Why didn't Tywin Lannister remarry?

The Dragon King

Tywin is all about making his House is the most respected and powerful but only having 3 offspring doesn't leave you with very good odds, especially when 1 of them is basically written off due to being a dwarf. Tywin publicly gave the impression that it was because of his love for his late wife that he would not remarry but we eventually discovered that he rather fancied the whores, why would he care if people didnt find him saint-like with regards to his wife's memory? He certainly had no problem being the bad guy when it came to betraying the Targs and killing the royal family.

Even in his 50s he would easily be one of the most eligible bachelors in the 7 kingdoms. If he remarried a young and fertile maiden soon after his wife's death he could have had a whole litter of children to marry off and gain control of more Houses.

Even if he was still broken up about the whole thing I find it tough to believe that he wouldnt just grin and bear it for the good of his House, if one is fully willing to kill and die for one's House it shouldnt be too difficult to take a beautiful maiden as a wife for the good of one's House.

Lannister men are so difficult to approach. Tywin could have easily found another wife. I mean, look at Walder Frey, he is older than Tywin, not as handsome and definately not as wealthy or important and yet there is always the next Mrs Walder Frey. By the time Joanna died, Tywin was still young and he could have found another wife, but he didn't. Then, when Jaime became KG knight, all Tywin was left with, was the girl and the dwarf. Tywin could have married even then, hoping that his second wife would give him a true heir, but he didn't. Likewise, Jaime could have had any woman he liked, but he didn't. He was faithfull to Cersei. Kevan, also was loyal to Dorna, an unattractive woman, who disliked KL, and his final thoughts were about her. Tysha basically haunts Tyrion and she is the cause of his actions, especially in the end of SOS. In any case, Tywin Lannister is a rather difficult character to understand. If he wanted, he could have found any bride, he is the man who married his nephew to a baby and his dwarf son to a highborn hostage. I expect that more details of Tywin and Joanna will be revealed in the next books.

I never really thought about it. It's definatley an intersting question. He was quick to want to remarry Cersei to secure an alliance. Who could he have married though?Talk about southern ambitions, what if he approached Rickard about Lyanna before Ned did about Robert? I guess Cat or Lysa were an option as mentioned above. Ashara Dayne would have been possible to secure some friends in Dorn (pre KL sack of course), though they are just bannermen to the Martells.

To be honest though.....I can't think of a great match? What other house has a big enough name if not Lysa Tully?

Think of the major houses

Dorne = No freaking way

Baratheon = No woman. Robert/Stannis/Renly all with no daughters or sisters.

Stark = Lyanna is dead, the Stark daughters would have been REALLY young

Greyjoy = Not enough clout to deserve consideration

Tyrell = Margery maybe but again really to young.

Redwine = Desmira....maybe....but again pretty far beneith the station of the head of house Lannister

Frey = Maybe....but again would Tywin have sunk so low.

he may have been eligable...but the more i think on it....the more trouble i have thinking of a match that makes sense

To be honest though.....I can't think of a great match? What other house has a big enough name if not Lysa Tully?

Dorne = No freaking way

Redwine = Desmira....maybe....but again pretty far beneith the station of the head of house Lannister

he may have been eligable...but the more i think on it....the more trouble i have thinking of a match that makes sense

He could have married an Hightower if he wanted.

Just, he didn't want to

Dorne = No freaking way

He was widowed way before Lyanna died. She would have still been young for him, but by no means out of the ordinary. Then Rheagar would have turned down Cersei and stolen his bethothed.. That would have been CRAZY!

Dorne = No freaking way

The are other major houses which may not control all of a province but still can command quite some respect and rescources, such as the Tarlys, Freys, Florents (now exiled), Hightowers etc. Or perhaps one of his own bannermen such as the Crakehalls and Marbrands. I also doubt that he'd have to 'stoop' to elderly ladies, Walder Frey certainly didn't and he was less in rank than Tywin.

It does seem odd he wouldn't have 'forced' himself on Lysa Arryn, instead of letting a 'nobody' like Baelish run off with her, in order to bring the Vale into the fold. I say odd, because he definitely was thinking like that for Cercei.

The are other major houses which may not control all of a province but still can command quite some respect and rescources, such as the Tarlys, Freys, Florents (now exiled), Hightowers etc. Or perhaps one of his own bannermen such as the Crakehalls and Marbrands. I also doubt that he'd have to 'stoop' to elderly ladies, Walder Frey certainly didn't and he was less in rank than Tywin.

It does seem odd he wouldn't have 'forced' himself on Lysa Arryn, instead of letting a 'nobody' like Baelish run off with her, in order to bring the Vale into the fold. I say odd, because he definitely was thinking like that for Cercei.

She had already fled the City and is trying to make everyone believe that the Lannisters killed her husband. I dont think they want someone like that it KL and I dont think Lysa would have accepted it.

Dorne = No freaking way

Margaery probably wasn't born and Tywin had already spit in the face of the Freys.

I assumed that he was unable to trust another woman given that he felt that Joanna cheated on him and left him with a dwarf son but there might have just been no reason to do so.

Margaery probably wasn't born and Tywin had already spit in the face of the Freys.

I assumed that he was unable to trust another woman given that he felt that Joanna cheated on him and left him with a dwarf son but there might have just been no reason to do so.

Maybe he was afraid of another " monster" in the family? Again, with Tywin I don't find it unlikely.

The are other major houses which may not control all of a province but still can command quite some respect and rescources, such as the Tarlys, Freys, Florents (now exiled), Hightowers etc. Or perhaps one of his own bannermen such as the Crakehalls and Marbrands.

Exactly, despite what Aerys said about it marriages with the main vassal houses are very common. And no risk for rejection there, they would have thrown their daughters at him. And if he wanted some distant relative, no problem Lannisport is overflowing with them.

This is because he just isn't the ice hearted politic machine he's made out to be. But a vain, bitter man with many complex issues.

Exactly, despite what Aerys said about it marriages with the main vassal houses are very common. And no risk for rejection there, they would have thrown their daughters at him. And if he wanted some distant relative, no problem Lannisport is overflowing with them.

This is because he just isn't the ice hearted politic machine he's made out to be. But a vain, bitter man with many complex issues.

Except that it was the people within those domains that generally married their vassals to shore up support. Tywin it seems, has little to gain from a marriage to a Hightower. If he doesn't want to marry again he'd only do so for political gain and there is no political gain.

Perhaps he felt like roose Bolton and didn't know that he could raise a new son before he died.

"Too many dragons (lions) is as dangerous as too few"

Lets take a look at the Lannister family tree

Unnamed Lord

-Tytos

--Tywin

---Cersei

---Jaime

---Tyrion

--Kevan

---Lancel

---Tion

---Martyn

--Tygett

---Tyrek

--Gerion

---Joy (Hill)

-Unnamed brother

--Stafford

---Daven

--Joanna m Tywin

Thats quite enough Lannisters

I'll say it again: Tywin should just have married again, and Jamie would have been kicked out of the Kingsguard so fast that he would have broken the Sound Barrier. With a record like his, nobody would want Jamie as a kingsguard, Robert and Jon Arryn only kept him so Casterly Rock would pass to Cersei and later to her children (since everybody knew Tywin would never allow Tyrion to get it).

If Tywin had married again and produced a boy, there would be another heir before Cersei, and there would no reason to keep Jamie in the Kingsguard.

Ok but he already had the Freys by marriage to his sister. He already had the milk why keep buying cows. I keep thinking what marriage would bring Tywin something he didn't already have? Do the Tarly's have a daughter of age?

Archived