Will Dany need assistance (ie scorcery) to control her dragon?

angelodebo

The water was boiling hot, but Dany didn't mind. Her brother used to say it was never too hot for a Targeryen.

"Fire is in our blood"

Doesn't she also grab a hot egg out of a fire before she hatches them and it feels cold to her?

For someone with no magical abilities she sure likes a lot of prophecy

The bath water being "boiling" hot is probably an hyperbole to imply it was very hot but not boiling since GRRM SAID HIMSELF that she had no innate resistance to fire.

Dany taking the hot egg in her hands only happens in the tv series which is why the book is better.

Being part of a prophecy does not imply she has any magical abilities. Moreover I never said she had NO magical abilities I said that if she had any she didn't wield it yet.

Wait did you quote the boiling part from the book or was it all just the series? When you post on this forum I would recomend you take your source from the book instead of the series although since GRRM has revealed the whole story to the directors there might be some hints for the future in the series. It's just that the directors of the series have taken some liberties with the plot.

GRRM has said already that Daenerys does not possess any magical resistance to fire. Her surviving the fire during the dragons birth was only due to the "ritual" taking place and not due to any innate abilities. Immunity to diseases is said to be a trait of all the dragonlords of old Valyria in the book (although that's Dany's presumption according to rumors she heard about her ancestors).

There is definitely magic around Dany but she doesn't wield any magic so far not even unknowingly in my opinion. That's not to say she won't learn some magic in the future, who knows? For a fantasy series these books do lack of a spellcaster hero. I am really anticipating GRRM's wizard POV. GRRM always makes sure that his characters are frail in some way. Even when they've got power and station they also have a fatal flaw that dooms them in the end. Imagine a wizard...

GRRM hasn't said that Dany didn't have a resistance to fire or a greater tolerance to it than others. (In fact, she does posess both.) What he said was that she wasn't entirely immune to flames.

GRRM hasn't said that Dany didn't have a resistance to fire or a greater tolerance to it than others. (In fact, she does posess both.) What he said was that she wasn't entirely immune to flames.

The quote from grrm I read, and there could be others, was in specific relation to her hatching the dragons and he said that she was only immune to fire on that one occasion and it was because of the magic being used.

The quote from grrm I read, and there could be others, was in specific relation to her hatching the dragons and he said that she was only immune to fire on that one occasion and it was because of the magic being used.

Exactly. Immune. The question he was asked was about her being fire proof. Which she isn't. But she's definitely, no question asked, more resistant than others. She doesn't get burnt as easily. Hell, when I read Dance, I interpreted her encounter with Drogo in the Pit as her hair catching on fire a second time while she was going on his back. (And I'm still not sure whether it partially burned or not.) Any normal person would not have gone out of this situation as easily as she did.

EDIT: Bolded, cause there seemed to be some confusion. (And in my mind, fire proof = immune. I'm not sure if anyone actually thought that there were two degrees of fire proofness, or something.)

Lets not forget toward the end on ADWD she is in Drogon's lair and is described as having some of the burns feeling better. If she is immune to fire why would she have burns from her encounter with Drogon in the pit?

i think she is resistant to fire but up to a certain point.

Dragon's fire is different than any old flame, its magical and absolute and of course so hot that it can bake men in their armor.

Dany picked up scolding dragon eggs with no problem and performed the ritual with no problem.

but the dragon's fire still burned her but not on the level of an average person's. you'd think that fire hot enough to bake men in their armor would give dany more than just simple burns that seem to be healing just fine no.

she's flame retardant but is not comepletely immune.

Lets not forget toward the end on ADWD she is in Drogon's lair and is described as having some of the burns feeling better. If she is immune to fire why would she have burns from her encounter with Drogon in the pit?

You're right. She's not immune. Not a single person here says that she is.

i think she is resistant to fire but up to a certain point.

Dragon's fire is different than any old flame, its magical and absolute and of course so hot that it can bake men in their armor.

Dany picked up scolding dragon eggs with no problem and performed the ritual with no problem.

but the dragon's fire still burned her but not on the level of an average person's. you'd think that fire hot enough to bake men in their armor would give dany more than just simple burns that seem to be healing just fine no.

she's flame retardant but is not comepletely immune.

Thank you.

I think she'll be able to control Drogon enough to get back to Mereen, but Tyrion will help her train them. I doubt there will be any need for sorcery.

I think you may be right. I was just re-reading the 1st book and while tyrion is making his way to the wall with Benjon & Jon Snow, he is reading a book he borrowed from winterfell. No one else ever seems to bring that up but the book he's reading is called and I quote"and the book, a rumination on the history and properties of dragons.With Lord Eddard Stark's permission Tyrion had borrowed a few rare volumes from the Winterfell Library." I think those few rare volumes are going to be how Dany learns to control or manipulate the dragons.

Dany and Drogon share a special bond/connection. "On Drogon's back she felt whole," like the Stark children when they're with their direwolves. I hope Tyrion won't be the one to teach Dany how to tame Drogon, but she herself. Dany just need to learn how, not through magic or dragonhorn if possible (that's lame, me thinks), but through their special bonding. Drogon don't seem to like being whipped; dragons are no slave. In the Daznak's pit, Dany hit Drogon several times and the dragon was very angry so he showered dragonfire on his beloved mother. At the end of Dany's chapter, she was trying to tame Drogon with a whip again, but he was a stubborn "child," he just won't listen! In the end though, he let Dany mount him and turn where his mommy wanted them to go. That time, Dany's whip was gone so she only used her feet and hands to direct Drogon and he went willingly enough. I think that's a way better version of "how to train your dragon" than any magical spells. Use you mother's instinct, Dany.

Ok After Re-reading the 1st book for the 4th time, I've caught a lot of subtle things.

1st Marwin... When Dany first comes across Mirri Maz Dur the maegi. She tells Dany that she was trained in ashai and one of the people who taught her about blood-magic was.... Marwin of the citadel! After re-reading and seeing that he's the one who knows the most of magic, not to mention he's already traveled the world and is off to meet Dany. I now believe he is going to help her learn how to bind her dragons and who to beware of (ie:the citidel & Maesters.). Possibly after Tyrion begins to teach her what little of dragonlore he may know.

On a side note I also realized that the singer Marillion was in the 1st book as a very minor character that tyrion speaks of briefly. GRRM brought him back with a flash in ADWD, so I think it's entirely more plausible that he will bring Marwin back with a flash in TWOW. anyone else catch those side characters in the 1st book?

On a side note I also realized that the singer Marillion was in the 1st book as a very minor character that tyrion speaks of briefly. GRRM brought him back with a flash in ADWD, so I think it's entirely more plausible that he will bring Marwin back with a flash in TWOW. anyone else catch those side characters in the 1st book?

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at least once afterwards (in Storm of Swords, maybe in Feast as well) that Marilion had arrived to the Eyrie with Catelyn's party and stayed there afterwards, gaining Lady Lysa's favour. And yes, most people were also aware of the references to Marwyn the Mage throughout the books, before we met him in Feast. (The second mention I can think of was by Qyburn to Jaime in Storm.) People are also aware that Dany might very well remember Marwyn's name as the mentor of the woman whose magic cost Dany her husband and child, so we'll see how that meeting turns out.

I doubt Dany requires magic to tame dragons. She seemed in control after the arena event, and she managed to direct Drogon in the Dothraki Sea. Drogon at least acknowledges her as his "mother" and respects her enough to follow her commands.

Rather the opposite... He mildly acknowledges her as his mother, and he lets her ride him, but she can't make him go where she wants to. She has no control over him at all, there is only 'affection'.

Rather the opposite... He mildly acknowledges her as his mother, and he lets her ride him, but she can't make him go where she wants to. She has no control over him at all, there is only 'affection'.

There was no control at first when she left with him, because she wanted to go someplace where Drogon saw no point whatsoever in returning. By the end of the chapter, when Daenerys was breaking away from all of her self-imposed guilt and responsibilities by finding her purpose again, she and Drogon became perfectly in sync. We'll see if that was momentary, or if it indicated that Drogon had begun to recognize Dany once again as his master and that they will begin a mutually profitable partnership with all the conquering that's to come.

Considering her resistance to fire, and considering her dragon's blood, maybe Dany will be able to sound the dragon horn without burning like the others. Dany mentioned that the old Targaryens used to use magic horns to control their dragons, so they must have been resistant to the burning aspects of the horn, too.

Considering her resistance to fire, and considering her dragon's blood, maybe Dany will be able to sound the dragon horn without burning like the others. Dany mentioned that the old Targaryens used to use magic horns to control their dragons, so they must have been resistant to the burning aspects of the horn, too.

Hmm good point

Archived