The Hooded Man new (?) theory...(possible spoilers)

BlueEyedCrow

• 4 weeks later...

My vote for the HM's identity is Hallis Mollen.

1) Last seen headed to WF with Ned's bones. The Theon chapter prior to HM just happens to have another Northerner opening the crypts.

2) Being the former captain of WF's guard he would be known to Theon. This would explain their apparent familiarity with each other.

3) Identified Theon twice before actually talking to him. Hal was noted for saying the obvious.

4) In GoT Cat tells Robb, Theon, & co about Lysa's letter. Theon vows "[Ned] is a second father to me.." and "My lady ... my House owes yours a great debt." Prior to this conversation Hal had just left the room. If he heard or knew about Theons words that would account for the HM calling Theon ...turncloak...kinslayer...false... .

I assumed it was Mance on my first read as well. And I don't know why it can't be Mance.

But I do like a lot of these theories. I was talking with a friend who said he thought it was Howland Reed. I have no idea...thoughts?

I hadn't really given the identity of the Hooded Man much thought until this thread, but after reading sarah.jenice's post on the first page, I'm thinking that it might be Howland.

Howland would know that Theon was raised alongside Robb and the rest of Ned Stark's children as one of them, hence the kinslayer comment. He could have traveled north in search of Meera and Jojen, and the time span between ACoK and ADwD would give him plenty of time to get there. He knows Theon supposedly killed Bran and Rickon but his own children were not beside those bodies. He may assume Ramsay and his men killed them when they took Winterfell, which is why he's targeting Bolton men (though I don't know if we can be sure these men were specific targets or just the ones most vulnerable at the time). Crannogmen are known for being stealthy, and Howland, as their lord, is probably very well suited for the assassinations that have been going on in Winterfell. I think this would be a pretty badass introduction to a character we have been hearing about since the first book in the series and still haven't seen.

I don't think Howland Reed would kill a child. A child killer seems to be special kind of bad in these stories.

BTW, it is time for Lord Reed to enter the story and try to find Jojen and Meera. Ned was keeping information about Howland. Howland was never the same after getting to Lyanna's "rescue"-was he broken hearted or maimed by the Kings Guard? So he could be the HM without being the killer of LW. It seems that Howland would want to pay respects to Ned's bones and couldn't stay away. I do think the killer was someone connected to the Red Wedding or Robb. Who needs to pay back the Freys and the Boltons? I also think the Damphair is going to come looking for Theon and Asha. He won't like the Theon he finds so I think he would walk away from him. Theon failed to recognize Asha, so why wouldn't he fail to recognize the Damphair? I like the idea of a double plot, like Jon Arryn's murder.

I don't think Howland Reed would kill a child. A child killer seems to be special kind of bad in these stories.

BTW, it is time for Lord Reed to enter the story and try to find Jojen and Meera. Ned was keeping information about Howland. Howland was never the same after getting to Lyanna's "rescue"-was he broken hearted or maimed by the Kings Guard? So he could be the HM without being the killer of LW. It seems that Howland would want to pay respects to Ned's bones and couldn't stay away. I do think the killer was someone connected to the Red Wedding or Robb. Who needs to pay back the Freys and the Boltons? I also think the Damphair is going to come looking for Theon and Asha. He won't like the Theon he finds so I think he would walk away from him. Theon failed to recognize Asha, so why wouldn't he fail to recognize the Damphair? I like the idea of a double plot, like Jon Arryn's murder.

I agree, I don't think Howland would kill a child, but like Inspector said, I think it's very possible that Big Walder killed Little Walder. If Howland is the HM, then I definitely think that was the case

My vote is definitely Harwin but that won't be my main point now. I came across something interesting. The killed Walder supposedly was playing dice? The only other character who mentions dice is Barbrey Dustin, who says that Roose plays with men just like some people tumble dice. Can there be some connection?

If I remember correctly, when Maester Luwin finds out about Eddard's death (via letter) he says to Bran that they would need to find a mason who could him (Eddard) justice. Anyone who can confirm this? If so, this would indicate that there's no "special Stark stone mason".

Is Maester Luwin dead?

I do not recall anyone seeing him die except Wex who wasn't looking to closely. And might have been misunderstood anyway.

He asked Osha for a drink of water and another "boon" if she would. She sent the others out of the Godswood and joined them a few moments later. The inference is that she gave him the gift of mercy.

He asked Osha for a drink of water and another "boon" if she would. She sent the others out of the Godswood and joined them a few moments later. The inference is that she gave him the gift of mercy.

I inferred Theon was dead at the end of COK.

I inferred Davos was dead after the battle of blackwater.

I inferred Arya would be wounded more seriously when an axe struck her head.

Inferring a character is dead does not make it so in ASOIAF

I inferred Theon was dead at the end of COK.

I inferred Davos was dead after the battle of blackwater.

I inferred Arya would be wounded more seriously when an axe struck her head.

Inferring a character is dead does not make it so in ASOIAF

He knows magic too. :D

Great Thread

Howland Reed....his son sees the future...so is he a visionary as well and knows details not directly presented to him, or info. was communicated in a number of magical ways presented in the books, greenseer, weirwoods, warging (another thread referred to Crannomen as descendants of COTF who are magical)...Other posters on this thread convinced me (ie: deformed at TOJ?)..you know who you are....and I am too tired to go back and directly quote you :closedeyes:

Bit of cracked pottery, peripherally related to the topic: One reason Barbrey Riswell wanted to see the crypts was to make sure that the doors were cleared so that Northern toops outside (drums in the Wolfwood) could sneak in through a tunnel. The doors had been covered with rubble as well as snow. During the tour opf the crypts mention was made of stairs to a lower level that Theon hadn't visited.

Hooded Man is an advance scout. Whatever his identity.

Bit of cracked pottery, peripherally related to the topic: One reason Barbrey Riswell wanted to see the crypts was to make sure that the doors were cleared so that Northern toops outside (drums in the Wolfwood) could sneak in through a tunnel. The doors had been covered with rubble as well as snow. During the tour opf the crypts mention was made of stairs to a lower level that Theon hadn't visited.

Hooded Man is an advance scout. Whatever his identity.

I like this one! The crypts are important somehow. I think this is strongly suggested. There is no mention of a secret tunnel to the crypts that I'm aware of - but it is established early from Bran's POV in AGOT that Winterfell has many secrets. Perhaps this is one of them.

So would this make the HM one of the Umbers in your opinion?

• 2 months later...

Archived