Who will be the final POV character?

Either Jon or Dany. This is really their story. It will probably go something like this: Dany tries talking Jon to leave the North and go back with her to Essos. This is after the Others have been repelled. Jon says his job is to stay and lead the Wildlings, they need him to build good relations with the rest of the North. He's the only one that understands them, after all. Dany hops back on Drogon, and leaves for Essos to finish the job of creating a new slavery-free society. Dany doesn't tell him that she's pregnant with their child.

asoiaf is more about the game of thrones and everyone involved in it jon and dany are sidestories that were the main focus of ADWD because most of the game had been dealt with in AFFC

In order of how likely:

1. Bran. Not as a tree. He started the series, so it would be apt if he finishes it.

2. Sansa. In Winterfell, holding her newborn child, son of Aegon Targaryen. Thinking about how when he's of age, he will ride south to take the throne from his father's aunt. She falls asleep clutching her baby one in arm, and in the other, a dragon egg.

3. Dany. I have a feeling she will survive the series and take the Iron Throne but with great loss. All of her dragons are gone, and her dothraki, and Drogo and Daario and Jon. The people of Westeros fear her as a conqueror, and no matter how hard she tries, she cannot think of them as her people. Was it worth it?

4. Tyrion, in Casterly Rock, lording it up.

5. Theon. Being visited by Stannis who is in some new position of power, but not king (Queen's Hand? Lord of the Dreadfort? Warden of the North?). He has with him a gift that he thinks Theon may enjoy, as a token of peace between the Iron Islands and the North. It's name is Reek. Reek the Bastard.

6. Arya. The little girl wasn't ugly any more, but very pretty with hair of gold. She was even beginning to enjoy it. But not as much as she enjoyed being Queen. They called her a lioness, but she knew that really she was a wolf, no matter whose face she wore or what name they gave her.

As for a non-POV character, Varys and Rickon seem the obvious choices. I'll also throw Bloodraven out there.

I don't like Sansa and Arya. Arya ending up as Cercei of all people in the world? No. Just no.

As for Sansa...I don't like it because I don't like Aegon. At least not for her. I am not a SanSan shipper, and I sure as hell want her away from Littlefinger, but no. Not with Aegon, even if he's not fake and dies a hero.

I think it'll be one of the original POVs from AGoT (Bran, Cat, Dany, Ned, Jon, Arya, Tyrion, Sansa). The entire saga was originally supposed to be told from their perspective only. And of the remaining candidates, my money's on Bran; he started the series -- so you would have the symmetry aspect -- and he's a Stark, who are the "heroes" of the story.

I can't understand why everyone keeps saying Bran will have the final epilogue because his POV started the series. His POV was the first "chapter", but not the first prologue. The first prologue, and therefore the POV that actually started the series, was of a member of the NW who deserted after being scared witless by an Other and the wights it controlled.

Therefore, if you want symmetry to end the series, the final POV should be a member of the NW who has no reason to fear the Others/wights... maybe even a member of the NW who has become a conscious wight? There's definite symmetry there.

It should also be remembered here that GRRM loves to surprise us in the epilogues, usually with a huge plotty reveal coupled with a death. And even though he's proven that he'll off pretty much anyone (even if he does plan to resurrect them later), I doubt he'll end the series by killing off a character that we've all come to know and love. Too many people would be up in arms. Therefore, it's going to be someone we're not attached to, but that we're familiar enough with (like Kevan Lannister) that we can get some perspective on the series as a whole.

Also, retrospective time-jumps as epilogues are a tried & true way to try & tie up all the loose ends, but GRRM hasn't used that device before, so it would be odd for him to use it now. If he'd used it even only in the prologue of the first book, I'd say yes, but since he hasn't, I'm not banking on it suddenly cropping up now.

Last clue is that epilogues tend to include characters with abilities that exceed normal men: even Varys, whose ability to know the most closely-guarded information seems otherworldly even when you factor in his vast network of spies. So someone in the final POV will be preternatural in some regard.

Based on all of this, my guess is the POV character in the final epilogue will be Benjen Stark, aka Coldhands, who will be killed at his own request after reflecting on all that has happened & knowing that what he is will eventually be used against the realm he swore to protect when the whole business cycles through again if he's allowed to live. His last thought as the flames engulf him, & the last line of the series, will be: "Now my Watch is ended; theirs is just begun."

(BTW: relevant quote in my signature is relevant) ~_^

I want Benjen as our first Land of Always Winter POV. But and epilogue of him reflecting on his trip beyond the Wall would be awesome too.

Hmmmm *crackpot ridiculous*:

Ned wakes up as King Robert and Co. arrive at Winterfell. Everything was just his dream.

Only GRRM would troll on that level :P

I'll add something to that theory: yes, it's Ned's dream, but... it's another of his fever dreams in that cell. And in the last chapter he wakes up. Everyone we know and love is still alive, everything seems to be working out better this time around... and then, on the very last page, Ned dies of that fever.

Honestly, though, I think tree!Bran will be most likely.

It's impossible to know where Winds of Winter or Dream of Spring will go, but the story will eventually come to an end, and I'd like to hear bets on who will have the last perspective.

Will it be one the mainstays of the series (Arya, Bran, Tyrion, Sansa, Jon, or Dany)? Will it be a random epilogue character who dies at the end? Or will GRRM break form and give the final chapter a neutral third-person look at the world?

Just a guess, but I'd say it'll be Jon Snow.

This stuff gives me goosebumps, such crazy amazing ideas!!! I don't have anything to add... Isn't it sad to imagine the series ending, and saying a final goodbye to all of the people we have come to know and love (or hate?) so very much?

:crying: <---Bittersweet tears

I can't understand why everyone keeps saying Bran will have the final epilogue because his POV started the series. His POV was the first "chapter", but not the first prologue. The first prologue, and therefore the POV that actually started the series, was of a member of the NW who deserted after being scared witless by an Other and the wights it controlled.

It won't necessarily end with an epilogue. AGoT didn't have one, nor did AFFC. Off the top of my head, can't remember if ACoK did, but I'm pretty sure that book ended on Bran.

I'm trying to remember this movie, it's French, and it's about a family that finds video tapes of their house being sent to them. Long story short, it ends with a simple, revealing clip that explains how the videos came to be and the reasoning behind them. It's probably my favourite conclusion to any movie.

And I can totally see Bran having a tree moment that's exactly like it.

Archived