Bran, the King in the North?

Apple the Great

I really don't see why you people expect Bran to have a major major political role in the whole seven kingdoms or even just in the North in the future?

He's far too young. And if you start talking about his huge weirwood knowledge database I want to remind you that we have no idea how fast he can look through that database. So there's no reason to believe he'll grow to be a mature individual who'll play a major political role in the next two books.

Bran is a boy, and the way I've always seen it is that his new greenseer occupation was introduced for the sole purpose of revealing things that couldn't be revealed otherwise such as the best way to fight the others or Jon's parentage and maybe to use some old forgotten Singers (Those who sing the songs of the earth) magic against the others.

What's the point of having Bran at all? Jon could fulfill this role and he's closer to the caves. He could make a quick trip, learn to greensee and save the world. Bran as a cheap plot device is antithetical to Martin's complicated world. I don't see how anyone thinks he is just going to stay in the caves--the caves that appear connected to the Wall and WF.

And what's Summer supposed to do? He can't stay there--he needs more food and can't get it there. But he's not leaving Bran either. And Bran doesnt have magic--not the way you're describing. He can see through weirwoods. Not kill others.

Whether or not he plays a political role is only part of the issue. You are arguing that Bran won't be involved in the plot in any significant way--your out-there theory re Bran using the CorF magic notwithstanding. He has a purpose beyond growing into a friggin tree or just being a convenient plot device for history. Him and his sisters are all in apprenticeships with shady mentors. All are quite young. So by extension they can have no political purpose? Same must be true of Rickon then...

And even if Bran can't use the weirwood archive, he can still learn more than anyone else in the realm by warging ravens. Frankly, I don't understand how "you people" can't imagine any use for Bran aside from Westeros historian.

Jon cannot be king unless Bran and Rickon are dead and gone or simply just gone. Rickon may be found and returned to the North and will loyal houses behind him. Jon would never usurp anyone. Also, being legitimized puts you in line but behind everyone who is legit. Bran may never be found, take him out. Rickon is comming back but for how long? After him, Sansa, now if a septon, say the high Septon, after Aegon takes the throne in the next novel has the Septas inspect Sansa and declare her a virgin, then she gets Winterfell and Aegon becomes defacto leader of the North as well, See the apeal.

Aegon would only need to be sure of Bran and Rickon gone for good. This possibilty reminds me of Henry Tudor and Elizabeth York.

What's the point of having Bran at all? Jon could fulfill this role and he's closer to the caves. He could make a quick trip, learn to greensee and save the world. Bran as a cheap plot device is antithetical to Martin's complicated world. I don't see how anyone thinks he is just going to stay in the caves--the caves that appear connected to the Wall and WF.

And what's Summer supposed to do? He can't stay there--he needs more food and can't get it there. But he's not leaving Bran either. And Bran doesnt have magic--not the way you're describing. He can see through weirwoods. Not kill others.

Whether or not he plays a political role is only part of the issue. You are arguing that Bran won't be involved in the plot in any significant way--your out-there theory re Bran using the CorF magic notwithstanding. He has a purpose beyond growing into a friggin tree or just being a convenient plot device for history. Him and his sisters are all in apprenticeships with shady mentors. All are quite young. So by extension they can have no political purpose? Same must be true of Rickon then...

And even if Bran can't use the weirwood archive, he can still learn more than anyone else in the realm by warging ravens. Frankly, I don't understand how "you people" can't imagine any use for Bran aside from Westeros historian.

Jon already has his hands quite full without having him become a greenseer. Read what I wrote before that last post, I DON'T think Bran will stay in the caves. I make exactly the same point as you about the network of caves under the Wall.

First, we don't know what greenseers are entirely capable of. Second I never said he would come out and decimate the others, what I had in mind is more like wardings to prevent the others from passing such as the one on the home of the Singers and the Wall which would provide a tactical advantage in the fight against the others seeing as regular walls do little to impede them.

I never said he would not have a significant role in the plot. I just pointed out the fact that he was a boy in response to all the posts I see assuming that Bran will become King in the North or Hand to the next king/queen which I believe impossible. As I said before in that thread I see Bran as the high priest of the old gods religion. What you say about the ravens is exactly what I'm implying, Bran's job now is to be an information dealer, you can't expect him to get on a horse and charge the others and he has very limited political power. I don't think even the Singers obey the greenseers to the letter. So he will play an important role, information is crucial.

Jon already has his hands quite full without having him become a greenseer. Read what I wrote before that last post, I DON'T think Bran will stay in the caves. I make exactly the same point as you about the network of caves under the Wall.

First, we don't know what greenseers are entirely capable of. Second I never said he would come out and decimate the others, what I had in mind is more like wardings to prevent the others from passing such as the one on the home of the Singers and the Wall which would provide a tactical advantage in the fight against the others seeing as regular walls do little to impede them.

I never said he would not have a significant role in the plot. I just pointed out the fact that he was a boy in response to all the posts I see assuming that Bran will become King in the North or Hand to the next king/queen which I believe impossible. As I said before in that thread I see Bran as the high priest of the old gods religion. What you say about the ravens is exactly what I'm implying, Bran's job now is to be an information dealer, you can't expect him to get on a horse and charge the others and he has very limited political power. I don't think even the Singers obey the greenseers to the letter. So he will play an important role, information is crucial.

Fair enough--your post just said he'd find out information--most boarders think he will stay in the caves and be an information bank for the readers--so I assumed that the information you spoke of was for the reader as well. So, my bad.

I do think it's possible for him to have both though--he could be a useful,greenseer and lord of Winterfell/KotN--he already was lord of Winterfell. Granted, it didn't go well, but Luwin and Rodrik were part of that failure as well.

The reason I think he will play a role politically is because I think he will leave the caves, and probably end up at Winterfell, at which point he his heir. He could go to the Wall and stay with Jon though--but I feel like he will go back to WF after he goes to Jon--so that's my main reasoning behind thinking he will play a political role.

Plus, most people expect Rickon to be lord/king and he's a baby, so the age/maturity doesn't really enter the calculus. I suppose Jon could get the will and Bran could decide that he is better suited, but I don't think either of them will think Jon should inherit over Bran--unless Jon was KotN and Bran lord of WF. Of Jon lord protector.

I'm wondering if he can be greenseer and lord of Winterfell in fact. Don't greenseers have obligations of their own? Brynden who's teaching Bran is a Targaryen bastard, why did he stay in those caves for all these years when he could have come out?

Moreover I have an inkling that a greenseer high lord would be too powerful a character for GRRM's taste. If there is one thing we can say about Asoiaf it's that all characters are ultimately frail. Even when they are king they can be betrayed (and usually are), when they have dragons those don't necessarily obey. Dany only rode on Drogon's back twice and both time she was in a life threatening situation, did he really accept her as his rider or was he just protecting his "mother"?

I'm wondering if he can be greenseer and lord of Winterfell in fact. Don't greenseers have obligations of their own? Brynden who's teaching Bran is a Targaryen bastard, why did he stay in those caves for all these years when he could have come out?

Moreover I have an inkling that a greenseer high lord would be too powerful a character for GRRM's taste. If there is one thing we can say about Asoiaf it's that all characters are ultimately frail. Even when they are king they can be betrayed (and usually are), when they have dragons those don't necessarily obey. Dany only rode on Drogon's back twice and both time she was in a life threatening situation, did he really accept her as his rider or was he just protecting his "mother"?

BR is Brynden Rivers, former Hand of the King to Aerys I, and when Aegon V becomes king, he sends him to the Wall, where he later becomes lord commander of the nights watch, and later deserts the NW to go to tCotF. So by the time he gets there he's quite old--he's born in 175 AL, gets sent to the Wall in 233, so he's already almost 60--then he stays long enough to rise to LC and serve for some period of time--even if he does it all super fast like Jon, he's stil in his 60's when he leaves--and that's the low end. More likely he's much older. So staying in the caves is the only route for an old NW deserter. He can't go back, and the thought of sustaining his life at that age in that time, when people died much younger--would've been pretty attractive.

And having greensight doesn't preclude anything. No one would know, and he could have time to do both with some well-places advisors.

I don't agree. Sam's father did what he did because he didn't want Sam's mother to find out. The options were : you go to the wall, or we go hunting, I have you killed, and tell your mother how sad it was when you were killed buy whatever. IMO he could have written such a will, but he hated his son so much for not being a soldier and being too girly that he wanted him out of the picture for good.

This. We're talking about Randyl Tarly here. Sam being present at Horn Hill was to much an affront on his pride, so he wanted Sam dead, or away forever at the wall.

IMO Bran will never again go south of the wall.

I really don't see why you people expect Bran to have a major major political role in the whole seven kingdoms or even just in the North in the future?

He's far too young. And if you start talking about his huge weirwood knowledge database I want to remind you that we have no idea how fast he can look through that database. So there's no reason to believe he'll grow to be a mature individual who'll play a major political role in the next two books.

Bran is a boy, and the way I've always seen it is that his new greenseer occupation was introduced for the sole purpose of revealing things that couldn't be revealed otherwise such as the best way to fight the others or Jon's parentage and maybe to use some old forgotten Singers (Those who sing the songs of the earth) magic against the others.

Since when has age been an issue to inheritance law? Yes Bran is young, but he's the same age as Tommen, and he's a lot more mature, as he displayed when he was the Prince of Winterfell when Robb went south; with the help of Luwin and Rodrik, Bran was very capable, despite his disability and his age, and I actually think throughout the series he's displayed a maturity beyond his age especially when you consider even Sansa in AGoT, who only cares about lemoncakes and knights in shining armour (this is an opinion, but I'm sure I can't be the only one to think this) and Tommen, who is more interested in his kittens.

I don't think being a greenseer is so much as an "occupation" as being someone with extraordinary abilities, and how to deploy these abilities is entirely up to the person. Which leads me on to...

Do greenseers have obligations? To whom would they have obligations to? To the CotF? Really? I don't think there has been any indication that having these powers carries a proviso. The Three Eyed Crow (who is most likely, but not confirmed as, Brynden Rivers) surely has his own agenda, which is a whole other topic, but if we take him essentially at his word, he sees the need to train Bran up because of what he can see of the coming winter.

Now you know
, the crow whispered as it sat on his shoulder.
Now you know why you must live.

"Why?" Bran said, not understanding, falling, falling.

Because winter is coming.
Bran III AGoT

From what we know of Brynden, he has always served the realm, so there is a strong argument for this, but I completely accept that at this point it is purely speculation. Is Bran being a cripple who can't walk anywhere not frail enough?

BR is Brynden Rivers, former Hand of the King to Aerys I, and when Aegon V becomes king, he sends him to the Wall, where he later becomes lord commander of the nights watch, and later deserts the NW to go to tCotF. So by the time he gets there he's quite old--he's born in 175 AL, gets sent to the Wall in 233, so he's already almost 60--then he stays long enough to rise to LC and serve for some period of time--even if he does it all super fast like Jon, he's stil in his 60's when he leaves--and that's the low end. More likely he's much older. So staying in the caves is the only route for an old NW deserter. He can't go back, and the thought of sustaining his life at that age in that time, when people died much younger--would've been pretty attractive.

And having greensight doesn't preclude anything. No one would know, and he could have time to do both with some well-places advisors.

We really don't know enough about BR to say that he deserted the NW. As someone who served the realm loyally throughout his life and then willingly accepts "retirement" to the Wall, he doesn't seem like the kind of person to just desert. This is speculation, but if he didn't desert, it is possible that he "went hunting" one winter, or led a ranging. You've already pointed out how old he would be, so maybe he was simply to frail to make it back, or perhaps, being alone, he knew he couldn't make it out of the cave, all the way back to the wall safely. Again, this is just speculation. But essentially all I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that BR had to stay there, just as I don't think Bran has to stay there.

We really don't know enough about BR to say that he deserted the NW. As someone who served the realm loyally throughout his life and then willingly accepts "retirement" to the Wall, he doesn't seem like the kind of person to just desert. This is speculation, but if he didn't desert, it is possible that he "went hunting" one winter, or led a ranging. You've already pointed out how old he would be, so maybe he was simply to frail to make it back, or perhaps, being alone, he knew he couldn't make it out of the cave, all the way back to the wall safely. Again, this is just speculation. But essentially all I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that BR had to stay there, just as I don't think Bran has to stay there.

Fair enough. However...we know NW vows are for life. We know he left the NW. But yes, he could have come back years later and said he got stuck somewhere, which is prolly your point re why he didn't have to stay there. But as we both noted, it wasn't the only reason he stayed there--he was at least in his 60s, more likely closer to 70 by the time he got to the caves, so the journey back was probably too difficult.

But even if he wasn't stuck there, as I also pointed out--at that age, in that time (when 60s-70s was considered very old), the idea of prolonging his life would've been very attractive.

And no, I don't believe, even a little bit, that this correlates to Bran. I believe Bran most definitely does NOT have to stay there, nor will he, imo.

I cant understand why so many people skip over Bran when it comes to being the Lord of WF. I dont remember reading anything saying that Bran couldnt leave the cave. If Jon finds out that Bran is alive, there is no way he takes that from him, even with Robb's will. He wouldnt even take Winterfell from Stannis when he thought all his siblings were dead.

I also dont know why he would want to stay there forever. He wanted to travel around and see stuff and just learned how to ride a horse again and he also has a crush on Meera. Why would he want to give that up. I dont see why he couldnt learn what he needed to from Bloodraven and the CotF then head back South and live a normal life as Lord of Winterfell. He's got a wierwood tree in his back yard that he can use and BR can just jump into his dreams if he ever needs to tell him something. And BR lived his whole life outside of the cave before he became a tree. Until I read it in the book I refuse to believe that Bran is just gonna say fuck it and become a tree.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think we've seen that Bran is years ahead of his peers in maturity, and as far as we know, the next couple of books may take place over several years in the series, so Bran could easily be 14-15 by the end. Yes, that's still very, very young for a Hand, but if Bloodraven grooms him to be both Hand and Greenseer, I see it as not too improbable. Also, I feel he could gain a lot of wisdom by watching former lords and other people praying to the Godswoods. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. Ooooor maybe GRRM will do a "20 years later" chapter at the VERY end, like in Harry Potter, and we'll see where our favorite characters are then. :cool4:

Ah, yes, I agree with you both that Brynden Rivers's / Bloodraven's manner of leaving the wall is all speculation at this point, so I'm going to speculate some more. Remember how Qorin Halfhand sent Jon on a secret mission to fake abandon the NW and join the wildlings? What if BR went on his own secret mission, i.e. got "lost" in order to secretly do way more to serve the purpose of the NW -- protecting the realm from the Others -- than he could have done by living out his remaining years on the Wall? This would have not only been noble, but it would also still count as a NW duty...so it's not really deserting after all.

Also, anyone think BR was formally trained as a Greenseer and/or warg before his service as Hand? Is it possible that he ventured North of the Wall earlier in life? What about to the Isle of Face? Maybe he went there, learned from some CotF there, and communicated remotely with the Greenseer before him.

I also dont know why he would want to stay there forever. He wanted to travel around and see stuff and just learned how to ride a horse again and he also has a crush on Meera. Why would he want to give that up. I dont see why he couldnt learn what he needed to from Bloodraven and the CotF then head back South and live a normal life as Lord of Winterfell. He's got a wierwood tree in his back yard that he can use and BR can just jump into his dreams if he ever needs to tell him something. And BR lived his whole life outside of the cave before he became a tree. Until I read it in the book I refuse to believe that Bran is just gonna say fuck it and become a tree.

Yes! I certainly hope Bran lives a full life before retiring to fuse with a tree (though he probably can't ever have kids).

Yes! I certainly hope Bran lives a full life before retiring to fuse with a tree (though he probably can't ever have kids).

Hi! I'm new over here, mostly because I'm peruvian so pardon my english in advance.

I was more shocked about this last line, Eddward Stark, because I'm afraid that is the destiny of Ned's heirs. If you see, there's a little hope at this point that any of the Stark pack will going to live a normal life. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope so) but we learn quickly since GoT that the Stark's fate is greater than any of the other characters. Those who remain alive are pretty gifted and it's fair to think that they will play a very important role.

We have Jon, who has no claim on Winterfell. He becomes Lord Commander so, despite a lot of people wishes and assuming he's alive, he'll stay up there and rule the Night's Watch without children, even if he's half Targaryen and playing a major role in the war, I'm pretty sure he will stayed faithful to his owe and his feelings about himself. Through all the book he always reminded us about been a bastard and that a bastard has no right to anything, even a family. He feels that he cannot be ever a true Stark hence he cannot provide a rightful name to his children.

Despite I vaguely recall Bran thinking differently about Meera in a romantic way, in DwD (please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure about this), he's still a little boy and already has live a lot more of experiences than any children has and been aware of his gift adds a extra amount of responsibility over his shoulders. I don't think he would stay NW. I found parallelisms between him and Superman, the latter traveling to the north -the artic-, learning about himself, his people's history, his powers and stuff, and then returning to do some good. Besides, GRRM likes to shake his characters and none of then has stayed long in one place before encounter some danger or a new mission. But, even if Bran returns to Winterfell or meets Jon at the Wall, he would play a guide role provided by his acquired wisdom. I sense that he would play a notorious role bringing the kingdom together, but as all introspective characters, he won't marry because he won't needed or wanted nor anybody would found it problematic since he wouldn't be King or Lord of Winterfell. I think he would be like and oracle, by definition not full action. He will be beyond love and that cheesy stuff.

I feel sad about Arya, mostly because I really want to her to be a nice female knight -sort of- and to be together with Gendry but by now nothing points to that. I don't think she'll rule Winterfell either. She's already an assassin and prone to be a Faceless woman. Arya will play a major role in the game of thrones taking out enemies but I'm not sure what side she picks. She hates the Lannisters so Tommen is ruled out. I think she will kill Cersei. Maybe she meets Dany and joins her -I want that- but Dany hates the Starks (good thing Arya is very private about that). The north is far far away and she doesn't know any of the lords over there besides knowing that they were her father's bannermen and she has no ties over there anymore. She thinks Bran and Rickon are dead and Jon is even more distant. And, more important, she doesn't like to think about herself as a standard woman. Right now she's is a pre-teen who already refuse any given stardards and becoming an assassin of a cult (?) changes more her perspective. I mean, I picture her as a more liberated, much more dangerous, less eager of power version of Ariadne Martell. Arya's right now is so focus on her revenge and a really focused person, actually, that she cannot be distracted by things so meaningless like sex and "that boy likes me" stuff. If she has children will be late, once she has fulfilled her own mission.

Rickon been the most normal -that we know- of the Starks, lead me think that he would be the final Lord of Winterfell. Even when we know that he's a little bit problematic because of the fact that everyone forgot him leaving him alone at a pretty early age and growing up wild -I'm sure Osha contributes to that-, he totally fits for the job. Often, the ruler men are the less extraordinary of them all. So, he will have children.

And finally, but not less important, we have Sansa. I think she will be queen. I often recall how she calms down the women at the tower in the Blackwater battle in SoS, while Cersei's drinking and planning how kill them all and herself. She surprises me and at that moment I was all "She's gonna be a great queen" and stuff. I don't wanna expand this more but I think she will marry Aegon, they're pretty much the same age and the way Sansa has mature that union will bring a lot of good stuff to the realm.

Well, sorry for this long statement. But, I have a lot to say even if the 90% is totally insane and stupid.

Regards!

A lot of the theories regarding Bran seem to consist of the idea that he is never returning south of the Wall. But why not? I'm not saying he will necessarily be crowned King in the North, mostly because of the will made by Robb claiming Jon as the heir, but why not let him come back to his homelands just once to see the northmen reunite under one banner? Of course when all is said and done, I see Bran going back north and living in the tree as Bloodraven did, but not before his importance to the story is completely fulfilled, whatever that may be.

"Well, sorry for this long statement. But, I have a lot to say even if the 90% is totally insane and stupid."

None of it was insane or stupid at all katie star.

Right now it doesn't look like any of Ned's kids will produce heirs to Winterfell, and Winterfell is half-ruined and in the hands of their evil enemies. This whole story may still end with the utter destruction of the Stark line, and Winterfell becoming a ghostly ruin.

A Stark baby or pregnancy thrown into the story would be very welcome as a ray of hope for the North.

On a purely lawful point of view, the person with the highest claim to the crown of King in the North (or Lord of Winterfell) is Jon, just because Robb said so. Yes, Jon already dismissed being Lord of Winterfell, but that offer is totally different than what he has now. If, for instance, Jon is miraculously ressurected and decides to leave the Night's Watch for whatever he wants to do, then a big motivation for that would be that, a) it's being KITN, not LOW, and B) it's Robb asking him, not Stannis. I, though, highly doubt the idea that Jon will become any king other than on the Iron Throne, and that would be a long way down the road, and perhaps it won't happen. After him I'd guess it'll be either Rickon or Sansa, seeing how things will turn up. Bran and Arya are both so obviously in different areas of the plot, not closely related to any war of succession. And I also don't think that even if Jeyne's pregnant that there will be any consequence to her son being born.

No that is totally unlawful. Yes Robb legitimized him and named him heir, but all that goes out the window when the rightful heir, Bran shows up. Robb named Jon as successor only on the belief that all his trueborn siblings were either died or in Sansa's case married to his enemies.

Bran maybe the King in the North by rights, but he will never take the throne. Why? because it was all a trap, the COTF wanted Bran to be a cripple, find the three-eyed crow, leave home, and come to the Hill so that they can hold him hostage. He will never leave. Those little devils are evil, and I think if anything after the Others wipe out humanity Bran will be chosen to rebuild society, like the Matrix when its Reloaded and that whole Zion destruction/rebuild thing

No that is totally unlawful. Yes Robb legitimized him and named him heir, but all that goes out the window when the rightful heir, Bran shows up. Robb named Jon as successor only on the belief that all his trueborn siblings were either died or in Sansa's case married to his enemies.

No, it's not. People keep throwing their desires into this but law is law and while we don't have a manuscript of westerosi law, assuming it is different from any other law ever really made doesn't make sense to me as I have posted elsewhere. We do not know the exact words of Jons will. If he legitimized Jon in the name of his father he could have very well made Jon king of Westeros. If he said "I name you Jon Snow my Heir Jon Stark" then Jon is his heir as simple as that. I have family, but I could will anyone in the world my estate, so could Robb.

Bran maybe the King in the North by rights, but he will never take the throne. Why? because it was all a trap, the COTF wanted Bran to be a cripple, find the three-eyed crow, leave home, and come to the Hill so that they can hold him hostage. He will never leave. Those little devils are evil, and I think if anything after the Others wipe out humanity Bran will be chosen to rebuild society, like the Matrix when its Reloaded and that whole Zion destruction/rebuild thing

As much as I love Bran and am pinning my hopes of a Stark revival on him, he's not the person to rebuild the human race... I'm not entirely sure he'll be having much sex unless they have some kind of viagra.

Archived