The Grand Small Council

Full-Faced Braavosi

Which Brandon is this? The Shipwright? Why, oh why?

Meant Shipwright, got autocorrected I think or I just wasn't paying attention to what I was writing.

Because he is rich? Or is he also good with monies?

There is a line in the book I believe between Ned and at least Littlefinger if not LF and Varys discussing the wealth of the crown or lack there of and it is stated that The Mad King left the treasury full which is probably due to Tywin being the Hand of the King and not Areys himself. Plus, The Lannister and still in power and wealthy do to Tywin being smart with his money not just being rich.

Pre or post 3EC?

preferably pre only do to he being useful in other ways as a full human and not tree-man, though post 3EC is most likely more powerful.

Meant Shipwright, got autocorrected I think or I just wasn't paying attention to what I was writing.

Haha, I thought you had some inside information about him being a great naval commander and ironically being named Shipwreck. I suppose the question still stands as to why pick a man who failed at sailing across the sea and most likely drowned there.

There is a line in the book I believe between Ned and at least Littlefinger if not LF and Varys discussing the wealth of the crown or lack there of and it is stated that The Mad King left the treasury full which is probably due to Tywin being the Hand of the King and not Areys himself. Plus, The Lannister and still in power and wealthy do to Tywin being smart with his money not just being rich.

Fair point. He is intelligent and prudent and undoubtedly good with the coffers.

preferably pre only do to he being useful in other ways as a full human and not tree-man, though post 3EC is most likely more powerful.

Was he a particularly good* information broker before he had his warging/greenseer/3EC stuff?

Haha, I thought you had some inside information about him being a great naval commander and ironically being named Shipwreck. I suppose the question still stands as to why pick a man who failed at sailing across the sea and most likely drowned there.

He built a mighty fleet, I'm sure he was also a fairy skilled sailor/commander. And for all we know he found the "new bountiful lands" of the sunset sea and never looked back. Plus, he was really the only legendary sailor I could think of that you can trust with the royal fleet.

Was he a particularly good* information broker before he had his warging/greenseer/3EC stuff?

He was most likely a warg/greenseer before the 3EC, granted not as skilled as he is now as the weirnet but still capable. and he is a skilled warrior and commander.

My Current List - I was going to choose only from the living, but then I stuck in Ned and Tywin (it's more of, only from characters we actually encounter in the book, alive at some point).

-Hand of the King: Jaime Lannister (I know... wtf? I'm thinking in his post-hand life, he's become a no bullshit guy who has no real desires for power or anything else. He is there to keep the others in line. Now, I may have to make sure Cersei is out of the picture...)

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy (Loyal to a fault - plus I've got Jaime as a backup.)

-Master of Coin: Tywin Lannister (I can't trust Littlefinger enough to put him on the council.)

-Master of Laws: Eddard Stark (I almost worry he'll be too honorable with the law...)

-Master of Whisperers: Varys (Provided I appoint future-Bran/3EC to keep an eye on him... heck, and everyone else too.)

-Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth (Loyal and competent on the sea.)

-Grand Maester: Marwyn the Mage (Yeah, I don't trust him at all. But part Maester, part necromancer-wizard probably... I'll take him.)

Optional Additions:

-Court Clown: Pretty Pig

-Master of Works (Projects Overseer): Tyrion Lannister (I'm thinking he has some good ideas, but keeping him below the SC will make sure he doesn't let the power go to his head. And he did make the drains of Castelry Rock flow well.)

-Commander of the City Watch (Gold Cloaks): Bronn (Just one more skilled sword around me. He has a bit of experience. And I can always turn to him for a little dirty work. As long as he knows I'll always pay him more than anyone else.)

-Court Assassin: Jaqen H'ghar (Until Faceless Arya becomes elite.)

I'm thinking 3 Lannisers is a little dangerous, but I like Jaime's change in attitude and having him in control of the more ambitious two would be an interesting dynamic. Though I do have a feeling Tywin wouldn't have this - so I may need a backup Coin Master.

King: Aegon VI Targaryen. It's his not his right to rule, it's his duty. He's been brought up as smallfolk and trained as a King. Young and idealistic. With a good loyal council, he'll be the best.

-Hand of the King: Lord Tyrion Lannister, cleverest of them all. Without having to bother about politics, he can help Aegon rule well.

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Barristan Selmy, the last true knight.

-Master of Coin: Lord Petyr Baelish, as long as he's not playing politics.

-Master of Laws: Lord Eddard Stark, an honorable man who'll uphold the law.

-Master of Whisperers: Varys+3EC and Bran.

-Master of Ships: Lord Stannis Baratheon+Asha Greyjoy.

-Grand Maester: Maester Marwyn+Qyburn.

Optional Additions:

-Court Clown: Patchface, Joffrey.

-Master of Works(Projects Overseer): Lord Davos Seaworth, honest and reliable.

-Commander of the City Watch (Gold Cloaks): Bronn.

-Court Assassin: Jaqen H'ghar

-King's Justice: Ser Robert Strong.

-First Swordsman: Syrio Forel.

-Lord Commander of NW: Lord Jon Snow.

-Other Advisers: Brynden Tully, Wyman Manderly, Doran Martell, Tywin Lannister, Mace Tyrell, Paxter Redwyne, Mathis Rowan, Randyl Tarly, Jon Arryn. Mance Rayder.

In the Year 1 AO (After Others, 304 AAL)

-Queen: Queen Daenerys Targaryen, First of her name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, The Prince that was Promised, The Mother of Dragons, The Stormborn.

This would not be the outcome that makes me smile the most, but I still believe it is the inevitable one. I believe that Dany is the PtwP and is destined to seize westeros by helping to defeat the Others.

-Hand of the Queen: Prince Aegon Blackfyre, Hand of the Queen, Warden of the East, Lord of Storm's End and Lord Paramount of the Stormlands.

Aegon and Dany initially came into conflict as Aegon sat on the Iron throne. Aegon took Viserion and a second Dance of Dragons began. The two set their conflict aside as heads of the Dragon when the Others attacked. When Aegon's lineage was revealed (Unknown to him when he sat on the throne) Aegon stepped aside in favour of Dany. Dany rewarded his service with the seat of the extinct Baratheons and gave him the Dornish honour of styling himself a Prince. He is also made Warden of the East in place of the somewhat in dispute Vale.

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Lord Commander Barristan Selmy.

Assuming he survives I think Dany would make only one choice.

-Master of Coin: Lord Tyrion Lannister, Warden of the West, Lord of Casterly Rock and Lord Paramount of the Westerlands.

I do not think that Tyrion and Daenerys will be friends. I think she would see his use, however, and keep him in this strong position.

-Master of Laws: Lord Davos Seaworth, Lord of Cape Wrath.

Although he was considered a traitor for supporting the deceased Stannis. Aegon saw his use as a loyal man, reminding him of the departed Jon Connington. The Hand convinced his Queen to spare Davos' life, and her master of Laws has served her well ever since.

-Master of Whisperers: Lady Arya Stark

Returning from the temple with new strengths, but sure of her name and duty, Arya Stark serves with a spy network that puts Varys little birds to shame. She uses her Faceless Man skills and her natural warging abilites to know everything that goes on in King's Landing

-Master of Ships: Prince Victarion Stormborn.

Victarion married Dany to give her a fleet. She still makes use of that fleet and she is still wed to Victarion as her true love would not set aside his vows. Victarion took the name Stormborn to signify that he is not of royal blood. His children bear the name Targaryen as heirs to the Iron throne.

-Grand Maester: Grand Maester Alleras, called the Sphinx.

No-one has ever earned their links as quickly as Alleras. The Maester's council was forced to take notice. Only a few in the kingdom know of Alleras' true identity as Sarella Sand, including Aegon Blackfyre who carries on an affair with her.

Lord Paramount of the North: King Rickon Stark, Warden of the North, Lord of Winterfell and King of the North.

The fierce young Rickon inspires vast loyalty amongst his people. Although he has knealt to the Iron Throne, he continues to use the title of King in place of Lord Paramount. It is rumored his Sister Sansa is the true political leader, from her seat in the Vale alongside Harry Arryn

Queen of the Iron Islands: Queen Asha Greyjoy, Lady of Pyke and Queen of the Iron Islands.

Like the North, the Iron islands have knealt, but use a Royal title. Asha Greyjoy sits at the head of House Greyjoy, as the last scion of that house. She and her husband have a wealth of children to carry on the line.

Lord Parmount of The Riverlands: Lord Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun and Lord Paramount of the Riverlands.

The Tully's were restored to their proper seat when the Lannister/Tyrell alliance was evicted from the throne.

Lord Paramount of the Vale: In dispute

War still rages in the Vale. The forces of Peytr Baelish, Harry Arryn and the Mountain Clans still fight for control of the area. Forces mass at Winterfell and Storm's End on behalf of house Arryn, but the Eyrie is often thought to be untakeable...

Castelan of the West: Ser Goldenhand the Good.

All in the west know his true identity, but it is not a secret spoken of in public. Tyrion helped Jaime escape the Queen's justice and now he holds the west in Tyrion's name with a new identity.

Castelan of the Stormlands: Gendry Waters.

The son of Robert Baratheon holds the Stormlands in Prince Aegon's name. Although Aegon seeks to have him legitimized as Gendry Baratheon and named the heir to Storm's End, the Queen refuses to relent and encourages Aegon to find a wife.

Lord Paramount of the Reach: Lord Bealor Hightower, Lord of Oldtown and Lord Paramount of the Reach.

With all the Tyrell's siding with Tommen after Aegon refuses the thrice married Meargary, they lost their posistion as Lord's Paramount when Dany took the Iron Throne. The Hightowers were forever faithful to the Dragons and were granted the Reach for their fidelity.

Princess of Dorne: Princess Arrianne Martle, Warden of the South, Princess of Sunspear and Princess of Dorne.

Doran finally fell to his old age when the secong Long Night began. Arrianne accended to her seat and is currently seeking a husband to carry on the Martell name. Both Daenerys and Aegon are fond of Dorne and have given them Wardenship of the South.

Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: Lord Commander Jon Targaryen, called Lord Snow and Azor Azhai Reborn.

This again, is based on what I think is the likely outcome. Jon finds out his true identity and Daenerys begs him to rule alongside her - saying that it was Jon Snow that took the vows - not Jon Targaryen. Jon responds that he took the vows - He will wear no crowns, father no children and take no wives and he goes back to the wall giving Dany her betreyal for Love.

King: Aegon VI Targaryen. It's his not his right to rule, it's his duty. He's been brought up as smallfolk and trained as a King. Young and idealistic. With a good loyal council, he'll be the best.

It'll be interesting to see his character to develop. I have some small worry that he will actually start claiming it as his right (to be honest, you have to be pretty arrogant to think it's your duty - i.e. nobody else being as capable as you).

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Barristan Selmy, the last true knight.

I think a lot of Brienne-lovers will beg to differ.

Master of Coin: Lord Petyr Baelish, as long as he's not playing politics.

That's like asking for toast that hasn't been toasted.

snip

Great job.

That would certainly be an interesting ending that set up such a happy family of former enemies: a Targaryen, a Blackfyre, a Lannister, a Stannis Baratheon supporter, a Stark, a Greyjoy, and a Martell (bastard Sand). And of course Barristan who served the Targaryens, the Baratheon/Lannisters, and the Targaryen/Stormborns.

King - Stannis Baratheon

Hand of the King - Davos Seaworth, Lord of Dragonstone

(those two are a given)

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard - Clayton Suggs, the man is vicious and dumb, but he's fanatically loyal and brave, good characteristics in a glorified bodyguard. He's lowborn, so this is the highest he'd rise.

Master of Coin - Tycho Nestoris. Stannis is already familiar with this Ironbank representative so that'd help interactions. Help with the repayment of the Kingdoms loans, is impartial to any factions in the Seven Kingdoms and can facilitate foreign investments.

Master of Laws - Rolland Caron (formerly Storm). This position would be overhauled as it's largely pointless. Renamed the "Master of Justice", his role would be primarily military, dispensing the King's Justice to outlaws, rebel factions and foreign invaders. Would start the building of a royal army. Perfect for a seasoned killer

Master of Whisperers - Melissandre. Use visions to aid the king, creates terror in the enemies of the realms and likely has connections in the free cities.

Master of Ships - Aurane Velaryon (formerly Waters). A competent sailor and (if he brings Stannis the dromonds) loyal. Driftmark is close to Kingslanding much like Dragonstone.

Grand Maester - Merywn the Mage. Haven't seen much of the man. But he seems pragmatic and well traveled. An expert on supernatural too.

Court Clown - Patchface. Hopefully after somebody works out his prophetic abilities. Useful for creeping out enemies.

Commander of the City Watch (Gold Cloaks) - Justin Massey. Smart and loyal man.

-King: (If you'd like to choose a King): Robert Baratheon

-Hand of the King: Eddard Stark

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristran Selmy

-Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

-Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon

-Master of Whisperers: Varys

-Master of Ships: Victarion Greyjoy

-Grand Maester: Marwyn the Mage

Optional Additions:

-Court Clown: Hot Pie

-Master of Works(Projects Overseer): Davos Seaworth

-Commander of the City Watch (Gold Cloaks): Sandor Clegane

-Court Assassin: Jaqen H`ghar

-Squire: Edric Dayne and Podrick Payne

-Blacksmith: Donal Noye & Gendry

-Steward: Eddison Tollett

I chose to make a new set based on Stannis becoming king (my prefered option) rather than Daenerys becoming Queen (What I think will happen)

In the Year 1 WE (Winter's End, 302 AAL)

-King: King Stannis Baratheon, First of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. Called Dragonbane and the Unifier

Stannis has thrown back the Dragons that ravaged the Kingdom, whilst Jon Snow and the Night's Watch threw back the others. In ending the Dance of Dragons all the lords of the seven kingdoms have bent the knee, celebrating his defence of the Kingdoms and determination to save his people.

-Hand of the King: Lord Jon Lightbringer, Warden of the Far North, Lord of Dawn's Blade, Lord Paramount of The Wildlands. Defender of the Realm. Azor Azhai Reborn.

Jon's true heritage is revealed, and he has led the Night's Watch to a complete victory over the Great Other. With the end of the Night's Watch, Jon was given the lands north of the wall to call his own and rules over the people called the wildlings with his wife Val. Jon bent the knee and created a new family, rather than purse his father’s claim to the throne. In reward he has been named Warden of the Far North, to protect against threats that might come from beyond the lands of always winter. Jon was made Hand of the King after the death of Davos Seaworth, and has aided King Stannis fairly ever since

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Lord Commander Balon Swann.

Swann served his King faithfully and was pardoned for any crime. He lives for his new king and has overseen a new king’s guard, restored to its former glory.

-Master of Coin: Lord Tycho Nestoris, Envoy from the Iron Bank.

The Iron Bank will not allow another mistake like Robert’s reign. Tycho Nestoris is working for the Iron Bank, advising the throne on matters of finance. Stannis has reluctantly accepted the Envoy as his official Master of Coin, giving him the honorary title of Lord.

-Master of Laws: Lord Randyll Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill

Stannis is not fond of Randyll Tarly, but admits the man is firm with law breakers. Stannis and his master of laws are more alike than he would care to admit and the king frequently grinds his teeth over Tarly’s condescending attitude towards the Grand Maester.

-Master of Whisperers: Lady Arya Stark

Lady Arya Stark is the only choice for this position. She is as fierce as she is cunning, and uses every skill she has picked up in her journeys to aid Stannis’ rule. She is elated to be reunited with Jon and claims to talk with Bran often with her warging abilities.

-Master of Ships: Lord Wyman Manderlly of White Harbour.

Wyman Manderlly swore to Stannis when Rickon Stark was returned to Winterfell. He has never once regretted that decision. After his combined efforts with Davos Seaworth to defeat the Greyjoy fleet, Stannis has made him his Master of Ships. The Fingers of Davos is the largest warship ever built and the pride of Stannis fleet, named for the brave Lord who sacrificed himself in battle.

-Grand Maester: Grand Maester Samwell, called the Slayer.

Samwell Tarly earned his links quickly and proved invaluable in the War against the Great Other. Stannis Baratheon told the Citadel he would have no other in the Grand Maester’s place on the Small Council, and they were forced to concede. Sam is forced to face his father every day and has become braver – He still conciders himself a coward in physical confrontation though.

Castellan of the Wildlands: Lady Val Lightbringer.

The Wildlands were added to the Seven Kingdoms when the wall fell and the Great Other was defeated. Although the Wildlings do not kneel, they gladly fight for those they respect. Jon and Stannis have both earned that accolade. The wife of Jon Lightbringer holds the Wildlands in his name.

Lord Paramount of the North: Lord Rickon Stark, Warden of the North, Lord of Winterfell and Lord Paramount of the North.

The fierce young Rickon inspires vast loyalty amongst his people. Rickon knelt to Stannis on the advice of Bran and Jon. He currently masses his forces to invade the Vale, searching for his sister Sansa. The Iron Islands were added to the Northern territories as a reward for their service in both Stannis’ war for the crown and the war against the Great Other. Whilst the Iron Born quail under this indignity, there is nothing they can do – for now...

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands: Lord Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun and Lord Paramount of the Riverlands.

The Tully's were restored to their proper seat when the Lannister/Tyrell alliance was evicted from the throne. Edmure serves his people well, but the Riverlands were perhaps the most damaged by the civil war.

Lord Paramount of the Vale: In dispute

There is civil war in the Vale. Lord Baelish will not be evicted, and after the death of Harry Hardying, no one is quite sure who the heir to the Arryn name is. Rumours that Sansa Stark is being held in the Eyrie have pushed Lord Stark to enter the war, and the mountain clans still present a problem for any unattended traveller. The vacant seat of Warden of the East causes Stannis much concern.

Lord Paramount of the West: Lord Martyn Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock and Lord Paramount of the Westerlands.

Lord Martyn is but a child and bears the disgraced Lannister name. His cousin Daven serves as Warden of the West and Castellan of the Rock until Martyn comes of age. This causes some tension with the Riverlands after Daven’s successful campaigning there.

Lady Paramount of the Stormlands: Princess Shireen Baratheon, Lady of Storm’s End, Lady of Dragonstone and Lady Paramount of the Stormlands

The Princess holds the Stormlands in the Baratheon name. It is expected that it will pass to her second son, and Dragonstone to her third.

Lord Paramount of the Reach: Lord Alekyne Florent, Warden of the South, Lord of Highgarden and Lord Paramount of the Reach.

The Florent’s have risen high after the exile of house Tyrell. Alekyne sits in their much coveted Highgarden, Lord Axell holds Brightwater Keep and Ser Erren is Castellan at Dragonstone.

Prince of Dorne: Prince Trystane Martel, Prince of Sunspear and Prince of Dorne.

Doran finally fell to his old age when the second Long Night began. Arrianne fell alongside Aegon the false dragon, and her brother Trystane took the throne. He has has continued his betrothal to Mrycella Hill, despite her newly revealed base-born status. Rumblings of a Westerlands/Dornish alliance to declare war on the throne have been repeatedly rebuffed by Trystane, and it is rumoured that his bannermenare unruly.

Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: None Needed

The Night’s Watch is no more – Disbanded in favour of exploring a new frontier when the Great Other brought down the wall.

Stannis keeps quite a North heavy court greatful for their assistance after Rickon was returned to Winterfell. Whilst some dispute lingers over old wounds from the Civil War, everyone agrees they are much better off under Stannis than they were at war.

Archived