Bran, the King in the North?

Apple the Great

If the document Robb made is still undamaged Jon is Robbs rightful heir.

It doesn't matter that they considered Bran dead, the document was signed and witnessed with all of their consent.

I don't think Jon would ever steal Brans birthright though, he would step down and give it Bran or if Jon really is dead Bran or Rickon will inherit.

Maybe because
a, as a maester, though you supposedly leave behind your former house you can still come back, and being more certain of yorself, maybe even talk about past conversations, while as a man of the NW, you most probably stay in the north and
b, he didn't know his son well enough to even imagine he would be accepted at the Citadell, while he must have known that the NW accepts anybody, also thinking that Sam would be killed soon enough (as he had no martial prowess at all), while that would be unlikely in the Citadell.
c, he might even have just thougt that being a black brother was a bit more prestigious than being a maester so more acceptable either to Sam or Sam's mother or to Randyll's men.

Or, all of the above in some degree :)

I agree!

I think Randyl was so contemptuous of Sam and just plainly hated him by the end. He is a soldier through and through and i think he would have been shamed to have him become a servant to some other House, especially after Sams stint at the Arbor where Horror and Slobber mocked him. At the Night's Watch he would have been out of sight out of mind forever.

If Robb did die without getting Jeyne Westerling pregnant, as Robb's younger brother, surely Bran has the strongest claim to Winterfell and being King in the North? I know he is a cripple, and is currently lost north of the wall under a tree, but these are not insurmountable obstacles and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see people mentioning Rickon and Jon Snow ahead of him. For sure, Rickon is a healthy lad, easily accessible on Skagos, but Wyman and Davos know that Bran is alive, as does Rickon, and they would thus know that Bran has the stronger claim (and Davos would be sure to tell Stannis that Bran lives). Lord Snow has already rejected Winterfell and I suspect he would again if he isn't dead.

Despite being a cripple, Bran has extraordinary powers that theoretically would allow him to control a dragon. It is surely possible that Bran could control a dragon while he, Hodor and Meera sat on it's back and flew south. Equally possible is Bran going to the Weirwood tree in Winterfell surely, if he needs a tree - I don't buy the theory that Bran has to stay under the specific weirwood tree that the Three-Eyed Crow is under, nor do I think Bran has to stay under a tree if he doesn't want to. Maybe this is all crackpot dreams borne out of love of Bran and house Stark so if people want to tell me why this can't be right, please do, I just can't understand why people keep on passing over Bran.

Also, on a different Stark related note, why does everyone seem to assume Sansa wants to kill Littlefinger. I'll mourn Littlefinger, the crafty b*stard.

Bran might communicate with some, but he will largely be presumed missing and/or Dead, much like Brynden Rivers. He will never be Lord of Winterfell or King of the North.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran might communicate with some, but he will largely be presumed missing and/or Dead, much like Brynden Rivers. He will never be Lord of Winterfell or King of the North.

I suspect you're correct, but what a tough, short life for that little boy. Bloodraven lived a long, eventful life - killed one half-brother, ruled as Hand under another half-brother, slept with his half-sister, kept having to tell people he wasn't Elric of Melnibone - before being exiled to the Wall and then going to a well-earned retirement under a tree. Bran is a kid, with dreams and hopes that most likely didn't include being crippled by a middle-aged man he caught having incest and then having his body invaded by tree roots.

Archived