Anyone else get the feeling that Dany won't arrive in Westeros at 100%?

Jorg Ancrath

It's certain that Winds is going to open with a huge battle at Merreen with the soldiers inside the city, the Iron fleet and the surrounding slave armies/mercenaries. Even with the dragons, there's bound to be plenty of casualties on both sides. There is the possibility that the Dothraki she meets at the end of Dance could join up with her, but I personally find this unlikely.

So there will be a large exodus from Esos to Westeros with Dany's soldiers (and maybe even the older people she swears to protect) and there's the possibility of plague/sickness because the last Barristan chapter in Dance showed the slaver armies flinging infected bodies over the walls.

Now, in the newest chapter released (as well as in Storm) the real krakens are brought up again, quote: "And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena."

So we'll have thousands of ironborn, soldiers, and weaker people (if Dany still is a good queen to all) crossing the narrow sea with the very likely possibility that a significant portion of that fleet will be drowned by underwater sea beasts- the Broken arm is on the eastern tip of Dorne so it seems a decent spot for such an event to go down. Plus GRRM has written amazing naval stuff in past books and he's teased the kraken thing for a while now- it's bound to happen.

I'm not saying that there won't be supporters for Dany once she arrives- Doran and the fifty thousand men will certainly bend the knee for her, and yes, the dragons will command some degree of respect, but just think about if Dany arrived on the Westeros scene as an underdog with a small infantry force and 3 dragons of questionable behavior and loyalty (who knows how well the hellhorn will work?).

Nothing's for certain, to all those folks rooting for Dany out there- I would brace for some disappointment (just like anyone else reading this series should).

One of my wishes is that she never comes to Westeros at all. I think it would be a great twist if in fact she stayed in Essos. I mean she has never stepped a foot in Westeros before and maybe she realizes she can accomplish something great in Meeren etc

Today I started giggling when I realised that she's actually taekn so long already that the Westerosi have started sending out search parties to try and find her. Honestly, from a world-building perspective, this has always been just about my preferred outcome. From a narrative one though, I think she has to arrive in Westeros eventually because otherwise it screws up the climax which the atory threads have been thus far weaving their way towards

I think that Dany will be in a pretty strong position when she gets to Westeros. However it is somewhat possible that one of her dragons (I'm going with Rhaegal) could get killed off, perhaps allowing room for an Ice Dragon, ridden by Jon to arrive, fulfilling the "three heads has the dragon" thing in a more interesting way.

I think she is being set up stronger than anyone else. All she has to do is kill Jhaqo and his khalasar is hers (I think he will join her willingly though). She flies in on Drogon with 20,000 Dothraki screamers just as the Ironborn attack from the sea and wipe out the Yunkai. Meanwile Ser Barriston will have discovered and killed The Harpy and Tyrion will have the Second Sons ready to rush to her side. She will have her khalasar, plus the Ironborn, plus the Second Sons, plus Tyrion, plus her army in Meereen, and all three dragons, and no reason whatsoever to stay in Esos. If even half of that happens she will make it wo Westeros as a major player. The only way she's not going home is if she's killed in the first chapter.

One of my wishes is that she never comes to Westeros at all. I think it would be a great twist if in fact she stayed in Essos. I mean she has never stepped a foot in Westeros before and maybe she realizes she can accomplish something great in Meeren etc

:stillsick:

I will agree to this provided she is summarily written out of WoW and DoS on the grounds that no one wants another two books worth of Dany in Mereen chapters. Are you seriously suggesting that we spend another two books following her around as she does things no one cares about in the place no one cares about with the characters no one cares about (excluding Selmy)? I would probably just start skipping her chapters.

I think she is being set up stronger than anyone else. All she has to do is kill Jhaqo and his khalasar is hers (I think he will join her willingly though). She flies in on Drogon with 20,000 Dothraki screamers just as the Ironborn attack from the sea and wipe out the Yunkai. Meanwile Ser Barriston will have discovered and killed The Harpy and Tyrion will have the Second Sons ready to rush to her side. She will have her khalasar, plus the Ironborn, plus the Second Sons, plus Tyrion, plus her army in Meereen, and all three dragons, and no reason whatsoever to stay in Esos. If even half of that happens she will make it wo Westeros as a major player. The only way she's not going home is if she's killed in the first chapter.

Okay, so the battle will be a big Targ/Iron Victory. My problem is her getting everyone to Westeros healthy and in alive. Why would he throw the bit in about the catapulted plague bodies at the end? The slaver armies are already experiencing heavy casualties to it (if I remember correctly, it's like a dysentery of sorts). Disease and sickness might ripple through her forces, and then they have a lengthy sea voyage in most-likely cold weather (not sure how winter hits Dorne and the rest of the world)- there will probably be a lot of her people/army buried at sea.

And the krakens, I don't know what GRRM has been teasing them for but if I had to guess it would be them to attack the Iron fleet on its way back. The other big naval battle we've seen was from Davos' perspective when he assaulted King's Landing- it just seems like the transportation of Dany's army is going to be the book's last big naval event- it'd be wild to see those krakens start pulling the Iron ships under and (fingers crossed!) the dragons fight back.

I'm not saying that there won't be supporters for Dany once she arrives- Doran and the fifty thousand men will certainly bend the knee for her,

1. Dorne cannot raise 50000 men. The number has been revised to something like 20000.

2. One of Dany's dragons just killed Doran's eldest son. I think it's now more likely that he will now support Aegon's side in a Dance of the Dragons, he will think that he's his nephew after all.

:stillsick:

I will agree to this provided she is summarily written out of WoW and DoS on the grounds that no one wants another two books worth of Dany in Mereen chapters. Are you seriously suggesting that we spend another two books following her around as she does things no one cares about in the place no one cares about with the characters no one cares about (excluding Selmy)? I would probably just start skipping her chapters.

Ya, if by Halfway through the book Dany isn't at least on the way to Westeros then there's going to be a huge problem.

1. Dorne cannot raise 50000 men. The number has been revised to something like 20000.

2. One of Dany's dragons just killed Doran's eldest son. I think it's now more likely that he will now support Aegon's side in a Dance of the Dragons, he will think that he's his nephew after all.

I didn't quite think that one through- I never considered Doran would turn against her- awesome idea.

I think she'll get there and will probably have some sizable force, yes. But people fantasizing of her showing up with every Dothraki and his horse, a complete set of Unsullied, all three dragons, every ironborn ship, etc. are probably asking way too much. For reference, Victarion, an experienced sailor who'd been to that dance before, lost half his ships just getting to the general vicinity of Slaver's Bay. She can load as many of them as she wants onto eleventy billion ships, but that doesn't guarantee all of those ships will make it. I also count two dragons that have more or less gone feral.

If "Dany isn't getting to Westeros at all" is one end of the extreme and "Dany is getting to Westeros with a combined super army of awesomeness" is on the other end of the extreme, I'm pretty firmly in the middle. The idea that she isn't showing up to Westeros at all is wishful thinking, but so is the pipe dream that she can transport that many people halfway across the world without taking any major losses.

Archived