Why didn't Tywin Lannister remarry?

The Dragon King

You have read the books, right?

Tywin married Tyrion off to Sansa. He tried several times before that to marry Tyrion off. Tyrion not having legitimate children is not down to Tywin. Tyrion's children would have inherited the Rock before any children from a second marriage Tywin may have had.

Just before Joffrey is killed we see that Tyrion is married, with Tywin eager for him to have children, while Jaime is still in the Kingsguard. He is 27 the clock is ticking on Tywin being able to make him become a Maester, a Septon or join the Watch.

You have read my posts, right?

We are speaking of "why didn't Tywin remarry?". I wrote that, if Tywin had remarried and had another son, then it would have been easier for him to get Jamie out of the Kingsguard, because he would have a shiny new heir and the Rock would never go to Cersei or any of her children.

I was speaking of what would have happened "IF Tywin had remarried", as in something that didn't actually happen in the books.

At the beginning of the books Jamie has been a kingsguard for 15-16 years, and Cersei has been queen for 14 years. He could have married at any point before the War of the Five Kings started and have gotten rid of Tyrion.

Or he could have married after Tyrion's execution, if Varys hadn't released the latter from prision. In both cases he could get a new heir.

As I said earlier, marrying would have made it easier for Jamie to be released from his vows.

Nobody would want a kingslayer and oathbreaker as kingsguard. Jamie, however, was kept because everybody knew that Tywin loathed Tyrion and would make Cersei or one of her kids his heir rather than allow Tyrion become the Lord of the Rock.

I think this is a stretch. If Tywin has another son, there is no reason to release Jaime from his vows so the whole thing becomes moot.  He wanted his heir to be Jaime specifically, most likely because Jaime was the only Lannister with a better claim than Tyrion. There's no indication at all that Tommen, a  Baratheon by name, was ever the assumed heir to Casterly Rock. There are plenty of Lannisters who would make more sense. 

You have read my posts, right?

Yeah, not a lot of it makes sense.

We are speaking of "why didn't Tywin remarry?". I wrote that, if Tywin had remarried and had another son, then it would have been easier for him to get Jamie out of the Kingsguard, because he would have a shiny new heir and the Rock would never go to Cersei or any of her children.

In this hypothetical scenario of yours Tyrion, and any children he would have before Tywin kicks the bucket, would be before Cersei and her children. Those are the facts.

In a private conversation between Tyrion and Tywin it had been mentioned that Tyrion would never get the Rock, Jaime's birthright, but to the realm Tyrion  was still the heir. Tywin had not named a new heir or publicly told the realm that Tyrion was not his heir (like that would mean anything).

What we do know is that Tywin had tried to marry Tyrion to many powerful families and when Tyrion was finally married he was encouraging him to hurry up and produce heirs. All these heirs would be before Cersei and her brood for the Rock.

I was speaking of what would have happened "IF Tywin had remarried", as in something that didn't actually happen in the books.

Right. You are talking about a hypothetical situation within a hypothetical situation.

Tywin had no need to remarry, there was over 20 Lannister heirs running around. Any children from a new marriage, just like Cersei, Kevan and their children, would be behind Tyrion.

At the beginning of the books Jamie has been a kingsguard for 15-16 years, and Cersei has been queen for 14 years. He could have married at any point before the War of the Five Kings started and have gotten rid of Tyrion.

And yet he didnt, he did not feel he had to.

Or he could have married after Tyrion's execution, if Varys hadn't released the latter from prision. In both cases he could get a new heir.

Possibly, or more likely he would name another Lannister as his new heir. Lucky Martyn Lannister.

The reason that he did not remarry is because Tywin really love Joanna. He became the ruthless man he is in the books after her death.The only person I can see Tywin getting remarry to  is Olenna Tyrell. She is his female equal(both are the brains and leaders of their family ) .  Of course, it would be a political marriage.It would also be entertaining to see how she would be as a stepmom.

Archived