Sansa and Littlefinger - Is She Buying It?

Éadaoin

I am re-reading her now, and she is quite awesome. Originally, it was hard to forgive her for the "I love Joffrey" stuff because I never truly looked at things from Sansa's perspective, but things have changed.

Yes, I am actually a bit embarrassed that I am hopping on the Sansa bandwagon now. I hope it's not too late, but that girl is nothing short of awesome.

Her realization of Littlefinger and Petyr double personality, will make her understand the need of existence of both Alayne and Sansa. Alayne can be controlled by LF, and she is Petyr`s daughter, but Sansa, she is neither...

Yep, and I'm convinced that that's the angle GRRM was going for. The TV show let me down when it came to San/San.

I love both of the actors and I love the TV show but the way they handled San/San really, really disappointed me too :(

I also think he was going for the Beauty and the Beast angle too.

It's a very interesting question, Éadoin. As you yourself point in your OP, Sansa becomes an increasingly subtly-written character.

I think that she is beginning to see Lord Pissant for what he is, but because of her past experiences -- her relationships with Joffrey, Tyrion, the Lannisters, and the Tyrells -- she doesn't want to let too much show, nor does she want to jump to any conclusions. But there are a couple of clues to her wising up. One is her realization of the duality in Pissant's persona: "Petyr" and "Littlefinger." Second is her mixed feelings about the idea of marrying Harry the Heir. Third is her relationship with Sweetrobin, which, while frustrating at times for Sansa, I think is genuine on both parties' parts. And fourth is how quickly Sansa realizes that Lyn Corbray's opposition to LF is a ruse engineered by LF himself. She's beginning to see how LF plays the game and how things about him aren't always as they seem.

As I write and think about Sansa's increasing subtlety, I'm reminded of a brilliant post by tze (unfortunately I can't remember which thread it's in, so I can't link it) in which she argues that Sansa as Alayne is becoming more like Jon Snow. Sansa has now walked a mile in her bastard brother's shoes and become the outsider. As such, she now has the outsider's perspective that Jon had at Winterfell. Remember how Jon was able to size everyone up as they entered Winterfell's Great Hall for the royal feast? Sansa can now do the same. She immediately picks out Lyn Corbray as LF's mole among the Lords Declarant; she's very wary of Myranda Royce; and she's unsure of the Harry the Heir plan. In fact, Sansa may be starting to view Lord Pissant the same way Jon views Melisandre: Sansa recognize's LF's power, such as it is, but she's not sure if he's a person that she ultimately wants to be indebted to.

Yep, and I'm convinced that that's the angle GRRM was going for. The TV show let me down when it came to San/San.

Uh. An adult actor getting cozy with an underage girl? I would not touch that part of the series with a ten foot pole if I was in charge of the production. It's really nice on paper, of course.

OT: I thought that the question of Sansa going along with LF's scheme was very thoroughly tackled in PtP threads? One of the limiting conditions of Sansa's further (positive) development is that she does not mindlessly follow Petyr.

Uh. An adult actor getting cozy with an underage girl? I would not touch that part of the series with a ten foot pole if I was in charge of the production. It's really nice on paper, of course.

Well it's not necessarily getting cosy, he threatens her, tells her about his face, and puts a knife to her at the blackwater.

Well it's not necessarily getting cosy, he threatens her, tells her about his face, and puts a knife to her at the blackwater.

But then this needs to be executed in a way that will properly convey implied romantic undertones, many of which are only perceived due to how the reader experiences the scene. I find myself to catch certain hints and oddities while reading books, but any hint of budding romance between Sansa and Sandor sailed way past my head. I just didn't mark this down as something that would be a desirable development, I guess.

But then this needs to be executed in a way that will properly convey implied romantic undertones, many of which are only perceived due to how the reader experiences the scene. I find myself to catch certain hints and oddities while reading books, but any hint of budding romance between Sansa and Sandor sailed way past my head. I just didn't mark this down as something that would be a desirable development, I guess.

I saw him more as a teacher than them ever developing anything romantically, but if they did I'd trust GRRM to make it work. :dunno:

First of all :ack: to San/San, but I don't want to further turn this tread into one of those. But still :ack: :ack: .

I think Sansa is a total badass. I don't understand when people disparage her character and say she's the most southron of the Starks or any of that BS. It actually makes me angry. She constantly thinks of her family and her connection to Winterfell, (saying she's strongest when she was near there, etc), and it was really striking to me just how much she was drawing strength from her wolf side during her chapters in Feast. I'm not exactly sure how much she is picking up on Littlefinger's BS, because it is never explicitly stated if she is or not in her POV, however I think she is a lot smarter than people think, and is definitely putting things together.

Archived