NFL 2012 Superbowl Prelude: Gods Must Be Strong

Sivin

In the midst of his semi poetic didactic lecture on love and football, did John Harbaugh just cite O.J. as an inspiration? I know he doesn't mean Simpson, but anything seems possible today. Also, he always seems nicer than my Harbaugh. My guy clearly sees everything as a competition, including press conferences...I thik John probably sees things slightly the same, but he hides it better.

The Ravens have a former player and current member of the front office named O.J. Brigance. He has a disease called ALS which will eventually kill him and presently means he has to talk like Stephen Hawking with a computer.

Guess I'm rootin for the 49ers too. While I love dixon, Dickson and ngata I think it would be cool as hell for LMJ to get a sb ring. Plus the 49ers run the kind of football I want to see more of. I want more ostrichspiderlizards in the nfl. I want speed and wide open plays.

So, after a certain point the whole thing became like that commercial with the Insurance …. guy who is pretending to be snow on a roof… and the roof starts to creak … and you know that they whole thing is one… two… flakes of snow away from collapsing.

And then… the snow falls, the roof collapses and you have a Harbaugh Bowl. That Happened. And the Patriots Let It Happen.

Let me just first say that the Pats were beaten by a team that just played much much much much better. It wasn’t luck; it wasn’t any one play (well…) but the fact that the Ravens hung tight the whole time and won the game that was there for them to win. They beat the Pats up. And it showed.

It started with the loss of Rob Gronkowski last week (an injury I blatantly underrated) and then… while he was listed as “probable”, 1st round pick Chandler Jones was out and did not play a single snap; Jones is the Pats' only legit pass rusher. That would all have been bad enough. The Ravens? According to the CBS report Baltimore had “No Significant Injuries” … thank God for steroids and human growth hormones modern medicine. The snow was falling.

But in almost consecutive drives the Pats had drives that “stalled” at the Ravens’ 30+ yard line… and they punted both times. Whaaaaa?

Rewind. Aqib Talib was my only saving grace for the secondary who was VASTLY improved with him in the line-up (Football Outsiders had the pats 46% BELOW average against the pass before Talib; 3% ABOVE average after Talib). With Talib you could single-cover Boldin with confidence and then double-team Smith. Good plan. And it worked GREAT! … .. right up until the point where Talib broke up a short pass, tweaked his hamstring and … the roof began to creak. Talib, OUT thigh, did not return… Suddenly, the secondary that could not stop Flacco in the first game of the season was now the VERY SAME SECONDARY that could not stop him in the AFC Championship game.

Then the Pats FUCK UP the last drive in the first half. They take the ball – Hernandez fails to run out of bounds with the catch, Brady runs – can’t get Out of Bounds. Tick tick tick tick tick tick… and they … call a timeout after wasting 10 seconds? Did the Pats hire Andy Reid when I wasn’t looking? First snowflake…

Pats then enter the second half … they stop the Ravens and march the ball down the field and look tremendous. They are throwing the ball at will… and then on 3rd and 3… Welker… drops it at the Ravens 28. In his hands… drop… Pats then… punt? At the Ravens 34? REALLY!????! But I thought the Pats don’t play scared? I thought Belichick like to go for it on 4th down (you know- like I was told 605,000 times after 4th and 2)? I thought this offense could get 5 yards? Really? Did the Pats also hire Norv Turner as their offensive coordinator?

So punt. There was 12:17 left in the quarter. That was the last time the Pats had the lead with the ball. That was the turn of the whole game. Pats had a drive, a first down, and a potential 3-7 points GONE because Welker dropped a ball (Hmmm... where have I heard that one before). On the play Patrick Chung- a mediocre member of the Pats secondary -gets hurt and I do not believe returns. The flakes are now falling and the roof is sagging. Its going to collapse, we just don't know when.

Without Talib, Pats cannot- in any way – stop the Pass (something I had been saying all season). The Ravens- to that point, had scored 7 whole points. There next two drives:

10 plays, 87 yards, TD

10 plays 63 yards, TD

Baltimore 21, Pats 13.

Next set of downs, Pats MUST score to stay in this game. Pats .run three times, pass for another 12, gaining good momentum. Next play:

Bernard Pollard … the last snow flake… slams into Steven Ridley, KO’ing him, fumble, Ravens recover, Ridley does not. Ballgame. The roof collapses. Ravens go 47 yards on 4 plays (all designed passing plays) TD. Harbaugh Bowl.

That was what I was talking about last week; some teams can overcome the obstacles; the Pats? Could. Not. IT wasn’t just injuries- though Talib was gigantic. Without Talib the Ravens could put long sustained drives together that not only kept the Pats’ offense off the field but kept the Ravens’ D well rested- this I had stated earlier was a HUGE part of the Pats' game- wear out the Ravens D. But it did not happen like that; the Pats D could NEVER get off the field and put the Ravens D on it. This was EXACTLY why the Pats lost the first Ravens game; exactly why they lost to the 49’ers later on; same reason they lost to the Seahawks. They could NEVER get the D off the field.

However, when Brady WAS on the field- now without Ridley and Gronkowski -the Ravens had no problems- they double-teamed Hernandez (I think he caught ONE ball in the second-half) and just hit Welker each time he got the ball. Lloyd was fine, but very Deion-Branch-esque; never spectacular (and that was true for pretty much all season). Welker dropped passes, the running game fumbled, and Brady never had a clean lane to throw the rest of the night. He threw 50 times. Yeah- you lose those games. His two INTs- while not good, were not dispositive of the outcome. They had lost the game well before that. The roof had collapsed; the snow was in the walls, mold growing, …

With all that, if you had told me after week 12 that during the AFC Championship game that the Pats would lose Jones and Gronkowski before the game and then lose Talib before the second quarter and lose Ridley before the 4th quarter... I mean… I don’t know many teams that can recover from that. The Pats certainly couldn’t.

And the other game? HA! Atlanta went scoreless in the second half… just like the Pats. Yeah, they lost too. Denver New England San Francisco is going to kill the Ravens. Right?

Long off season begins. Ugh… did you guys know that John and Jim Harbaugh are brothers? Did you know that? How much of that and Ray Lewis can I take? I mean, will I watch the whole game? Ughhhhhh… can I fake getting happy about hockey? What about baseball… Red Sox signed… some … people?

I think I should just sit this one out, try not talking for a while and talk to my girlfriend I met on Facebook who I have strangely not met in 3 years but keep telling people I have.

SF 41

Ravens 22

To be honest, I am only watching the Superbowl for 2 reasons:

1. Harbaughs losing their shit and being memorialized forever in gif format

2. Trying to figure out how badly conformed you have to be to have a sidewinder hooded lizard ostrich run.

Here's another odd question. Welker is likely gone after this season, no? Lloyd wasn't that good either. That basically turns the pats into the 2011 Stanford cardinal - two great TEs, good running game, no receivers to speak of. The defense likely wont be significantly better either.

Do they go after some big FA shots like Bowe? Or do they try for playing the longer game, knowing Brady's window is closing?

Why wouldnt they re-up Welker

because he's older, not performing amazingly any more and they won't match what he can get in FA. They already had to franchise him. Chances are they couldn't reach a deal.

Bullshit.

He's gone 2-2 in the AFCCG and been to two very close Super Bowls. Unless you're only counting the Super Bowl as a 'big game', in which case, only one QB wins one each season.

Sometimes, you just get beat. Flacco and the Baltimore defense stepped up big in the 2nd half. I didn't think they were for real, but they earned their win and I have to give them credit for it.

So my line was parody. Just making fun of the commonly repeatedly line about Peyton prior to 07

Do you honestly think ESPN could have come up with anything better than that if the Pats won instead?

Good to see you hanging around.

And I have to piggyback that comment.

Ever heard the expression "Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed"? I've learned that with ESPN it's "Expect nothing and you'll still be disappointed."

Archived