in the video is from Episode 7 "Chains" written by GRRM. It was called Autumn Storms, I know a few days ago everyone was making theories for the change of title. It does seem that Robb is looking soaked.

Hopefully we get these production videos atleast once a fortnight now that we're within 75 days of the premiere.

I'm too lazy to do a frame by frame analysis so could some one please list all things worth noting in this vlog? :cool4:

0.09 - 0.10 Robb and Talisa

0.11 - 0.12 Daenerys

0.13 - 0.14 Meera

0.14 - 0.16 Brynden

0.18 - 0.24 Jon, Tormund and Mance: 'You're Ned Stark's bastard.'

0.25 - 0.26 Melisandre

0.26 - 0.27 Bran

0.27 - 0.29 Jaime

0.30 - 0.34 Tywin: 'Your Grace.'

0.35 - 0.36 Joffrey

0.41 - 0.48 Catelyn

0.48 - 0.50 Catelyn and Talisa

0.55 - 1.04 Tyrion and Olenna: 'We're at war, Lady Olenna.' - 'Oh, I nearly forgot.'

1.07 - 1.13 Arya

1.17 - 1.22 Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger and Pycelle

1.23 - 1.26 Varys, Littlefinger and Pycelle

1.32 - 1.33 Cersei and Tyrion

1.33 - 1.34 Sansa and Shae

1.34 - 1.35 Jaime and Brienne

1.35 - 1.36 Robb

1.37 - 1.38 Jorah and Daenerys

1.38 - 1.39 Cersei

I should be studying.

0.55 - 1.04 Tyrion and Olenna: 'We're at war, Lady Olenna.' - 'Oh, I nearly forgot.'

One sentence and she made me laugh. Pefrect casting.

I should be studying.

:whip:

I like that they say they want to tell more about the intimacy of the characters ... lets hope they keep this word. Is it posible that this means more Sansa? Please, Old Gods, make it so.

Also, I like Brynden.

My spirits we really lifted when he said they would spend more time on character development and less on the other bullshit. Let's hope they keep their word.

And let's hope they didn't mean Ros.

Strange to judge his performance on two seconds of filming at an odd angle but I love Hinds' rough, northern accent... "yer Ned Stark's BASTud."

Very cool.

Oh, don't worry, I just meant that I'm a fan of the decision to have Mance as an older, more regal, authoritative character, a la Caesar.

And let's hope they didn't mean Ros.

I'm gonna raise an unpopular idea by saying that Ros could fill a useful function in the story. I think D&D intends her to be the symbol of all the victims of sexual violence that happens when evil men have power. That will have a stronger emotional impact if it happens to one character whom the audience knows, rather than countless numbers of nameless extras. Sure, that doesn't excuse some silly scenes we've had with her, but I'm not gonna write her off as pure T&A just yet.

The second I saw the Blachfish cast a few months back, I was sure he'd be great. I mean, he's exactly the way he's described in the book. They couldn't have found a more fitting actor.

I also liked Cieran's Mance. Have a feeling he'll be portrayed a bit like Oakenshield this time around, but vastly different of course. Very rough from the beginning, but then becomes a lot more warm the instance Jon proves himself.

The second I saw the Blachfish cast a few months back, I was sure he'd be great. I mean, he's exactly the way he's described in the book. They couldn't have found a more fitting actor.

I also liked Cieran's Mance. Have a feeling he'll be portrayed a bit like Oakenshield this time around, but vastly different of course. Very rough from the beginning, but then becomes a lot more warm the instance Jon proves himself.

That's such a good analogy to make, between Thorin and Mance. Can really see how Mance could play out a lot like that.

This was almost as good as a trailer. We received some dialogue and got to see one of the more memorable shots of the Blackfish. We heard Mance and the Queen of Thorns. And another shot of Jaime and Brienne fighting. The only thing I disliked was showing the shot of Robb about to do the spoiler with his long sword out, and Jorah walking to Dany with the smoke all around, we have seen those before.

Also that opening shot of Robb in the video is from Episode 7 "Chains" written by GRRM. It was called Autumn Storms, I know a few days ago everyone was making theories for the change of title. It does seem that Robb is looking soaked.

Hopefully we get these production videos atleast once a fortnight now that we're within 75 days of the premiere.

Could you remind mind what scene that is with Rhob again? The one with the sword, I forget it from the books.

Also, Mance Rayder has an Irish accent, interesting!

Could you remind mind what scene that is with Rhob again? The one with the sword, I forget it from the books.

Also, Mance Rayder has an Irish accent, interesting!

It's probably the scene where Robb beheads Lord Karstark for killing those prisioners.

I'm gonna raise an unpopular idea by saying that Ros could fill a useful function in the story. I think D&D intends her to be the symbol of all the victims of sexual violence that happens when evil men have power. That will have a stronger emotional impact if it happens to one character whom the audience knows, rather than countless numbers of nameless extras. Sure, that doesn't excuse some silly scenes we've had with her, but I'm not gonna write her off as pure T&A just yet.

I agree that's one potential route they can take her (and tbh after Talisa, Ros has strangely grown on me.), but how to you demonstrate that arc without taking up valuable screen time? You can use her as a composite for other characters so she fits in (as has been done already to a degree.) but go too far and it begins to get a little ridiculous. As the story gets steadily more intricate and starts to move towards the end game, I see less and less place for Ros. I think the best thing would be for her to take the role of Ser Dontos in LF's schemes, whilst also spying on LF for Varys. Playing both sides will then get her killed, demonstrating what you suggest, and tying up her arc nicely so that we can focus more on the actually important things.

0.09 - 0.10 Robb and Talisa

0.11 - 0.12 Daenerys

0.13 - 0.14 Meera

0.14 - 0.16 Brynden

0.18 - 0.24 Jon, Tormund and Mance: 'You're Ned Stark's bastard.'

0.25 - 0.26 Melisandre

0.26 - 0.27 Bran

0.27 - 0.29 Jaime

0.30 - 0.34 Tywin: 'Your Grace.'

0.35 - 0.36 Joffrey

0.41 - 0.48 Catelyn

0.48 - 0.50 Catelyn and Talisa

1.07 - 1.13 Arya

1.17 - 1.22 Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger and Pycelle

1.23 - 1.26 Varys, Littlefinger and Pycelle

1.32 - 1.33 Cersei and Tyrion

1.33 - 1.34 Sansa and Shae

1.34 - 1.35 Jaime and Brienne

1.35 - 1.36 Robb

1.37 - 1.38 Jorah and Daenerys

1.38 - 1.39 Cersei

I should be studying.

Well aren't you a dear. Thanks for that, I couldn't quite figure out where Talisa was when Elio mentioned her. But that's the back of her head, alright then. She'd better not be at the Twins.

Now get back to studying!

Well aren't you a dear. Thanks for that, I couldn't quite figure out where Talisa was when Elio mentioned her. But that's the back of her head, alright then. She'd better not be at the Twins.

All the information we have received currently suggests that Talisa will be present at the Red Wedding. Just accept it now and you might not be bitterly disappointed when it happens. :)

Archived