First Production Stills from Season 3

Westeros

Oh sweet Summer child, she'll probably be heading for Braavos by Ep 2. :dunce:

This id D&D we are talking about. But don't worry,we'll probably get a whole new storyline where Talisa goes off to fight slavery in Volantes.

Still hoping we get a decent amount of scenes between Sandor & Arya. I love their ~camping chapters.

Ahh, Talisa .. They'll probably give her some of Cat's lines too.

Wanting to see more of your favorites, and not liking everything about a show, that's normal, reasonable, expected.

:agree:

Wanting to see more of your favorites (...) that's normal, reasonable, expected.

Well, sure, but complaining when you don't get enough screentime for your desired favourite, even though there may be valid storyline/adaptation reasons (Sophie Turner's and Rory McCann's age/age difference, for starters, or the decision to scrap the knights/songs thing) for it....well, it may be expected and normal, fans being who they are, but reasonable? I don't think so.

The knight theme was explored in these scenes: Staring Ser Ilyn down, the contrast between Sandor/Gregor when he saves Loras, the contrast between Ser Meryn/Sandor when he saves her from killing Joffrey, when he saves her from a beating on Joffrey's nameday, the contrast between Ser Meryn/Sandor when he gives her his cloak, he's a true knight when he rescues her from the mob, the hallway scene warning her about killing and lies, when Cersei sent him to get her and she was crying, after the battle ("I could take you with me, take you to Winterfell, I'll keep you safe"). So there were elements of chivalry in nearly every scene. I think the only other scene was the "Who do you think sent me" one, that was only really about attraction. No songs, but that's like 10 scenes. The show story was not nearly as good as the books, but it sure seems like a lot of people liked watching it. I did.

The knight's vows (I looked this up for something else, so a better reference, from The Hedge Knight):

The Laughing Storm gave an impatient shake of the head. "Go to him, Ser Duncan. I'll give squire Raymun his knighthood." He slid his sword out of his sheath and shouldered Dunk aside. "Raymun of House Fossoway," he began solemnly, touching the blade to the squire's right shoulder, "in the name of the Warrior I charge you to be brave." The sword moved from his right shoulder to his left. "In the name of the Father I charge you to be just." Back to the right. "In the name of the Mother I charge you to defend the young and innocent." The left. "In the name of the Maid I charge you to protect all women."

Wanting to see more of your favorites, and not liking everything about a show, that's normal, reasonable, expected.

Here's how the Hound is described in the HBO Viewer's Guide:

http://viewers-guide...sandor-clegane/

Seems like the show sees his role as similar to the books. GRRM says they are exploring the relationship similarly on the show here:

Sandor got almost as much screentime as Robb in season 2. The Sansa/Sandor interactions to date really haven't move the broader plot along, and yet many were included in the show. Reviews of the scenes on the show have been very good, and they have noticed what many of us liked about the books:

- AV Club

- Tor

- Hey, Don't Judge Me

- Televisionary

- Chicago Tribune

- TV Overmind

- Tor

- TV Equals

- The Guardian

I thank you

[snip]

Le Cygne, we seem to be talking past each other on this one. I've clarified my point, and you've responded with a barrage of SanSan quotes and listing of SanSan moments from the show which has absolutely nothing to do with my point, which was (for the third time, now) the showrunners in writing the adaptation have eliminated Sansa's obsession with knights/songs/chivalry, and that I believe that this had an impact on the reduction in the Hound's screentime, since it was a big part of their conversations and interactions in the books...unless you think that Sandor's relationship with Sansa in the books is ultimately nothing more significant than "The Hound is hot for Sansa," which is almost what you seem to be implying with the quotes you've provided.

I also believe that Rory McCann and Sophie Turner's age difference (25+ years), as well as Sophie Turner's age, were factors that may have led the writers to alter or downplay Sandor and Sansa's relationship, and I consider these valid reasons, however you may feel about them.

the showrunners in writing the adaptation have eliminated Sansa's obsession with knights/songs/chivalry, and that I believe that this had an impact on the reduction in the Hound's screentime

I clipped just the part of your quote that I responded to, I thought I was rather clear, so we'll call it a day. I listed the scenes where I felt the knight theme was explored. While not a knight, he was honoring the vows the others broke (to protect women is one of them).

I thought you were saying that changing certain elements meant less screentime, and I was showing all of those elements were still there in the show. I think they got a good amount of screentime, I was happy that they included all of those scenes, they didn't have to, but they did.

I hadn't read the books before watching the show and I loved the hound as a character and his interactions with Sansa

I like their scenes on the show, too! The book Hound was more emotional, but I like the show Hound, too. I think they wanted him to be more likeable, and that's why they made the change.

I wouldn't be too worried about Beric being in episode 7. Ever since it was announced that GRRM was writing episode 7 (at this point called "Autumn Storms"), most readers assumed that it would feature the Queenscrown events and Sandor's capture of Arya. That still leaves episodes 8, 9 and 10 with Arya and Sandor interaction, and I expect that we'll get even more in season four.

Does anyone else think that show Margery and Joffrey would make a strangely good couple? I love their crossbow pic, it almost looks like Marg is getting into it. She's a lot more... "mature" and ambitious on the show. I bet she could deal will Joff

No. Joffrey is an abusive sociopath.

I wouldn't be too worried about Beric being in episode 7. Ever since it was announced that GRRM was writing episode 7 (at this point called "Autumn Storms"), most readers assumed that it would feature the Queenscrown events and Sandor's capture of Arya. That still leaves episodes 8, 9 and 10 with Arya and Sandor interaction, and I expect that we'll get even more in season four.

GRRM retitled Ep 7 "Chains." Could refer to any number of plots: Theon's imprisonment/Jaime and Brienne's imprisonment/Robb executing Rickard Karstark/Tywin plotting to marry off Tyrion and Sansa/Arya kidnapped by Sandor/Queenscrown events/something to do with Dany's plot/all of the above.

No. Joffrey is an abusive sociopath.

*small voice*And Margaery is a lesbian.*small voice* Oh, come on! You know we're all thinking it! Curious to see if the show confirms this fan theory or not.

I clipped just the part of your quote that I responded to, I thought I was rather clear, so we'll call it a day. I listed the scenes where I felt the knight theme was explored. While not a knight, he was honoring the vows the others broke (to protect women is one of them).

I thought you were saying that changing certain elements meant less screentime, and I was showing all of those elements were still there in the show. I think they got a good amount of screentime, I was happy that they included all of those scenes, they didn't have to, but they did.

I disagree, but I see now what you were getting at, and I apologize for being bitchy in my reply.

GRRM retitled Ep 7 "Chains." Could refer to any number of plots: Theon's imprisonment/Jaime and Brienne's imprisonment/Robb executing Rickard Karstark/Tywin plotting to marry off Tyrion and Sansa/Arya kidnapped by Sandor/Queenscrown events/something to do with Dany's plot/all of the above.

He only renamed it because they couldn't include the storms/rain. Either way, "Chains" definitely sounds relevant to Arya being kidnapped.

So Talisa's last name is Maegyr and she is from a noble family in Voalntis?

Woudln't that be the family of Triarch Malaquo Maegyr, which would thus make Talisa a Valyrian.

Oh sweet Summer child, she'll probably be heading for Braavos by Ep 2. :dunce:

This id D&D we are talking about. But don't worry,we'll probably get a whole new storyline where Talisa goes off to fight slavery in Volantes.

I do wonder what D&D have in mind about Arya's travels.

It is snorthing good in SOS and almost writes itself , George's skills as a story teller really shine.

Her travels with Gendry and Hot Pie frist and then Brotherhood Without Banners is , well, fine on the page but GRRM does stretch it. Still they made a deal out of casting Richard Dormer and Paul Kaye , so my guess is the whole break of traveling companions does not come till episode 7.

That would leave some of 'travels with the Dog' in season 3.

Arya's travels with Sandor are also somewhat elaborated on the page, so I don't know how much of that they keep.

In fact Sandor does not put in a quick appeaance in SOS , if I remember correctly, we don't even know what his travels from KL to Arya's location were like, except for getting arrested in the Riverlands. His story may be fleshed out by the teleplay writers a bit.

I am guessing that wonderful bar fight at the Inn at the Crossroads does occur until season 4.

Another guess would be that Arya doesnot quit the Hound until like episode 4 of season 4.

They might not need to start lifting stuff from Feast for Crows until epidose 5 of season 4.

Guessing there will be a season 5 (and 6) there is a ton of Arya's story to elaborate in Braavos.

I am betting they are not going to want to configure all the sets and VFX for Braavos until season 4.

Braavos will be get a good share of screentime if that also include Sam's stop there.

Season 5 , is , in a way, are covered with material from FOC and ADWD , but it's structure will depend on WOW which should be (!) out by then!?

To be fair it's not just Sansa and Sandor. They have radically altered several of the characters and their motivations.

The picture of Robb and Talisa is also potentially worrying: how much of her will we have to endure this season?

Arya's arc and experiences have also been gutted and the length of time she will be spending with the BWB may result in more non-books scenes.

I am guessing that wonderful bar fight at the Inn at the Crossroads does occur until season 4.

Another guess would be that Arya doesnot quit the Hound until like episode 4 of season 4.

They might not need to start lifting stuff from Feast for Crows until epidose 5 of season 4.

Guessing there will be a season 5 (and 6) there is a ton of Arya's story to elaborate in Braavos.

I am betting they are not going to want to configure all the sets and VFX for Braavos until season 4.

Sounds good if that's what they do.

That scene at the inn is big and too good to rush, and Sandor "dying" is big, too (and that sets up Sandor's and Brienne's scenes in season 4). Arya setting off for Braavos is at the very end of book 3, and even if they got that far, setting/casting that scene just for that?

To be fair it's not just Sansa and Sandor. They have radically altered several of the characters and their motivations.

Almost everyone's motivations seem to have been changed, and I wouldn't even mind so much if I knew what the new ones were. I'd rather they be the same and hope for that, but what's there is not at all clear given some changes.

The Arya and Jaqen scenes were also radically changed, as were her scenes at Harrenhal. Who would have figured Tywin and Arya staring at each other would take the place of so much character development.

Almost everyone's motivations seem to have been changed, and I wouldn't even mind so much if I knew what the new ones were. I'd rather they be the same and hope for that, but what's there is not at all clear given some changes.

The Arya and Jaqen scenes were also radically changed, as were her scenes at Harrenhal. Who would have figured Tywin and Arya staring at each other would take the place of so much character development.

Indeed. They removed almost all of the trauma Arya experiences on route to and at Harrenhal and remove her formulating and killing a guard which were important moments in her character arc. By the time she is with the BWB, she is quite jaded. But now it seems like on top of the missing character development from ACOK, she is going to be with the BWB for most of Season 3. Edit: If the stills are anything to go by that is.

Unless they make her time with the Hound where she becomes harder and more willing to kill people (which will involve destroying his character arc), then her motivation for happily stepping on board with the FM and their philosophy is going to be really bizarre.

As you said, the motivation changes, alter the characters. Just take Robb, in the books he's a tragic hero, in the show, he's a douche. Edit: the photo of her and Talisa makes me worry how much she will be featured in the show.

I think people are reading that Sansa picture wrong. Look at the background! She's in the Godswood. Which means...

...she's looking happy because she's planning her escape with Ser Dontos. Maybe they'll even have the Purple Wedding in episode 10?

This was what I thought of too.

*small voice*And Margaery is a lesbian.*small voice* Oh, come on! You know we're all thinking it! Curious to see if the show confirms this fan theory or not.

Where do you get this from?

Archived