So if Jon dies..

Andal blood

Even though he dies he will not be dead after the ressuration(?) and being dead is the requirement to get rid of vows. He is not bound by his words while in the state of being dead but his vows get renewed when he makes the decision to keep on living. This is similar to a man getting "revived" in modern times. In some cases you are technically dead before being brought back to life via CPR(or other methods) but that does not mean that your heirs have inherited your properties even though that should happen when you die.

This means that his vows stand and he can not(and should not) leave the Nights watch.

-------------

I believe that there are some spelling and grammatical errors there but English is not my first language.

Jon will never really be "free" of his NW vows. This just isn't an issue that will have a definitive, universally accepted answer. This question will always be divisive amongst ASOIAF fans, and I think it's safe to say the Westerosi characters will mirror our own divide on this.

If Jon leaves and puts on a crown, then there will be characters who insist he is an oathbreaker, in addition to being a bastard-born, tree-worshipping (for the Southerners) beastling. Those who say this were likely going to be his enemies when he put on a crown anyway, death or no though. But those in Westeros who want to support him (for whatever reason) will have a bit more moral ground to stand on b/c of his death and resurrection.

His death really muddies up the issue of whether he would be justified in leaving the Watch or not, by providing ammunition for taking either stance on the issue in a debate . Whereas, if he had not died, it would have been pretty clear and definitive that he was oathbreaking. Now suddenly it is a morally grey dilemma, which we know GRRM loves. Maybe that's why he wrote it in in the first place.

Jon will never really be "free" of his NW vows.

When the NW ceases to exist he will be.

I don't see everyone's obsession with the NW anyway. An organization which was used as a dumping ground for criminals, orphans, vagrants and unwanted sons. That's all it was in the ASOFAI timeline. And it wasn't even taken seriously at that. Just a convenient alternate solution for the death penalty.

I hope the NW is destroyed personally, there's nothing redeeming or noble about it anymore. Jon can do more to protect the people by wearing a crown then by staying with a penal institution...

Yea - I think that technically he is still responsible for the vow. But it won't be the first time someone deserted for a greater purpose. The old gods didn't strike Bloodraven down when he decided to 'head up' the old gods religion instead of remaining at his post...

I think Jon will realize he can do more with a crown than as LC and will let his honor be damned for it. As someone said above his supporters will be glad. The North will be very glad to have an able Stark-blooded individual to lead them again. His detractors will use it to defame him, but they weren't going to be supportive anyways.

Unless there is no night watch. Or it gets relaunched with a different oath

It would be hilarious if BR and Bran were like 'yo man - that other crap in the oath was rubbish the Andals introduced - take it out!'

• 3 months later...

Jon is not going to be "Phoenix Downed" by Melissandra. GRRM has shown time and again his willingness to randomly murder his own characters, and no one ever "Dies, but gets better." Stoneheart is more like the mom from Pet Cemetary than Catelyn Stark.

And even if she did, I doubt his Brothers would see him as any different from a Wight, so they would likely just kill him again. Of course, the wildling are probably going to lose their shit over Jon`s murder and tear the Watch apart,since they outnumber the Watch by TENS to one, and are now south of the Wall.

Jon is not going to be "Phoenix Downed" by Melissandra. GRRM has shown time and again his willingness to randomly murder his own characters, and no one ever "Dies, but gets better." Stoneheart is more like the mom from Pet Cemetary than Catelyn Stark.

And even if she did, I doubt his Brothers would see him as any different from a Wight, so they would likely just kill him again. Of course, the wildling are probably going to lose their shit over Jon`s murder and tear the Watch apart,since they outnumber the Watch by TENS to one, and are now south of the Wall.

Beric Dondarrion seemed to be doing decently well, and he died something like six times before he finally kicked the bucket to make Lady Stoneheart.

Archived