Vote ?

Xperte

My guess....a poll/vote option would use the same type of script that the 'like' uses. The script that allows the 'likes' has caused repeated crashes on the board over the past few months.

Personally, I would be willing to pay a small monthly membership to get an improved server. JMHO.

Mostly it's because we don't want every other topic to be polls: 'Who is the best fighter?', 'Who is the most intelligent?', 'Who would you want to drink with?', 'Who would buy you the best birthday present?', 'Who's better, GRRM or Robert Jordan?', 'Are the 49ers better than the Jets?'. Not that we don't get topics like that anyway, but at least people are discussing the question instead of just casting votes. We see the site as being here for discussion rather than voting.

I'll also add, in response to Becca, that we did get the server upgraded last year. Any more isn't really feasible or, indeed, necessary for most purposes. The issue with the like is that it easily ends up causing database corruption and on such a large database as ours that can be very problematic. Yes, it is possible that a much higher end server might help (but it wouldn't be a small membership fee then), but mostly its a combination of the forum being very large and the feature not being very robustly coded by IPB who makes the board software.

We could reduce the database size considerably, but it would mean purging a lot of content.

Archived