Could Rhaego be Alive?

Damon_Tor

I doubt that he's alive, just because the story doesn't need any more complications or not-dead characters at this point. But I do think that Martin planted the evidence. Not every hint/foreshadowing/prophecy in the books is going to end being meaningful - they couldn't possibly.

But I doubt MMD's description of the dead scaly creature. That was just done to hurt and punish Dany. Rhaego was probably a stillborn, but normal, infant, or else MMD killed him at birth.

Yes of course he is alive, probably down in the same pub as Robb, Grey Wind, Tywin and The Ned, playing cards and telling stories while they wait for Syrio to buy his round of drinks from the bar, just waiting until GRRM calls them back into the narrative. :)

Yes of course he is alive, probably down in the same pub as Robb, Grey Wind, Tywin and The Ned, playing cards and telling stories while they wait for Syrio to buy his round of drinks from the bar, just waiting until GRRM calls them back into the narrative. :)

There is no pub! They rented a villa in Qarth to lay low. Robby B-side is there with Renly too.

Imagine Grey Wind holding cards in his paws :lol: :lol:

the breast will give milk for as long as it is suckled, there is no automatic cut off point at 18 months or 24 months or what ever. If the mother can breastfeed it is only once the child has been weaned that the milk production will stop.

If you've seen the film the Last Emperor they more or less do move the adolescent boy from his wet nurse to his first mistress.

SHe was out of it for several days with a fever. That would put the breasts out of commission.

that's not true. hormones are still raging. and true milk doesn't come in any way until a few days later - the first milk is clear colostrum, rich in minerals and vitamins and able to be digested easily. and i've had three breastfed babies.

Off topic, but this has always bothered me, is it ever explained how does Lysa still breastfeed Robert at the age of 8?

like cows, as long as there is a natural stimulus there, the milk continues to produce. sucking is enough if it started naturally and continued from birth. but i don't think the "milk" is the issue. the issue is overcoddling and insanity. even if he's not getting milk per se, there is a bizarre and haunted symbiotic relationship between them. and it may be quasi sexual on lysa's part. because that act and uterine feelings are often connected. In normal cases mothers take that in stride. in lysa's case, she's batshit crazy.

If not Rhaego's lifeforce, what fuelled MMD's spell and kept Khal Drogo alive?

For one thing, we have nothing but MMD's word that the spell works like she says it does. The horse may have been enough, and then when Jorah walked in with Dany in labor, she improvised, and said that was the real price all along.

The horse was killed outside the tent before the ritual began, for it's blood according to MMD.

The horse's neck was slit and poured into the tub with Drogo, inside the tent. "Strength of the mount go into the rider." chanted MMD.

Besides, why should MMD let him live? She should know that Rhaego might find out someday what really happened and who he really is, and no one could stop his fury right then - so there would've been a big chance he'd become the Stallion Who Mounts the World regardless. If MMD really thought Rhaego would become the Stallion who mounts the world, she wouldn't let him live.

Compassion? MMD is a Llazarine, and a midwife, someone who brings life into the world; it's not an easy thing to end it... I know these novels have rather poisoned us against the idea, but most people can't kill. She would have her revenge, then, just not by killing the boy, but by spiriting him away.

Or if she let him how did she take him to her people? I think Jorah would have noticed her leaving with a perfectly healthy baby.

We have no idea what state Jorah was in, but the severity of his leg wound as described in the novels makes it seem entirely likely that he was not concious during the birth. This is further supported by the fact that he cannot describe the child himself, he relies on what "the women say." And the Dothraki wouldn't even come near the tent. MMD could have easily enough gone to get some of her Llazarine buddies under the pretense of needing another pair of hands for the birth, then having one of them smuggle the child out inside a pile of bloody rags.

Or if one of the other Khals took him why should they let him live? He`s Dany`s son, and a potential future Khal, so why risk letting him alive?

As noted above, the Llazarines are a peaceful people anyway, and as a midwife it makes sense for MMD to have an above-average respect for life. Most people could not kill an infant. As for the risk, perhaps she believes the prohecy can be denied if the Stallion is raised outside of Dothraki culture.

Where does it say that every prophecy from every culture in the book must come true?

Because so far they have. Jojen, Patchface, the Fiddler, Mellisandre, Quaithe, the Warlocks, the Woodswitch, Maggy, the House of Shadows visions... all of their prophecies have come true or may still come true EXCEPT those that deal with Rhaego.

The prophecy could just be a false one, or come ture 1000 years after the events of the book. I think the Dothraki prophecy is false, just like almost everything they think "is known".

If it's a false prophecy, it is unique.

I'm working on a theory to what this might mean, and it ties into the reason why Hizdahr does not appear in the "Bride of Fire" visions: because Hizdahr, inlike Drogo, Victarion, and Jon, will never sire a child on Daenerys. The three children, then, will be the three heads of the dragon, one by Drogo, one by Victarion, one by Jon Snow.

A lot of people are affectionately mocking this but I actually like the thought of MMD just messing with Dany's head and the fact the child is actually alive, whether we'll see him is a completely different question, GRRM just likes to have us puzzle over these things however, if he's with Jhaqo then he might be important.

life must pay for life seems to be how blood magic works. Rhago was the cost of preserving Drogo's life.

There would be no reason for Jhaqo or any other bloodrider to have kept the child had it lived - it would be a future potential rival to their own leadership.

life must pay for life seems to be how blood magic works. Rhago was the cost of preserving Drogo's life.

There would be no reason for Jhaqo or any other bloodrider to have kept the child had it lived - it would be a future potential rival to their own leadership.

:agree: Not only the fact that he could have been a rival but he wouldn`t have been a good hostage neither. At that point Jhaqo and the others took almost everything and everyone and left Dany with almost nothing so what could Dany posibly give them in exchange for Rheago, assuming that she will live??

that's not true. hormones are still raging. and true milk doesn't come in any way until a few days later - the first milk is clear colostrum, rich in minerals and vitamins and able to be digested easily. and i've had three breastfed babies.

Well with no baby...

Archived