Why didn't Tywin Lannister remarry?

The Dragon King

It's stated pretty clearly when Selmy is de-white-robed that there is no "retiring" as KG.. you live and die in the post. Tywin might be in denial about it, but Jaime won't ever inherit CR. At least until the new precedent is set with Selmy, it's always been "once a KG, always a KG"

It's stated pretty clearly when Selmy is de-white-robed that there is no "retiring" as KG.. you live and die in the post. Tywin might be in denial about it, but Jaime won't ever inherit CR. At least until the new precedent is set with Selmy, it's always been "once a KG, always a KG"

In fact, this seems to be the basis of Jaime's strange status at the beginning of AGOT: nobody quite knows what to do with him, it seems. Bran mentally discounts him as a 'real' Kingsguard, and he doesn't wear the whites, but at the same time nobody seems to think he's actually, officially out: there's no replacement appointed, for example. Tywin's clearly in denial, as you say, but everyone else is sort of ignoring the issue, and so his status remains.

Taking into account what Jamie had done, I think the High Septon would have been willing to release him from his oaths. As a matter of fact, I don't think his old oath to Aerys mattered anymore, and had to renew them to remain a kingsguard for Robert.

what house was joanna part of before marrying tywin?

also, considering tommen is actually a full blooded lannister, the house will live on.

Joanna was Tywin's first cousin.

This is a good question to bring up though. Tywin does nothing that he doesn't think will benefit him in the end. He was always dillusional that Jaime would leave the KG and become his heir while ignoring the fact that his most competent child was currently his heir because he was a dwarf who is really fucked up due to his parenting. I feel that Tywin remarrying would actually weaken his position. His power stems from his wealth and the fear most of the realm has of Tywin. People view him in an almost god-like reverence while despising him at the same time. Marriage would have brought concerns for another house to his attention which is why he did not marry out of house Lannister to begin with. He married a Lannister because he only cares about Lannisters.

In fact, this seems to be the basis of Jaime's strange status at the beginning of AGOT: nobody quite knows what to do with him, it seems. Bran mentally discounts him as a 'real' Kingsguard, and he doesn't wear the whites, but at the same time nobody seems to think he's actually, officially out: there's no replacement appointed, for example.

I've always wondered about this. It's almost as if GRRM hadn't fully developed the idea of the KG serving for life, not holding lands, etc, as of the opening chapters of aGoT. The other possibility is that Jaime was a normal member of the KG (because Robert refused to make him take the black) but Selmy, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, didn't approve of him and refused to put him on the duty roster.

Joanna was Tywin's first cousin.

Does the text ever say first cousin? I don't think it does. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Cousin is often used as a vague term for a close relation.

She probably was a first cousin to Tywin, but Lannister family tree info upstream from Tywin is maddingly (and no doubt deliberately) lacking. If Joanna was Tywin's first cousin, than Tytos must have had a younger brother. Who was he? Who were Tytos' father and mother? (This could be important, because the mother could have been Rae or Daella Targaryen, Egg's sisters.)

Does the text ever say first cousin? I don't think it does. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Cousin is often used as a vague term for a close relation.

She probably was a first cousin to Tywin, but Lannister family tree info upstream from Tywin is maddingly (and no doubt deliberately) lacking. If Joanna was Tywin's first cousin, than Tytos must have had a younger brother. Who was he? Who were Tytos' father and mother? (This could be important, because the mother could have been Rae or Daella Targaryen, Egg's sisters.)

Joanna is Tywin's first cousin, has to be, elsewise Stafford and Daven Lannister would not be considered Lannisters "of the Rock"

I've always wondered about this. It's almost as if GRRM hadn't fully developed the idea of the KG serving for life, not holding lands, etc, as of the opening chapters of aGoT. The other possibility is that Jaime was a normal member of the KG (because Robert refused to make him take the black) but Selmy, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, didn't approve of him and refused to put him on the duty roster.

Maybe it was a bit like in the show, that Robert thought it was fun to have:

Jamie Lannister, son of the mighty Tywin forced to mind the door while your king eats and drinks and shits and fucks.

It is also possibilbe rather you think that this theory is correct or not, that Tywin had some question about rather the twins were Mad kinf Aryes and not his. That the last time he had a son....it was Tyrion. Maybe he had a genuine fear about having another child because if he had another dwarf child by another woman.....what would this say about him.

(His possible perspective....not mine)

^This is what I thought. That he never remarried because he didn't want anymore children like Tyrion.

what house was joanna part of before marrying tywin?

also, considering tommen is actually a full blooded lannister, the house will live on.

Joanna was also a Lannister, Tywin's cousin.

Anyway, it's not about living on, especially when Tommen's official last name is Baratheon, it's about dominating. The more Lannisters there are the more they can advance the House.

Because he loved Joanna.

I know, I'm so poor at making up theories to put in place of simple and nice facts...

Marriage for those people is not about love, it's a political alliance to advance your House. Tywin would have no problem sending his own family to war if that advanced House Lannister. Having a wife who could give you children, which you can later marry to other Houses gives you more pieces on the chessboard to work with.

I think the Lannisters would have been wise to marry Tyrells. They control the most food rich part of the realm, and the Lannisters control the most gold rich part, if the Lannisters had both the money and the food no one would be able to challenge them.

Archived