The Hooded Man new (?) theory...(possible spoilers)

BlueEyedCrow

• 10 months later...

I'm not seeing any really good candidates. It's not Osha, she's on Skagos with Rickon. It's not the Blackfish, he would be crazy to put himself at risk in Winterfell for such little purpose. It most definitely is not Jamie Lannister, incognito is not his style. It's not Theon having gone all multiple personality crazy. It could be Benjen Stark, but then who led Bran to safety if not an undead version of Benjen Stark?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On January 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM, BlueEyedCrow said:

My new theory, and I'm not really sure if it has or has not been thought of before (probably has), is that the hooded man is the crypt statue carver.

I like this theory for a lot of reasons, but think that ultimately it fails. My reason is that Maester Lewin suggests they need to find a stone carver who knew Ned's likeness. This would seem to suggest that there isn't a position of Crypt Stone Maker at Winterfell which might have been occupied for some years...even maybe 2 generations.

It makes sense that there wouldn't be a position like this. After all, why would there be? Even though the starks have been blessed with many births while being cursed with many early deaths, only the Lord of Winterfell (or King in the North before Torren knelt) gets his likeness carved there. It is mentioned that it was an oddity that Lyanna was down there, but that that was what Ned wanted (something I feel has some kind of meaning), so how often would this guy actually practice his craft? Even with the boost given by Ned putting Lyanna there, there has been Lord Rickard, Brandon, Lyanna and Eddard in nearly 20 years. This isn't a feasible job. 

It is far more likely that when a Lord dies they find a stone carver and take him away from his normal duties of carving stones for walls and shit, preferably one who has lived in Winterfell and has known the face of the Starks, and pay him handsomely to carve the likeness. 

There is no mention of there being an official guy for this and no reason to assume it.

All that said I must reiterate that I really like the HM/Stone Carver idea and think it is quite clever. Especially because it matches up with the biblical Joshua as a stone cutter.

Archived