The Grand Small Council

Full-Faced Braavosi

Got this idea from Jon Snow's small council thread, but if you could compose the best Small Council possible, who would it be.

I leave it up to you to decide how you feel about the following issues, but personally this is meant to be without regard to who the king is or house relations (i.e. ignore the fact that the Starks hate the Lannisters). Simply, who would be the best at each position.

You might, however, consider whether the whole of the council will be greater or smaller than its constituent parts (i.e. might a person be great for a job, but be a detriment to the council due to his personality or something).

Feel free to add positions that you think are currently lacking on the council (e.g. Master of Foreign (Essos) Relations) or non council positions like the Wardens or KG members.

Also, if you have a couple people in mind for each position, please list them all (with ranks!?).

Positions:

-King: (If you'd like to choose a King)

-Hand of the King:

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard:

-Master of Coin:

-Master of Laws:

-Master of Whisperers:

-Master of Ships:

-Grand Maester:

Optional Additions:

-Court Clown:

-Master of Works(Projects Overseer):

-Commander of the City Watch (Gold Cloaks):

-Court Assassin:

Positions:

-Hand of the King: Davos, loyal almost to a fault but would still be guided by his own morals in the end, would be able to see things from the view of the Smallfolk

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Brienne Tarth, one of the few true knights in the series

-Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister, I wouldn't want to give Tyrion a position with too much power, but he is very intelligent, pragmatic and is less likely to be corrupted by the position since he is already a very wealthy man.

-Master of Laws: Jon Snow, has a strong sense of justice taught to him by Ned but also is capable of compassion and mercy.

-Master of Whisperers: Doran Martell, prudent and calculating

-Master of Ships: Asha Greyjoy, the Ironborn sure know sailing and Asha is the most reasonable and respectable of the lot

-Grand Maester:Pylos, young but has a good heart. All my fave maesters (Aemon, Cressen, Leuwin) have already died :(

Hand of the King: Tyrion Lannister, he's got experience and a title that's respected.

LC of the KG: The Greatjon, incredibly loyal and strong

Master of Coin: I'd probably hire the Braavosi Banker (Tycho?)

Master of Laws: Davos, honorable and believes in the laws even when they hurt him

Master of Whisperers: Bloodraven/Three Eyed Crow, obvious reasons

Master of Ships: Vic Greyjoy, the man is dumb as a bag of hair but obeys orders w/o question and is fierce warrior

Grand Maester: Don't care - let the Citadel send who they want

The only problem with this list is that I'm essentially letting a dwarf run the kingdom alongside a foreign banker, an onion knight/smuggler, a sorcerer, and a reaver/raper/murderer. The small-folk are probably not going to like my rule, but we almost assuredly would get shit done.

Spoilers

Positions:

-Hand of the King: Doran Martell. Wise and not to aggressive

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy or Brienne. Both are knights of honour. I dont trust Jaimie yet.

-Master of Coin: Lord Petyr Baelish. Even though this is a very conventional choice I think he has shown great skill in being Master Of Coin. Tywin would be a candidate if it werent for bad parenting.

-Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon. "But he is supposed to be king and you are mean and i love Stannis etc".-Fanboys/girls. I picked Stannis for I can choose from whomever and Stannis truly cares about justice.

-Master of Whisperers: Varys. Nuff said.

-Master of Ships: Victarion Greyjoy. If you could(and that is a big if) get Victarion to be loyal to your cause he would be the best Shipmaster. But the Shipmaster has to be Ironborn I think, anything else makes little sense.

-Grand Maester: Oh how I wish that Maester Luwin was alive. But Maester Pylos is the best I know of that is alive

However the small council should be different for each king. I would not choose Victarion for Maester of ships for rash kings like Robert or Joffrey but they would be good for calm men like Stannis or Doran Martell.

Spoilers

Positions:

-Hand of the King: Doran Martell. Wise and not to aggressive

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy or Brienne. Both are knights of honour. I dont trust Jaimie yet.

-Master of Coin: Lord Petyr Baelish. Even though this is a very conventional choice I think he has shown great skill in being Master Of Coin. Tywin would be a candidate if it werent for bad parenting.

-Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon. "But he is supposed to be king and you are mean and i love Stannis etc".-Fanboys/girls. I picked Stannis for I can choose from whomever and Stannis truly cares about justice.

-Master of Whisperers: Varys. Nuff said.

-Master of Ships: Victarion Greyjoy. If you could(and that is a big if) get Victarion to be loyal to your cause he would be the best Shipmaster. But the Shipmaster has to be Ironborn I think, anything else makes little sense.

-Grand Maester: Oh how I wish that Maester Luwin was alive. But Maester Pylos is the best I know of that is alive

However the small council should be different for each king. I would not choose Victarion for Maester of ships for rash kings like Robert or Joffrey but they would be good for calm men like Stannis or Doran Martell.

I disagree with LF as a choice, we haven't seen any true loyalty from LF to any known house, people may argue Varys wouldn't be a wise choice but we know he can be loyal to a house.

Hand of the King: Davos Seaworth

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Brienne of Tarth

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Laws: Samwell Tarly

Master of Whisperers: Varys

Master of Ships: Asha Greyjoy

Grand Maester: Maester Aemon

Positions:

-Hand of the King: a mix between Stannis, Tywin, Tyrion and Mance

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Arthur Dayne, Brienne

-Master of Coin: Littlefinger

-Master of Laws: Stanis (if he is not the king, and it's a big if,)

-Master of Whisperers: Bloodraven

-Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth

-Grand Maester: Maester Cressen

snip

Looks like you prize loyalty.

The only problem with this list is that I'm essentially letting a dwarf run the kingdom alongside a foreign banker, an onion knight/smuggler, a sorcerer, and a reaver/raper/murderer. The small-folk are probably not going to like my rule, but we almost assuredly would get shit done.

Haha - shit would definitely get done, be it good or otherwise. This is indeed why I added the caveat that the best for each position individually might not be good as a whole or in the long run.

Quite true - I've added "King" to the list of positions for those who want to choose and construct a council based on that.

I disagree with LF as a choice, we haven't seen any true loyalty from LF to any known house, people may argue Varys wouldn't be a wise choice but we know he can be loyal to a house.

I agree that LF might not be the best choice, but to top off his lack of loyalty, I also think he might not have been as good of a Master of Coins as we think. It seems like he just borrowed horrible amounts of money to fund the present time needs while sacrificing the future to debt (sound familiar?) when he knew he wouldn't be around to deal with it.

Mine Small Council would be:

Hand of the King: Tywin Lannister - competent and pragmatic.

Lady Commander of the Kingsguard: Brienne of Tarth - skilled and loyal.

Master of Coin: Petyr Baelish - competent and resourceful.

Master of Laws: Eddard Stark - just and serious.

Master of Whisperers: Varys - resorceful and inteligent.

Master of Ships: Stannis Baratheon - hardworking and competent.

Grand Maester: Luwin - inteligent and competent.

I agree that LF might not be the best choice, but to top off his lack of loyalty, I also think he might not have been as good of a Master of Coins as we think. It seems like he just borrowed horrible amounts of money to fund the present time needs while sacrificing the future to debt (sound familiar?) when he knew he wouldn't be around to deal with it.

Sounds to familiar but that is not my perception of what Littlefinger did. This quote is taken from http://asoiaf.wester...-petyr-baelish/

Petyr did not simply collect the gold and lock it in a treasure vault. He paid the king's debts in promises, and put the king's gold to work. He bought wagons, shops, ships, and houses. He bought grain when it was plentiful and sold bread when it was scarce. He bought wool from the north and linen from the south and lace from Lys, stored it, moved it, dyed it, and sold it. He would take the profits and leand them out, bringing home more money from the interest on the loans.

I do not have a book quote but I am pretty sure this was somewhere in the books.

But it is true that Littlefinger is only loyal to Littlefinger. But if I had Varys on my Small council his primary job would be to keep an eye on Littlefinger.

Edit: I do however see why one would not have LF in his Small council. That's why Tywin would have been my first choice

Sounds to familiar but that is not my perception of what Littlefinger did. This quote is taken from http://asoiaf.wester...-petyr-baelish/

I do now have a book quote but I am pretty sure this was somewhere in the books.

But it is true that Littlefinger is only loyal to Littlefinger. But if I had Varys on my Small council his primary job would be to keep an eye on Littlefinger.

Edit: I do however see why one would not have LF in his Small council. That's why Tywin would have been my first choice

Fair enough - a true modern financier then.

I make him teach somebody else and then toss him in the deepest dungeon (the ocean) before he bribes his way into power.

Optional: Court clown: Danaerys Targaryen

Haha, I truly laughed at that one. Love the idea, adding it to the list (though as a Dany fan, I have to deny the choice. A3dmittedly she's gotten annoying and foolish.).

King: Stannis Baratheon

Hand: Ser Davos Seaworth

Master of Laws: Doran Martel

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Ships: Wyman Manderly

LC of KG: Ser Barristan Selmy

Optional: Court clown: Danaerys Targaryen

Yes this! Great choices...

PS: UnCat can be the Clown too...

Archived