Dune: Threat or Menace? To reread or retire.

thistlepong

difficult to stage though

Understatement of the century... or millenium?

Whatever, God Emperor was my favorite. I must have a thing for all-powerful, all-prescient train-sized worms who...

let themselves be destroyed in the most painful way possible - just because they love humanity that much.

Understatement of the page maybe, I wouldn't want to go too far you know **sips tea**.

God Emperor is odd because Herbert gives these info dumps about the tail end of Leto II's reign, yet all that is discussed will be swept away at the end of the book. I was probably too old when I first read it. I might have found the fishspeakers fascinating when I was 18ish

I'm not a fan, I thought it was OK, and it's obviously influential, but the entire thing reads like the thesis of a history major who did way too much drugs. And there's some general "I don't think humans work like that." Going on. And the Honored Matres *rolleyes*. And the giant sandworm. And the kid that was the reincarnation of.... And what the fuck was so special about Duncan Idaho anyway?

Some neat concepts, failed execution. (although the "poison gas tooth" scene is referenced in Grim Fandango, so it's not a total loss)

This is what made me go "WTF?" the most.

Why will nobody let this man die?!?!?!?

Understatement of the page maybe, I wouldn't want to go too far you know **sips tea**.

God Emperor is odd because Herbert gives these info dumps about the tail end of Leto II's reign, yet all that is discussed will be swept away at the end of the book. I was probably too old when I first read it. I might have found the fishspeakers fascinating when I was 18ish

:laugh:

The fishspeakers were a bore, granted, but they had their uses.

This is what made me go "WTF?" the most.

Why will nobody let this man die?!?!?!?

I came to terms with the all-Duncan Idaho-all-the-time by imagining him as the Indiana Jones of the Dune Universe. The guy had game.

I read the whole Dune series in one go when I was about 19, and loved it. All of it. So much so, in fact, that I even made it through TWO of the fucking prequels before admitting how badly they sucked, just cos I was so stoked to have more stuff about sandworms and spice and whatnot. I haven't dared re-read any of them as a more discerning adult, just in case. But as far as I can recall, the experience was like opening a window onto another universe and it was awesome; no recollection whatsoever of how well or badly the characters held up, just cos the worldbuilding was so impressive.

Warning: I also love the film. Yes, the David Lynch one. Which I can pretty much recite off by heart. Anyone with the misfortune to be in the same room as me while I'm watching it can have the joy of hearing me do all the voices.

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!

Warning: I also love the film. Yes, the David Lynch one. Which I can pretty much recite off by heart. Anyone with the misfortune to be in the same room as me while I'm watching it can have the joy of hearing me do all the voices.

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!

They make the Harkonens so freaking weird in that. The Baron especially, but Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Sting are pretty bizarre too.

They make the Harkonens so freaking weird in that. The Baron especially, but Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Sting are pretty bizarre too.

Drive! Drive them into utter submission! Show neither pity nor mercy! Go! GO!!!

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!

I'd watch it again. But how can you stand the Baron's pustules? That's where Lynch kinda lost me. :vomit:

I'm not a fan, I thought it was OK, and it's obviously influential, but the entire thing reads like the thesis of a history major who did way too much drugs. And there's some general "I don't think humans work like that." Going on. And the Honored Matres *rolleyes*. And the giant sandworm. And the kid that was the reincarnation of.... And what the fuck was so special about Duncan Idaho anyway?

Some neat concepts, failed execution. (although the "poison gas tooth" scene is referenced in Grim Fandango, so it's not a total loss)

Never talking to you again. If you don't know what's cool about Duncan Idaho, then you don't deserve to have read about him. :leaving:

:laugh:

The fishspeakers were a bore, granted, but they had their uses.

I came to terms with the all-Duncan Idaho-all-the-time by imagining him as the Indiana Jones of the Dune Universe. The guy had game.

Thank you ToL. You are my homie. Gosh darn these foolish men complaining about the beauty that is Duncan Idaho. It is also the best character name ever. Pfft.

and what's not to like? sting, the cast from twin peaks, butt rock, ultra vires tech, sean young, captain picard, the alphabet killer, von sydow, endless ergs, train-sized worms, talking cocks in tanks of red cocaine, timothy leary in the desert, religious fundamentalism triumphant, a che guevara foco war, ethnic minority's victorious war of liberation, and two hundred excellent one-liners. here be beauties that pierce like lasguns and burn like cold plasteel.

and what's not to like? sting, the cast from twin peaks, butt rock, ultra vires tech, sean young, captain picard, the alphabet killer, von sydow, endless ergs, train-sized worms, talking cocks in tanks of red cocaine, timothy leary in the desert, religious fundamentalism triumphant, a che guevara foco war, ethnic minority's victorious war of liberation, and two hundred excellent one-liners. here be beauties that pierce like lasguns and burn like cold plasteel.

Plus some guy was in Dune and Lord of the Rings. He is probably R. Scott Bakker's favorite author.

Archived