a quote i found interesting from the very first chapter

SerDavosShepherd

Sorry for the late addition to this, but really surprised people are looking so in depth into it without anyone saying it's simply bloodraven seeing through ghost

yes, and all the stark children are special, and ghost was seperate from the other pups as Jon was separate from the stark children even though he truly is a stark

I haven't read anyone else's replies to your post. I also found this quote extremely interesting just as I find Ghost the most interesting of the dire wolves.

The only time we hear of Ghost making a sound, Jon is the only one that hears him. That by itself is intriguing.

In Bran's first POV Chapter, the one you speak of, Jon is first described in this manner:

No, Jon Snow said quietly, It was not courage. This one was dead of fear. You could see it in his eyes Stark. Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

Ghost is different than the others and it is made clearly obvious by GRRM in a couple of different ways. Firstly, he is not seen or noticed, this is something that happens time and again in the books. He appears seemingly out of nowhere. He is, you could say, from his birthday treated differently, as is Jon from the other Stark children, sometimes, as if he isn't there.

Ghost is an albino. This sets him apart from his siblings immediately just as Jon's being a bastard sets him apart from the other Stark children. People who are set apart very often develop the ability to notice things others do not. Jon has done that. GRRM makes sure we are aware that Ghost can make a sound if he wishes to, but for whatever reason, he does not. I don't think its coincidence that Jon is the only one to hear him either. Is this Blood Raven in action again? I can't really say for certain, but it surely sounds like his work, especially since no one else in the party heard Ghost.

He must have crawled away from the others Jon said. Or been driven away their father said looking at the sixth pup. His fur was white, where the rest of the litter was grey. His eyes were red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

Bran is right, it is unusual that his eyes opened before his brothers especially since albinos are more sensitive to light. Ghost is different though and that means that even though he has the look of an albino, he really isn't. Real albino animals have all kinds of health problems and require special care. We all know that Ghost is the strongest of all of the litter and in my own opinion, the leader of the pack or the Alpha male. His coloring is perfect for where he ends up which is at the Wall where he can disappear into the scenery in seconds.

It is also easy to notice that Ghost is the embodiment of Ice & Fire. He is white and red. Jon if he truly is Targaryen & Stark is also Ice & Fire. So, very early in his book, even in Bran's POV chapter, we learn a great deal about Ghost, more so than any of the other pups, telling us that he is a very important part of the story. That all of the other pups were already given to the other Stark children of course is not coincidental either. Jon had to have Ghost, therefore, he had to be found last. Jon made sure his father understood that all of the wolves should belong to his trueborn children so naturally Jon could claim the remaining wolf for himself.

I believe we will find out more of why Ghost is named Ghost in the Winds of Winter. Of course, that is just my opinion. I am really glad someone else found Bran's statement about Ghost's eyes as important as I did. Thank you for a wonderful post!

• 2 weeks later...

I like this OP :). GM can be pretty stealthy when he sneaks in these little clues...

My first instinct is that it mirrors Jon's observant personality, that as the odd one out of the Stark litter he's had to grow up faster, and has developed a keener awareness of what's happening around him and what people are thinking than his siblings. But I agree it could have deeper implications.

First post. I'm ready to crack some pots.

In my opinion, Benjen's comment about bastards growing up faster is misleading (even if it's true). My theory about Ghost having eyes open before the others (and being bigger than the others early on) is this: Jon Snow is actually older than the rest of the Starks. The timeline relating to his birth isn't really known in detail. All we really know is that he was brought to Winterfell before Robb was (according to Catelyn). Likewise, Ghost was probably born before the other direwolves. He had already crawled away from the main group before the Starks found them, indicating that he had spent some time alone before the others were born. (I just went over other comments, and evita mgfs says much the same about Ghost with considerably more detail.)

People have tried constructing timelines and it seems that they hit a snag with Jon and Robb's namedays. If Ned came home with a boy older than Robb (who would have become the heir if legitimized), it may have made Catelyn even more uncomfortable than it did; in the south, bastards are typically kept hidden, so Catelyn must have been certain that Jon would be legitimized at some point (before she learned of the ways of the north). In addition to that, pretending that Jon was born - or, more importantly, conceived - later than Robb may have been necessary to make the story believable (if Jon isn't Ned's bastard as most people believe). It also may have been necessary to separate the event of Jon's birth from Ned's presence at the Tower of Joy (if Jon truly is Lyanna's child).

I myself have a different theory regarding the identity of Lyanna's child - assuming of course that she did give birth at the ToJ - which may or may not show that Jon is likely older than first believed. Obviously that means I have a different theory than R+L=J, but it's somewhat convoluted in comparison. I'll need to reread the books and formulate my own timeline before it can truly be put to the forum however. Somewhat related are the prophecies of Azor Ahai and the prince that was promised (who, for now, I believe to be two separate entities), but that's neither here nor there.

In Bran's first POV Chapter in GoT it says that Robb & Jon are of an age. That doesn't mean they were born on the same day, but they were both babies when Cat came to Winterfell with Robb, Jon was already there with a wet nurse.

• 2 months later...
I

The 1st novel AGOT is so full of fascinating intrigues. I think it is because the series was originally supposed to be only 3 books that the first is a total set up for the remaining 2. I still believe that GRRM has the original plot line in place regardless of how many pages and by that I mean books it takes to finish it. With that said, I do believe that Bran's thought about the pup has some significant meaning that will later come into play. At least I hope so. I hope it means that Jon is the leader of the pack so to speak.

:bowdown: STARKBRINGER: I agree with your observation regarding AGoT; I, too, see Martin's brilliantly organized and keenly structured AGoT in which conscientious readers can look beyond the words - to the subtext in which Martin layers an artful and articulated foundation for the original two novels to follow.

While on a year break from westeros, I spent hours daily deconstructing Martin's narratives in AGoT and annotating words, language patterns, sentences, passages, stylistic changes and transitions between and among POVs, and hundreds of interlacing motifs that Martin initiates in AGoT and sustains earnestly into all five novels thus far.

Maybe we should create a thread on this topic? I've never had any luck starting a popular thread, but I always researched the WW Web to to make sure my topics had not been in a past thread's title or part of evidence and analytical commentary tucked within current or past threads.

It seems that many posters enjoy arguing the same theories over and over again. Many threads I read are the rehashing of the same evidence, same analytical points, and the same popular characters. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to discussing my favorite characters, and often amid the repetition of theories a rare gem sparkles with a facet of "original thought".

The first three novels of the I&F Series represent Martin's skill as a storyteller AND as a writer capable of manipulating the language to a purpose. In novels 4 and 5, Martin's organization, his delivery pace, his loosey-goosey POVs that follow uninspiring narrators with causes that the readers quickly loose interest in because the sequences of events are long and drawn-out; consequently, I found myself as a reader rather bored and at times, confused by what had been crystal clear in AGoT.

Regarding Ghost's eyes being opened before the other pups, I have several theories:

1. Ghost somehow is separated from his mother for an hour or two minimum. When he can no longer smell his littermates or his mother, the pup forces open his eyes to try to see what he cannot detect through scent. One sensory receptor compensates when another fails.

2. Martin wants to make an impression on his readers with the all-white Ghost whose red-eyes are almost a startling. Ghost's colorings are how the forces of the old gods mark those blessed with green-magic while still in the womb. It certainly takes Jon Snow a long time - four novels - to figure out his direwolf matches the sacred heart trees with faces carved into their trunks by the CotF.

3. Ghost is symbolically "snow" or "ice" because of his white coat, and he is symbolically "fire" because of his glowing red eyes.

4. Ghost's eyes may be opened because a greenseer wargs the wayward pup to ensure he rejoins the litter in time for the arrival of the Starks. Obviously, Ghost does not make it in time, so Bloodraven needs to call Jon back over the bridge by controlling the wind as it passes through the leaves in the wolfswood, a magic trick that allows Bloodraven discreetly to call Jon back to find his pup. Only Jon hears the summons of the greenseer, although Bran is alerted to the leaves in the trees rustling. Bloodraven likely called Jon's name. :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed is that many people seem to think Ghost made some sort of vocal sound when the Starks found the direwolf pups. They think Ghost can vocalize when he wants to, but just doesn't.

The text doesn't say that, it says Jon heard a noise..

They had been riding off with the other pups, but Jon had heard a noise and turned back, and there he was, white fur almost invisible against the drifts. He was all alone, he thought, apart from the others in the litter A Game of Thrones - Jon VIII

To back that up, I can't find any mention of Ghost making a vocalization. He doesn't howl out loud when Lady dies.

He doesn't make any vocal sound during the attack on the Lord Commander by the wight Othor.

A Game of Thrones - Jon VII

Ghost stood on his hind legs, scrabbling at the door. Jon was startled to see how tall he'd grown. "Ghost, what is it?" he called softly. The direwolf turned his head and looked down at him, baring his fangs in a silent snarl.

He moved up the steps, Ghost padding silently before him. Shadows lurked in every turn of the stair

Ghost leapt. Man and wolf went down together with neither scream nor snarl, rolling, smashing into a chair, knocking over a table laden with papers.

That is one time the direwolf might certainly want to howl growl, snarl, or make some other noise. You'd think if he could choose to make a noise, he would do so then. In short, Ghost seems to be truly mute.

One thing I've noticed is that many people seem to think Ghost made some sort of vocal sound when the Starks found the direwolf pups. They think Ghost can vocalize when he wants to, but just doesn't.

The text doesn't say that, it says Jon heard a noise..

To back that up, I can't find any mention of Ghost making a vocalization. He doesn't howl out loud when Lady dies.

He doesn't make any vocal sound during the attack on the Lord Commander by the wight Othor.

A Game of Thrones - Jon VII

Ghost stood on his hind legs, scrabbling at the door. Jon was startled to see how tall he'd grown. "Ghost, what is it?" he called softly. The direwolf turned his head and looked down at him, baring his fangs in a silent snarl.

He moved up the steps, Ghost padding silently before him. Shadows lurked in every turn of the stair

Ghost leapt. Man and wolf went down together with neither scream nor snarl, rolling, smashing into a chair, knocking over a table laden with papers.

That is one time the direwolf might certainly want to howl growl, snarl, or make some other noise. You'd think if he could choose to make a noise, he would do so then. In short, Ghost seems to be truly mute.

GHOST SPEAKS.

In ACoK, page 765, during Jon Snow's POV and during a wolf dream: "His [Ghost's] brothers were out there, and his sister, but he had lost their scent, He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and HIS CRY ECHOED THROUGH THE FOREST, A LONG, LONELY MOURNFUL SOUND".

GHOST SPEAKS.

In ACoK, page 765, during Jon Snow's POV and during a wolf dream: "His [Ghost's] brothers were out there, and his sister, but he had lost their scent, He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and HIS CRY ECHOED THROUGH THE FOREST, A LONG, LONELY MOURNFUL SOUND".

It is interesting, isn't it?

Especially since the next lines are:

Jon?

The call came from behind him, softer than a whisper, but strong too. Can a shout be silent? He turned his head, searching for his brother, for a glimpse of a lean grey shape moving beneath the trees, but there was nothing, only . . .

A weirwood.

It is interesting, isn't it?

Especially since the next lines are:

YES! Bran/Summer - Jon and Bran have a connection. I remember Jon Snow kisses Bran's lips before he departs for the Wall. I always thought this meant something - especially with all the references to kissing - even the snow flakes "kiss" the cheeks of the Starks. Martin makes clear through figurative language that the snow loves the Starks.

• 3 weeks later...
I have to agree with the thought that Jon was born first. It was my first thought. Also isn't it extremely rare that there are this many wargs in one family? I can't remember who, maybe Sixskins says that like 1 in a 1000 people are wargs and every time he has a child he tries to find out if they are like him but none of them are. So far it seems that Sansa may be the only one not to warg. Idk if it's because her wolf is or not but Arya still has a strong connection to Nymeria. She even wargs into a cat in the House of Black and White while she's blind. We have suspicions that Robb warged into Grey Wind right? I'm guessing Rickon may have too. So what does this say about Sansa?
Another thought that I've had and I apologize if this has been talked about a lot. I haven't read anything along these lines but I'm sure it has, but wouldn't the direwolf mother represent the north more than Ned? Jon doesn't have the same parents as his "siblings" and technically the Baratheons didn't kill him, the Lannisters and Littlefinger did. Maybe the stag antler is because without Robert asking Ned to be his Hand, he would've never went to KL and got caught up in all the intrigues and wouldn't have been executed. I'm doing a re-read right now of GoT and I'm at the part when Ned is planning to leave and still after all this time and all I know I still hope that this time reading will change it lol. Does anyone else do this? Maybe that's just a sign of a good book.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran knows about the Others, too. If I'm not mistaken, he was the first one to learn about the danger coming. When he was still in a coma, the 3EC visited him in his dreams and showed him many things. When he woke up, he named his wolf "Summer."

Yes.  "Now you know why you must live."  Why? asked Brandon.  "Because Winter is Coming."  That was when Brandon learned of the Others and the threat of their approach.  He looked into the very heart of Winter and he was afraid.

“ Even in Winterfell, as a kid before the wolves, Jon was the bastard. He was the odd one out. The rest of them are all brothers and sisters. He's only a half-brother, so he's not as closely tied to them ... So he's of them, he's part of the family, he's part of the siblings, but he's a little bit apart too. Ghost is very similar to that. He's the albino, he's the one who makes no noise, so he's related to the other direwolves but one apart as well.[20]

- George R. R. Martin

• 2 weeks later...
It's mentioned various times in the first book that Jon is good at reading people and the secrets behind their eyes due to his being a bastard. This is probably why Ghost's eyes are open. Ghost and Jon are the most similar in the 1st book, especially with the name as Jon, like a ghost, is seldom heard or seen by the more highborn.

At least that's what I wrote in my kindle notes a few years ago

• 1 month later...

I haven't read anyone else's replies to your post.  I also found this quote extremely interesting just as I find Ghost the most interesting of the dire wolves.

The only time we hear of Ghost making a sound, Jon is the only one that hears him.  That by itself is intriguing.

In Bran's first POV Chapter, the one you speak of, Jon is first described in this manner: 

Ghost  is different than the others and it is made clearly obvious by GRRM in a couple of different ways.  Firstly, he is not seen or noticed, this is something that happens time and again in the books.  He appears seemingly out of nowhere.  He is, you could say, from his birthday treated differently, as is Jon from the other Stark children, sometimes, as if he isn't there. 

Ghost is an albino.  This sets him apart from his siblings immediately just as Jon's being a bastard sets him apart from the other Stark children.  People who are set apart very often develop the ability to notice things others do not.  Jon has done that.    GRRM makes sure we are aware that Ghost can make a sound if he wishes to, but for whatever reason, he does not.  I don't think its coincidence that Jon is the only one to hear him either.  Is this Blood Raven in action again?  I can't really say for certain, but it surely sounds like his work, especially since no one else in the party heard Ghost.

Bran is right, it is unusual that his eyes opened before his brothers especially since albinos are more sensitive to light.  Ghost is different though and that means that even though he has the look of an albino, he really isn't.  Real albino animals have all kinds of health problems and require special care.  We all know that Ghost is the strongest of all of the litter and in my own opinion, the leader of the pack or the Alpha male.  His coloring is perfect for where he ends up which is at the Wall where he can disappear into the scenery in seconds. 

It is also easy to notice that Ghost is the embodiment of Ice & Fire.  He is white and red.   Jon if he truly is Targaryen & Stark is also Ice & Fire.  So, very early in his book, even in Bran's POV chapter, we learn a great deal about Ghost, more so than any of the other pups, telling us that he is a very important part of the story.  That all of the other pups were already given to the other Stark children of course is not coincidental either.  Jon had to have Ghost, therefore, he had to be found last.  Jon made sure his father understood that all of the wolves should belong to his trueborn children so naturally Jon could claim the remaining wolf for himself. 

I believe we will find out more of why Ghost is named Ghost in the Winds of Winter.  Of course, that is just my opinion.  I am really glad someone else found Bran's statement about Ghost's eyes as important as I did.  Thank you for a wonderful post!

"No, Jon Snow said quietly, It was not courage. This one was dead of fear. You could see it in his eyes Stark. Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast."

Bran I (AGOT)

I just noticed something I haven't before because of the translation. In my copy (which is not in English) this sentence could NOT be meant different things - in my understanding.
What am I talking to? Look:

"Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair..."

The first part is (about outside) appearance = slender, muscular. This is clear, no double meaning. 

The second part is about coloring = dark (hair), fair (hair) at first. 

BUT it could also mean (inside) temper, characteristic, what-is-the-word-for-that = dark, fair.

You can be dark in nature, and fair in nature. Robb is more about being fair - in his story, when he beheads Karstark. While Jon is/will be more dark later in the story. 
Correct me is I am wrong, as I have mentioned, I am not native. In my language this have been translated to: "dark" and "light" - where this meant color, not temper. I haven't even considered this until I read the English copy. 
Because the third part of the sentence is also about outside things, I would say it was translated correctly, but I just can't help thinking about foreshadowing.

• 4 months later...

Archived