The Princess and the Queen [SPOILERS]

I'm not sure if Egg would be stupid as take all the dragon eggs with him to Summerhall, even if he believed that he had a foolproof plan to hatch them.

We can reasonably assume that eggs taken to Summerhall were either destroyed in whatever event destroyed Summerhall, or are at least lost between its ruins. That event could have greatly diminished the Targaryen egg capability, but we should also keep in mind that at least Aegon IV had as many eggs to give one of them casually away to Lord Butterwell.

If Egg is right, then Daeron the Good still had enough eggs to lay an egg in the cradle of all his children and grandchildren. Since Egg is among the youngest of Daeron's grandchildren he would have only gotten an egg after all his elder siblings and cousins had gotten their eggs. This indicates that there were quite a lot of dragon eggs.

If most or all the Targaryen eggs were believed to be destroyed at Summerhall then Mace Tyrell's remark in ADwD is strange. He should have known that there were no more dragon eggs.

Thus it makes sense to assume that some eggs survived Summerhall, and that those disappeared without a trace during/after the Sack of King's Landing. This would explain why some people like Mace still believed that dragon eggs were on Dragonstone.

If Egg did not change the custom Aerys and Rhaella would have had dragon eggs in their cradles. They were born and raised during the reign of Aegon the Unlikely.

Jaehaerys II may have broken with that tradition and prevented Aerys from giving an egg to Rhaegar. Perhaps because they did not have enough, perhaps because he was grief-struck from the tragedy and blamed himself for it. In fact, it's not unlikely that Jaehaerys II had much to do with this whole thing. He was the one who believed in prophecy. He was the one who forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry because supposedly the prince that was promised would come from their line. It's not impossible that Summerhall and the prophecy about the promised prince - and Jaehaerys's and Egg's belief that Rhaella's son would turn out to be him - were connected to each other.

Yes, I'm basing that purely on the lack of mention. There have been a ton of opportunities for those eggs to be mentioned. They have huge symbolic value. Consider that some dude named Quickfinger was caught stealing dragon eggs during the 1st BF rebellion. We hear about Aegon III bringing mages over to hatch his, and Summerhall, but not a peep with regards to Rhaegar, Aerys II, etc. Viserys never mentions it to Dany either, which is a huge omission as well. Viserys was older than Aegon but younger than Rhaenys so he'd basically be the 2nd of his generation to get an egg, if there were any. If Rhaenys had one perhaps it was taken by Varys during the sack, but there's just no way Viserys would flee to Dragonstone without his.

There are so many omissions that it becomes compelling (combined with the notion that many were likely destroyed at Summerhall). The idea that not all were lost at Summerhall is an assumption, we need to remember. It's a reasonable assumption but perhaps it's also wrong.

We should consider the possibility that the Targs had no eggs after Summerhall, or at some point not too long after.

Aerys II became king in 262, so I would think he had an egg in his youth. Rhaegar is the first I might think may not have had an egg.

Do we know whether only males received eggs or if males and females both received eggs?

I sort of seem to recall a description of Egg (or another Targ in the D&Es) having an egg that almost resembled ond of Dany's.

We know that Princess Elaena Targaryen - and thus most likely her sisters Daena and Rhaena as well - had a dragon egg. This seems to confirm that Targaryen males and females were given eggs, just as Targaryen males and females have been dragonriders.

If the Targaryens once could hatch their eggs, it would make to continue the practice since there might come a Targaryen who could do it again (or it might come a time when it just started to work again).

Aerys II became king in 262, so I would think he had an egg in his youth. Rhaegar is the first I might think may not have had an egg.

Do we know whether only males received eggs or if males and females both received eggs?

I sort of seem to recall a description of Egg (or another Targ in the D&Es) having an egg that almost resembled ond of Dany's.

Well, Egg mentions that all his brothers have eggs. We know he has two sisters, and he does not specify if they have eggs. We also know that Elaena Targaryen had an egg. She was the first generation post-Dance, the generation before Daeron the Good.

So we can't say for sure, we can merely speculate that either:

-Aegon IV or Daeron stopped giving eggs to girls,

or

-they didn't stop giving them to girls and Egg's comment isn't meant to be that significant

Incidentally, Elaena's egg seems to be the only described egg that could be one of Dany's. Hers is described as being the same colors as her hair: "platinum white with a bright gold streak down the middle." Compare to Viserion's egg: "pale cream streaked with gold." Viserion himself is described as the "white dragon" his horns, wing bones and spinal crest (down the middle) are gold.

The eggs described in D&E have similar colors but do not match any of Dany's.

Jaehaerys II may have broken with that tradition and prevented Aerys from giving an egg to Rhaegar. Perhaps because they did not have enough, perhaps because he was grief-struck from the tragedy and blamed himself for it. In fact, it's not unlikely that Jaehaerys II had much to do with this whole thing. He was the one who believed in prophecy. He was the one who forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry because supposedly the prince that was promised would come from their line. It's not impossible that Summerhall and the prophecy about the promised prince - and Jaehaerys's and Egg's belief that Rhaella's son would turn out to be him - were connected to each other.

Good catch there.

I'm not sure if Egg would be stupid as take all the dragon eggs with him to Summerhall, even if he believed that he had a foolproof plan to hatch them.

Why would it be foolish to use all the eggs at Summerhall? That's only true if people had some idea that the eggs might be destroyed. We have no reason that I know of to assume anyone involved at Summerhall was thinking that the eggs were at risk. The things are basically huge rocks, as we've seen.

I would argue the exact opposite is true. They are desperate to hatch the eggs (and aren't worried about them being destroyed)

If they knew, or suspected, or worried that the eggs might be destroyed, sure they might hold a few back. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence for this.

We can reasonably assume that eggs taken to Summerhall were either destroyed in whatever event destroyed Summerhall, or are at least lost between its ruins. That event could have greatly diminished the Targaryen egg capability, but we should also keep in mind that at least Aegon IV had as many eggs to give one of them casually away to Lord Butterwell.

If Egg is right, then Daeron the Good still had enough eggs to lay an egg in the cradle of all his children and grandchildren. Since Egg is among the youngest of Daeron's grandchildren he would have only gotten an egg after all his elder siblings and cousins had gotten their eggs. This indicates that there were quite a lot of dragon eggs.

If most or all the Targaryen eggs were believed to be destroyed at Summerhall then Mace Tyrell's remark in ADwD is strange. He should have known that there were no more dragon eggs.

Aegon IV giving away an egg doesn't mean much. This is the same guy who gave away Blackfyre! Also he apparently got all 3 of Butterwell's daughters pregnant, though that could be exaggerated.

As to Mace Tyrell, I'm not sure we should take his comment literally. He called it a "fabled hoard of dragon eggs". He was being flippant in his response to Swyft, who was claiming Mace earned plunder at Dragonstone.

Interesting idea for sure...

Archived