NFL 2012 Superbowl Prelude: Gods Must Be Strong

Sivin

So for the second straight year, a quarterback has declared himself Elite, and it has done wonders for his career. I wonder who will try making a bold "elite" statement this offseason. Tony Romo? Jay Cutler? Blaine Gabbert?

According to Boomer's CBS Sports Minute this morning, Joe Flacco.is but one win away from truly being considered elite...

To be fsir, there are at least 15 elite and right now according to ESPN. Flacco isn't far from that.

The unsung hero for the Ravens has to be the O-line. They've been playing out of their minds in terms of stonewalling guys like Dwight Freeney, Von Miller and Requisite Patriots pass-rusher #1.

I mean Joe Flacco has played great, no question, but it's also a helluva lot easier to look like a stud when you're only sacked 4 times in 3 games, despite being a statue in the pocket and rarely if ever harried

I think a big part of the difference between "lights out" Flacco and "maddeningly inconsistent" Flacco is how clean his jersey is by the fourth quarter.

So for the second straight year, a quarterback has declared himself Elite, and it has done wonders for his career. I wonder who will try making a bold "elite" statement this offseason. Tony Romo? Jay Cutler? Blaine Gabbert?

It's funny how all the QBs who prove themselves as "elite" despite being completely middling in the regular season happen to play with defenses who start playing lights out football in the playoffs.

This post unintentionally has come off as competely bashing Flacco. Not my intention - he's been a legit Superbowl QB in the playoffs. But just curious when the last time anyone has held the Patriots to 13 points.

To be fsir, there are at least 15 elite and right now according to ESPN. Flacco isn't far from that.

Which is what pisses me off. From Dictionary.com:

Elite

[ih-leet, ey-leet] Show IPA

noun

( often used with a plural verb ) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

( used with a plural verb ) persons of the highest class: Only the elite were there.

a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group: the power elite of a major political party.

a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Compare pica1 .

adjective

representing the most choice or select; best: an elite group of authors.

So almost half the starting QBs in the league are "elite" now? Ridiculous. Listen, sometimes a guy has to fall off the list to make room for someone else. Peyton Manning was great this year, but I don't know that "elite" is a word we'll be able to use about his noodle arm much longer.

So who are the "elite" anymore?

If we stick with the conventional definition it would have to be:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Eli Manning

Is that correct? Is there anyone else that should be considered? Roethlisberger has a couple of Super Bowl wins, but I wouldn't put him on there. Drew Brees is great, but is he elite? Beyond that, is there anyone else that you would feel comfortable saying that they are "persons of the highest class?"

If we stick with the conventional definition it would have to be:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Eli Manning

Is that correct? Is there anyone else that should be considered? Roethlisberger has a couple of Super Bowl wins, but I wouldn't put him on there. Drew Brees is great, but is he elite? Beyond that, is there anyone else that you would feel comfortable saying that they are "persons of the highest class?"

Change Eli and add Brees and that's your elite QBs in this league right now. Eli is far too inconsistent to be considered elite in my opinion. He's very good and can have some elite moments, but he's not consistent. Those 4 with Brees are consistent.

I might even have to add Big Ben. If he's not there, he's in a tier just below all by himself.

So... The list of who is an "elite" QB is a list of QB's who have been on teams that have won the Superbowl except for Big Ben because he raped someone.

What an incredibly shallow way to evaluate talent.

Here is a football opinion with some chutzpah... Jay Cutler is pound for pound the best QB in the NFL followed closely by Matt Ryan.

So... The list of who is an "elite" QB is a list of QB's who have been on teams that have won the Superbowl except for Big Ben because he raped someone.

Huh? Are you arguing that Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers aren't elite? That the only reason they're "elite" is because they've been on Super Bowl teams? If so, you're an idiot.

YMMV. I don like Ben on the field for various reasons and have considered him to be the least important piece of the Steelers Super Bowl wins.

While I'm at it... When can we stop comparing Brady to Montana? In some ways he's statistically better, but realistically, Montana only played 9 seasons in San Fran and won a Super Bowl in almost half of them.

Huh? Are you arguing that Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers aren't elite? That the only reason they're "elite" is because they've been on Super Bowl teams? If so, you're an idiot.

If Brady's career started in 2006, There would be virtually no difference between him and Tony Romo. Peyton Manning has seen his best days, Rodgers is incredible, but I don't think he is the most talented, and Brees is too short... Wait a minute...

Brees is elite

Beyond that, is there anyone else that you would feel comfortable saying that they are "persons of the highest class?"

If I had the time and energy, I was going to photoshop a picture of Cutler with a top hat and monocle. But since I'm lazy and have no time, you can just imagine that.

If Brady's career started in 2006, There would be virtually no difference between him and Tony Romo. Peyton Manning has seen his best days, Rodgers is incredible, but I don't think he is the most talented, and Brees is too short... Wait a minute...

Brees is elite

I think we're of a similar mind on Brady, however to compare him to Romo isn't fair. He's had several playoff wins since that year.

My overall point is more to the effect of when can we drop guys from the list? Did it really take Favres on field death and off field dick wavery to open a slot for someone else?

If I had the time and energy, I was going to photoshop a picture of Cutler with a top hat and monocle. But since I'm lazy and have no time, you can just imagine that.

I could get on board with Cutler as The Penguin in the planned Justice League movie. :lol:

Brees is elite

First, Brady's career didn't start in 2006, it started in 2001 so using that argument is ridiculous. Second, even if it did, Brady's numbers are better almost across the board, not to mention he has had several playoff victories including two Super Bowl appearances, neither of which Romo has. So again, that's a ridiculous argument as well.

As for Rodgers, no one said he was the most talented but have you seen his success? His numbers are the best we've ever seen from a QB starting his first 5 seasons and he has had some success in the biggest games. It's not even close.

As for Peyton, you can say he's seen his best years yet he still had a great season, one of the top 5 this year. And even if he has seen his best years, that doesn't change what he has done over the last 10 years.

Basically, your argument is fucking stupid. You're saying Brees is elite and no one else and nothing you say actually backs any of it up.

This argument over what quarterbacks are and aren't elite is reminiscent to me of the baseball punditocracy endlessly splitting hairs over which pitchers are and aren't "aces".

Some guys are good, some guys are great, all of them can't win games by themselves. Whether by luck or skill, some are placed in a position to deliver in the big moments. Either way, you gotta win with what you got. Labels really only matter for pissing contests. "My QB is more elite than yours!"

This argument over what quarterbacks are and aren't elite is reminiscent to me of the baseball punditocracy endlessly splitting hairs over which pitchers are and aren't "aces".

Some guys are good, some guys are great, all of them can't win games by themselves. Whether by luck or skill, some are placed in a position to deliver in the big moments. Either way, you gotta win with what you got. Labels really only matter for pissing contests. "My QB is more elite than yours!"

Or, just fun sports debates.

I mean that's what we do as sports fans. We try to figure out the correct order of things and who was the greatest of all time or over, under or properly rated. It's just how we're wired and has carried us through, what, 25 NFL threads at least this season?

I also blame Joe Flacco's agent. He's the only one who keeps repeatedly insisting his client is a top 5 guy to which those of us who believe in truth, justice and the American way have to say "oh....hellllll no".

Archived