"Wow I never noticed that" v.2

Lady Green

Yes I agree I find someone getting decapitated not enough to go on to believe that person dead. And the scene where Joff showed Sansa that person's head on a pike was rather vague indeed.

:D ;)

:drunk: Along with the fact that practically every POV except Dany talks about Joffrey killing Ned. Oh, and the whole King of the North thingy.

I never realised that Hoster might meant Tansy, the Innkeeper of the Peach, and not the plant when he was on his deathbed. Additionally I never picked up that she might be a bastard daughter of him :blushing:

Hoster meant tansy the herb as in moon tea, not the innkeeper. I thought he meant a person as well, until my friend told me otherwise and my re-read.

I did not notice that part of Cersei's "tears-and-sex-are-a-woman's-weapon" philosophy comes from her mother.

Also noticed on a reread: Cersei can't have disliked Tyrin that much pre-Feast-she certainly made no effort to keep her children away from him.

Just because Cersei hated him, doesn't mean that Tommen and Myrcella have to. They are both smarter than Joffrey ever was.

Just because Cersei hated him, doesn't mean that Tommen and Myrcella have to. They are both smarter than Joffrey ever was.

If she hated him, and there has been a prophecy stating he'll destroy her, and Cersei being who she is, you'd think she'd try to keep her children away from him.

If she hated him, and there has been a prophecy stating he'll destroy her, and Cersei being who she is, you'd think she'd try to keep her children away from him.

Obviously she couldn't isolate them from him. The children are very found of him, as are other family members. Honestly, I don't think Cersei spent very much time with them having her precious Joffrey to train.

Until a few days ago, I had never noticed the connection/foreshadowing between Doreah's dragon story and the names Khal Drogo and Dany called one another: Drogo was sun and stars, Dany was moon of my life. I was skimming around for something and my eyes fell on this, "One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return." Felt sorta stupid afterwards.

nice, it says Dany has cracked. :laugh:

seriously though, you guys have good memory.

Hoster meant tansy the herb as in moon tea, not the innkeeper. I thought he meant a person as well, until my friend told me otherwise and my re-read.

I think it was a nickname for Lysa by context. but it isnt clear which is fine

I think it was a nickname for Lysa by context. but it isnt clear which is fine

It's not. Cat initially thought that, until she put together Hosters rambling about the blood and that there will be other trueborn children. She thought that Lysas' cycle was just very late, but remembered how depressed she was after it started, how she shunned a newborn Robb and figured out that's why the old man married Lysa off to the extremely old man.

It's not. Cat initially thought that, until she put together Hosters rambling about the blood and that there will be other trueborn children. She thought that Lysas' cycle was just very late, but remembered how depressed she was after it started, how she shunned a newborn Robb and figured out that's why the old man married Lysa off to the extremely old man.

I dont think that's answered. I know he is thinking about the abortifacient they gave Lysa and how sad she was and how he regretted hurting her. It isnt the same as moon tea, though, and it is not spelled out what Tansy means.

ETC: Sorry it IS the same as moon tea and the recipe is tansy, mint, wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. I still have not been able to convince myself that him saying "Tansy" referred to the stuff in the tea. I think it was a coincidence just from context. I think it could have been a pet name. I knew Tansy was in moon tea when I perused Hoster's delirium and still could not quite make the connection. It may be a coincidence that led Cat to make the connection - but of course she also has only deduced. SHe doesnt know for sure what happened. For once she guesses correctly.

At the Harrenhal Tourney, Rhaegar passed up his wife to symbolically place Jon Snow in Lyanna's lap. About a year later, he did the exact same thing, minus the symbolism. GRRM is awesome.

Jon is the blue winter rose. A 'laurel' is a figurative way to honor someone. So it follows that Rhaegar honored Lyanna by putting Jon in her lap. Not only did he put Jon in her lap, he put him there in the form of a crown. Jon is king.

ETA: I think most people probably recognized some vague symbolism. The discovery for me was that the symbolism is much more specific than I had originally realized.

Might be a reach here. I think it is actually to let readers know that there was more behind him crowning her than just crowning her, like perhaps something had happened the previous evening when Rhaegar was supposed to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree who many believe was Lyanna. Blue winter roses were Lyanna's favorite, I believe.

Might be a reach here. I think it is actually to let readers know that there was more behind him crowning her than just crowning her, like perhaps something had happened the previous evening when Rhaegar was supposed to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree who many believe was Lyanna. Blue winter roses were Lyanna's favorite, I believe.

They are one of GRRMs too - blue flowers in ice.

Way to tell me that I'm reaching, and then offer up some vague explanation as an alternative. :dunce:

ETA: FYI, it's possible that a scene can have both an in universe explanation (KotLT) as well as a symbolic one.

I never realized Renly and Lora's were gay... After TWO read-through, I was thinking... Why the hell didn't Renly ever get that Tyrell chick in bed.. Then I saw the show, and was like "what the hell is going on with this nipple shaving!?" then looked up that scene in AGoT, and kicked myself in the head.

How the hell did I miss that!?

Umm...

I don't think that scene was in the books, although about 50 veiled references to Renly's sexuality were.

Umm...

I don't think that scene was in the books, although about 50 veiled references to Renly's sexuality were.

The scene with Renly and the bedding was in the books and perhaps this is what is being referred to. Someone said he did have an erection presumed to be inspired by Margaery but Loras was participating so that would explain that.

Until a few days ago, I had never noticed the connection/foreshadowing between Doreah's dragon story and the names Khal Drogo and Dany called one another: Drogo was sun and stars, Dany was moon of my life. I was skimming around for something and my eyes fell on this, "One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return." Felt sorta stupid afterwards.

Now that's interesting. Nice find.

Woooooooh! Now I feel kind of stupid. Thanks!

Missed that one too... only on the second readthrough the connection between "moon = sun's wife" and "sun/moon of my life" and "Dany = moon = DRAGONS!!" clicked.

Archived