NFL 2012 Superbowl Prelude: Gods Must Be Strong

Sivin

Yeah if Ratliff's fate wasn't sealed before it is now, Incredibly dumb.

I hope they can use the salary they'll save this year by cutting him (7 million) to sign Anthony Spencer. A few other players will get cut, too, so they can get under the cap. Top of that list is Doug Free who is making huge left tackle money(10 million) and was horrid this year. Other cuts could be Dan Connor (4 mil) and Gerald Sensabaugh(3.8 mil). Word is they may re-work Brandon Carr's and Miles Austion's deals.

Yeah, I don't see how Ratliff makes it. First fought with the boss and now he's followed up with an incredibly stupid and dangerous off the field incident, especially considering recent context. And he's having trouble seeing the field. Bet Jerry's out of patience here.

This all happened right after Jerry Jones came out and promised that he was going to stick by Josh Brent throughout his legal issues and would give him an opportunity to play again if it became possible. So Jones has to eat some crow now to be able to cut Ratliff. I think that he will do so in order to keep Spencer. He can save $5 million off the cap if Ratliff is cut before June 1st.

edited to say that I am wrong... The Cowboys are on the hook for $5 million no matter what. They can save $4 million of that this year if they designate him as a June 1st cut, but it would go against the cap the following year. In this case, I think that they should probably keep Ratliff.

Doug Free is another one that can't be cut right now because of salary. He has only been paid a little under 5 million on a 17 million guaranteed contract.

The bottom line, is I think that the Cowboys have set themselves up for a bottom 10 finish next year and a new coaching staff. Why else even consider letting Bill Callahan call plays?

Yes, but if he were to be given a chance somewhere I bet they could run some devastating Guard option-passes or Center read-options! It could be yet another quantum leap for NFL offenses! :P

I like where your heads at.

Forget not knowing whether the RB or QB has the ball. With Jamarcus Russell, defenders wouldn't be able to tell if that's a guard that's pulling or JaMarcus Russell taking off with the football? I would run a scheme with 3 overweight TEs, the biggest RB I could find and a DT converted to FB that would confuse the defense as to which 300 pounder will end up with the ball on any given play. There'd be constant pre-snap motion among all these guys such that the defense will have no idea who the damn skill guys are by the end of it. The entire offense would be centered on the statue of liberty play as you'd easily be able to hide the football behind all that girth as 300 pounders pull out in all directions.

It'd be unstoppable. I'd just be concerned that the act of motioning any of these guys out would leave them too tuckered for the actual play. Still if I was a Jets fan, I would demand implemantion of this offense over Mark Sanchez.

Forget not knowing whether the RB or QB has the ball. With Jamarcus Russell, defenders wouldn't be able to tell if that's a guard that's pulling or JaMarcus Russell taking off with the football? I would run a scheme with 3 overweight TEs, the biggest RB I could find and a DT converted to FB that would confuse the defense as to which 300 pounder will end up with the ball on any given play. There'd be constant pre-snap motion among all these guys such that the defense will have no idea who the damn skill guys are by the end of it. The entire offense would be centered on the statue of liberty play as you'd easily be able to hide the football behind all that girth as 300 pounders pull out in all directions.Sanchez.

You could also pull Jared Lorenzen out of retirement to run trick plays with 2 QBs. Think of the possibilities!

I like where your heads at.

Forget not knowing whether the RB or QB has the ball. With Jamarcus Russell, defenders wouldn't be able to tell if that's a guard that's pulling or JaMarcus Russell taking off with the football? I would run a scheme with 3 overweight TEs, the biggest RB I could find and a DT converted to FB that would confuse the defense as to which 300 pounder will end up with the ball on any given play. There'd be constant pre-snap motion among all these guys such that the defense will have no idea who the damn skill guys are by the end of it. The entire offense would be centered on the statue of liberty play as you'd easily be able to hide the football behind all that girth as 300 pounders pull out in all directions.

It'd be unstoppable. I'd just be concerned that the act of motioning any of these guys out would leave them too tuckered for the actual play. Still if I was a Jets fan, I would demand implemantion of this offense over Mark Sanchez.

Kind of like a fatter version of the Patriots offense.

This all happened right after Jerry Jones came out and promised that he was going to stick by Josh Brent throughout his legal issues and would give him an opportunity to play again if it became possible. So Jones has to eat some crow now to be able to cut Ratliff. I think that he will do so in order to keep Spencer. He can save $5 million off the cap if Ratliff is cut before June 1st.

The difference is that Brent is young and made a terrible, terrible error. No one on that team should be making that error again after it cost them two teammates (one for good). So I don't see how it would be hypocritical of Jones.

Deadspin had this article on Facebook just now.

What caught my eye was their tagline "An Irsay always pays his debts." :lol:

Basically the crazy Colts owner sent some random guy on Twitter $8,500 for correctly guessing the score of the AFC championship game.

You could also pull Jared Lorenzen out of retirement to run trick plays with 2 QBs. Think of the possibilities!

Just found a list of Jared Lorenzen's nicknames. Really brings me back:

"Quarter(got)back"

"Hefty Lefty"

"The Pillsbury Throwboy"

"The Abominable Throwman"

"J.Load"

"Round Mound of Touchdown"

"Tubby Gunslinger"

"BBQ (Big Beautiful Quarterback)"

"Battleship Lorenzen"

"Butterball"

"Lord Of The Ring-Dings"

"He Ate Me"

Just...lol.

For those who think quarterbacks get preferential treatment by the NFL, this news will cause an bit of a stir.

NFL.com has reported that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been fined $10,000 for going all Daniel-san/Ty Cobb on Ravens safety Ed Reed and kicking his cleats into Reed's leg at the end of a run.

This news came a few hours after it was reported San Francisco running back Frank Gore was fined $10,500 for wearing his socks too low in the NFC championship game.

So let's review. Brady went in with a dangerous slide to Reed (and, even if you want to argue the "dangerous" part of that statement, let's all agree it was more dangerous than a player not having his socks up by his knees), and he's fined less than Gore for a sock violation.

Archived