New Game of Thrones Video Log

Westeros

Not sure how I feel about Talisa being at th RW, or even existing on the show, but i guess it'll tie up any loose ends, i never liked her addition to the show nd replacement of Jeyne. I hate to say it but i was dissapointed by a number of things in S2.

:agree: I won't be sorry to see Talisa go...

I find it hard to believe that GRRM would fail to mention to the showrunners that Jeyne Westerling was going to become super important to the main plot, and likewise I doubt the showrunners would just say "fuck it" and totally alter the character for the hell of it. It doesn't really make sense, given what we know about GRRM's relatively intimate involvement with the show.

I'm gonna raise an unpopular idea by saying that Ros could fill a useful function in the story. I think D&D intends her to be the symbol of all the victims of sexual violence that happens when evil men have power. That will have a stronger emotional impact if it happens to one character whom the audience knows, rather than countless numbers of nameless extras. Sure, that doesn't excuse some silly scenes we've had with her, but I'm not gonna write her off as pure T&A just yet.

I agree and I also think that she's performed the function of giving more insight into the characters of Littlefinger, Theon, and Joffrey. Otherwise, viewers who haven't read the books wouldn't know the backstory of Littlefinger's feeling for Cat, or his ruthless cruelty, or Theon's inferiority complex, etc etc. There are tons of details she's managed to bring out, all while being so annoying!

And yes, she does annoy the hell out of me. But I acknowledge that she performs several functions of storytelling.

The reason I don't want this to happen is that we don't know whether Jeyne Westerling may become relevant in the last 2 books.

I guess you're right, it would spoil the books. Maybe it's worth it, though.

(No reflection on the actress, she's good, if only they'd have had her play Jeyne instead...)

I find it hard to believe that GRRM would fail to mention to the showrunners that Jeyne Westerling was going to become super important to the main plot, and likewise I doubt the showrunners would just say "fuck it" and totally alter the character for the hell of it. It doesn't really make sense, given what we know about GRRM's relatively intimate involvement with the show.

Actually I think I read an interview with GRRM that said he was the one to propose the character Jeyne be renamed, and I'm 100% sure Jeyne won't play an important part in the next books (she's not pregnant and I don't believe the "switching" theories) I'll try to find the link to such interview

ETA, found the interview, but aparently he decided to rename her after the character was already changed by D+D

If Talisa is going to be at the RW

I think it gives more credence to the idea she'll be filling the role of fake Arya for the show

WHAAAAAAAAT

I didn't know about this theory.

On the one hand it's really weird since she's like 30 but on the other, we didn't get Jeyne Poole did we? But from that logic anyone could be the fake Arya, even Ros. I think it's more likely they'll just get a random girl, unless they hurry up and introduce someone for the viewers to care about

Where are people getting the idea that Talisa will be at the RW?, I recall something about this myself but I've forgotten.

If she is in fact there, I hope she dies too. We can see from this video that she has a scene with Catelyn, maybe it's a "bonding" scene to make the three of them closer and thus make the whole event even more tragic. It would be amazing if the scene played out exactly as in the book (except obviously with a silent Talisa sitting beside Robb) up until when Robb gets hit with the arrows,then Talisa goes to comfort Robb by hugging/holding him while screaming his name etc.... Roose Bolton arrives and shoves the sword both through Robb's back and Talisa's body. Then it's the same again, Catelyn's reaction etc...

God I hope they keep Catelyn's last thought and make her say it out loud.

WHAAAAAAAAT

I didn't know about this theory.

On the one hand it's really weird since she's like 30 but on the other, we didn't get Jeyne Poole did we? But from that logic anyone could be the fake Arya, even Ros. I think it's more likely they'll just get a random girl, unless they hurry up and introduce someone for the viewers to care about

This pops up with regularity and is regularly misunderstood, so let me clarify.

Since we know the actress was present for the Red Wedding, according to the theory Talisa will be captured and sent to Ramsay. She'll not be fake Arya as age disparity is too great, but simply have her narrative role in the wider story. She'll marry Ramsay as the widow of the King in the North, thereby strengthening the Bolton claim to the North.

This is all theory of course, but it has several advantages:

• a known character will take the place of one we have never before seen on the TV show (Jeyne Poole)
  • having someone pretend to be Arya without anyone noticing could end up being silly on TV, since what works on page might not work on screen (visual medium and all that jazz)
  • in the books, fake Arya has some horrendous scenes. In fact, her whole arc is sickening, so an underage actress is out. Talisa, on the other hand doesn't have that problem, so Oona Chaplin can be mutilated and abused to your heart's desire :blushing:

I think they're making Talisa a Lannister spy in the series, similar to how the Westerlings appeared to be working with Tywin.

If she's at the Red Wedding I don't think she'll be killed, she'll probably be working with the Freys and Boltons to ensure all goes to plan.

You know, cause the Red Wedding just wasn't horrific enough as is :laugh:

This pops up with regularity and is regularly misunderstood, so let me clarify.

Since we know the actress was present for the Red Wedding, according to the theory Talisa will be captured and sent to Ramsay. She'll not be fake Arya as age disparity is too great, but simply have her narrative role in the wider story. She'll marry Ramsay as the widow of the King in the North, thereby strengthening the Bolton claim to the North.

This is all theory of course, but it has several advantages:

• a known character will take the place of one we have never before seen on the TV show (Jeyne Poole)
  • having someone pretend to be Arya without anyone noticing could end up being silly on TV, since what works on page might not work on screen (visual medium and all that jazz)
  • in the books, fake Arya has some horrendous scenes. In fact, her whole arc is sickening, so an underage actress is out. Talisa, on the other hand doesn't have that problem, so Oona Chaplin can be mutilated and abused to your heart's desire :blushing:

Thanks for explaining!

Spoilers for all 5 books under the cut:

I understand the pros, definitely, but, wouldn't it be TOO MUCH of a deviation from the books? Considering Jeyne Poole is still alive in book 5, Talisa will be on FOREVER, have scenes with Theon and whatnot. And then what are they going to do with her?

Would the North really rally to save the random girl from Volantis with whom Robb was married for one hot minute instead of "Ned's little girl"? Surely Jon wouldn't do all that he does to save this nameless chick instead of his beloved little sister. Will everyone just forget to keep looking for Arya?

I think, considering Oona Chaplin's been taking bow and arrow classes and stuff, that she'll be taking on the role of Dacey Mormont in the RW, which would make for a dramatic death and a clean end. My money's on a random girl for Arya (one that looks underage but isn't), preferrably so we can see LF's part in this.

Thanks for explaining!

Spoilers for all 5 books under the cut:

I understand the pros, definitely, but, wouldn't it be TOO MUCH of a deviation from the books? Considering Jeyne Poole is still alive in book 5, Talisa will be on FOREVER, have scenes with Theon and whatnot. And then what are they going to do with her?

Would the North really rally to save the random girl from Volantis with whom Robb was married for one hot minute instead of "Ned's little girl"? Surely Jon wouldn't do all that he does to save this nameless chick instead of his beloved little sister. Will everyone just forget to keep looking for Arya?

I think, considering Oona Chaplin's been taking bow and arrow classes and stuff, that she'll be taking on the role of Dacey Mormont in the RW, which would make for a dramatic death and a clean end. My money's on a random girl for Arya (one that looks underage but isn't), preferrably so we can see LF's part in this.

Everything's possible, but I still like the theory :cheers:

I think I read somewhere that British laws are very strict and disallow even people 18+ from doing nasty stuff with their underage characters. Not sure if true, but if so, then even an older actress couldn't play "Arya" with everything that's done to her. Of course, HBO could just omit those scenes, but that would in all honesty be a mistake. Her "treatment" is very important to convey properly I'd think. However you put it, a minor is in all likelihood out.

When you reach that conclusion, only one course is left - change the protagonist to someone else. And Talisa fits the bill nicely.

And why wouldn't Jon and northern lords try to save her? She *is* their queen, after all. If they had any love and respect for Robb (and we all know they did), wouldn't they do anything to save her, if only to do right by Robb?

Anyway, I think it's a neat little theory that works quite nicely. We'll see how it goes.

Everything's possible, but I still like the theory :cheers:

I think I read somewhere that British laws are very strict and disallow even people 18+ from doing nasty stuff with their underage characters. Not sure if true, but if so, then even an older actress couldn't play "Arya" with everything that's done to her. Of course, HBO could just omit those scenes, but that would in all honesty be a mistake. Her "treatment" is very important to convey properly I'd think. However you put it, a minor is in all likelihood out.

When you reach that conclusion, only one course is left - change the protagonist to someone else. And Talisa fits the bill nicely.

And why wouldn't Jon and northern lords try to save her? She *is* their queen, after all. If they had any love and respect for Robb (and we all know they did), wouldn't they do anything to save her, if only to do right by Robb?

Anyway, I think it's a neat little theory that works quite nicely. We'll see how it goes.

That's interesting if it's true about the law... and I agree that they probably won't cut the scenes, whoever they go with. I think Jon and the lords won't mind as much as they would have if it was Arya. With Robb dead, she's not the queen anymore, and they have never even met her.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they manage their way out of this conundrum :cheers:

If Talisa ends up being at the Red Wedding, she will most certainly be killed. Walder Frey most likely hates her even more than Robb, considering that she is the reason why he chose to spit on his family. Walder Frey asking about Jeyne in the book also indicated that he would have liked it very much to get his hands on her...

If Talisa ends up being at the Red Wedding, she will most certainly be killed. Walder Frey most likely hates her even more than Robb, considering that she is the reason why he chose to spit on his family. Walder Frey asking about Jeyne in the book also indicated that he would have liked it very much to get his hands on her...

Ah, but having said that, handing her over to Ramsay Bolton would be a fate worse than death.

Archived