R+L=J v.40

Angalin

One problem with Ashara not being at Starfall is she may have been pregnant, from the books. Although Selmy said it happened at the Tourney and that happened in 281. This is 283. So she killed herself about 2 years later over her stillborn and Arthur? That makes no sense, Arthur does, just not killing yourself over your baby a 2 years later. Either she was not pregnant. Or?

Could Lyanna somehow have been pretending to be her at Starfall while Ashara was at Kings landing with Elia Martell? While the Daynes would have known, some new staff solves the problem of Lyanna is, keep her isolated in a wing Wylla is her nurse. Bring her in at night with a Hood on, most of the regulars are off at war. The main family, Wylla and the Measter would have known but that's about it. That's pretty far fetched.

I still want to know why Martin put in there that her body was never recovered. how often has that happened in the books, people are getting bones sent here and there all the time. I always think she will make a surprise return. If Howland can stay away from everyone for that amount of time so can she damn it. Proabaly not.

Also Selmy says she sought Stark aid after her childs death. But again the timeline does not support this. If the laughing night story is true then it is early 281 winter is ending and spring is breaking when she gets preggy. She kills herself in late 283 almost 284. That's almost two years after she would have had the kid. When did she seek aid from the Starks? Doesn't add up.

That's actually not what he says. He says she "turned to Stark" after being "dishonored" at Harrenhal. This would have been when she first got pregnant, not when the child had already died. I'd also be very leery of pinning too many conclusions on Ashara's pregnancy, her child, who knocked her up, etc., because virtually none of that is 100% confirmed and it happens to come from second-hand sources.

I apologize but at this point it seems like you're doing a stream-of-consciousness thing and I'm having trouble following what arguments you're trying to make. We've provided evidence from the author that Ashara wasn't necessarily stuck in any one place during the war and logistical evidence that she's the best candidate for who told Ned where to find his sister. If you choose to reject those arguments, that's fine, but I've yet to see you or anyone else offer anything that makes more sense.

I apologize but at this point it seems like you're doing a stream-of-consciousness thing and I'm having trouble following what arguments you're trying to make. We've provided evidence from the author that Ashara wasn't necessarily stuck in any one place during the war and logistical evidence that she's the best candidate for who told Ned where to find his sister. If you choose to reject those arguments, that's fine, but I've yet to see you or anyone else offer anything that makes more sense.

Pretty much this, I'm afraid.

Same does not go for Storm's End. Robert is not there. Ned left KL because of the dispute over the dead Targ children. Ned staying in SE for a bit to get the place in order is very plausible. It also gives him a time and facilities to do the only thing he has left to do: look into finding his sister.

A debunking of Ashara being in KL. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/49066-how-did-ned-find-out-where-lyanna-was/page__st__120#entry4042277

Ashara informing Ned makes the most sense, as a tragic story element. The logistics might take us a little time to figure out.

Okay from the books, and read carefully. He left for Storms end, when he got to storms end as soon as Eddard and his troops arrived on the field Mace Tyrell dipped his banners. That's from the book. Ned left after lifting the Siege with 6 men and went to the tower of Joy. He lifted the Siege in less than an hour.Even if he stayed there a week it is not enough time. Given the amount of time left in 283, he could not have been there very long. My reason for this is because the war started in 283 and ended in 283. Storms end was under Siege for almost a year. So Ned would have to book to make it to The tower and get there before the year ends. It's about 700-800 miles, 50 miles a day is good time on a horse. Even then you would need to trade the horses out after 5 days it's to much on the hooves. Anyway he then fought with the Kingsguard, then he tore down the tower to make graves for his men and the guard. Then he went 360 odd miles to Starfall and Ashara dies. All of that takes place at the very end of 283. He can't wait at Storms end for 2 weeks for a raven. He would have to tell her he is there, then she has to send a raven back to him. At about 100 miles a day.

Not saying it's impossible, but man it's improbable. Not to say Martin wouldn't change the timeline, but he would need to, to make that work. I may not have all the insight when it comes to the books, but I know maps, and I know logistics. Those riding miles are as the crow flies it's probably closer to 900 miles, your going around marshes, forests, mountains, there are no easy routs. Just looking at the map, he would have to come down along the cost and take the boneway. God it's not even close to a straight line. He would need close to a month do all that.

That's actually not what he says. He says she "turned to Stark" after being "dishonored" at Harrenhal. This would have been when she first got pregnant, not when the child had already died. I'd also be very leery of pinning too many conclusions on Ashara's pregnancy, her child, who knocked her up, etc., because virtually none of that is 100% confirmed and it happens to come from second-hand sources.

Okay that's fine and I am said I am not sure she got pregnant, because the timeline does not fit, which it does not. She would not have known she got pregnant in a day. It does not work that way. But lets say she did get preggo there. It's early spring 281, she kills herself at the very end of 283. The baby would have been born at the end of 281 or early 282. That leaves most of 282 and all of 283. That's two years after the stillbirth. That's why I pointed out I don't think it happened.

Are you joking? I never once said she was nailed down. One person said she sent ravens, I rejected that idea because of the logistics. One person said riding, I rejected that because of the logistics. I said she may have been at KL because she was a lady in waiting to Elia. OMG you have got to be kidding me. I am the one giving you the logistics. Really? I mean Really? Your the ones who brought up Ravens and horses.

I have given you the times, the dates, the miles, distance they could travel ETA's, timeline, animal speed, terrain. You gave me logistics? You gave me Ravens and Horses, both of which don't work. It has to be a joke, nobody could miss that. You are handing me some crazy debate about Ashara that I never said or started.

So what if Martin said she was could move around, they all can. That's a big surprise. I never said she was stuck in Starfall I said she died there. Show one time I said Ashara was stuck there, please? Show me all these logistics you have posted.

Okay that's fine and I am said I am not sure she got pregnant, because the timeline does not fit, which it does not. She would not have known she got pregnant in a day. It does not work that way. But lets say she did get preggo there. It's early spring 281, she kills herself at the very end of 283. The baby would have been born at the end of 281 or early 282. That leaves most of 282 and all of 283. That's two years after the stillbirth. That's why I pointed out I don't think it happened.

Are you joking? I never once said she was nailed down. One person said she sent ravens, I rejected that idea because of the logistics. One person said riding, I rejected that because of the logistics. I said she may have been at KL because she was a lady in waiting to Elia. OMG you have got to be kidding me. I am the one giving you the logistics. Really? I mean Really? Your the ones who brought up Ravens and horses.

I have given you the times, the dates, the miles, distance they could travel ETA's, timeline, animal speed, terrain. You gave me logistics? You gave me Ravens and Horses, both of which don't work. It has to be a joke, nobody could miss that. You are handing me some crazy debate about Ashara that I never said or started.

So what if Martin said she was could move around, they all can. That's a big surprise. I never said she was stuck in Starfall I said she died there. Show one time I said Ashara was stuck there, please? Show me all these logistics you have posted.

I am not going to engage in any discussion with you if you're going to be rude. Believe whatever you want, I don't really care. But getting impatient and nasty toward people who are trying to explain this stuff to you in good faith is not the way to go about having a debate.

There are 40 versions of this thread, all of which have been linked. I have no doubt that at some point, somewhere, someone in one of them argued these points to your satisfaction. Happy hunting.

The argument of logistics is based on how long Ned was in a place. There is no information about how long he was in, for instance, Storm's End.

"Eddard Stark had ridden out that very day in a cold rage, to fight the last battles of the war alone in the south." AGoT p. 112.

Even if the Tyrell's and Redwyne's gave in 2 minutes after Ned shows up, there is nothing about how long Ned was there.

Travel distances are an issue, but since we don't have exacting times, they are not an end all.

(Also, what Apple said.)

The argument of logistics is based on how long Ned was in a place. There is no information about how long he was in, for instance, Storm's End.

"Eddard Stark had ridden out that very day in a cold rage, to fight the last battles of the war alone in the south." AGoT p. 112.

Even if the Tyrell's and Redwyne's gave in 2 minutes after Ned shows up, there is nothing about how long Ned was there.

Travel distances are an issue, but since we don't have exacting times, they are not an end all.

(Also, what Apple said.)

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this but, It should also be noted that if Ashara did indeed ride from Starfall or the TOJ to meet Ned somewhere in person she was probably riding a Dornish sand steed horse(which Dorne is famous for) which is a lot faster than any other type of horse in Westeros, and is said to be able to ride for 2 days straight and never tire.....just sayin.

Okay from the books, and read carefully. He left for Storms end, when he got to storms end as soon as Eddard and his troops arrived on the field Mace Tyrell dipped his banners. That's from the book. Ned left after lifting the Siege with 6 men and went to the tower of Joy. He lifted the Siege in less than an hour.Even if he stayed there a week it is not enough time. Given the amount of time left in 283, he could not have been there very long. My reason for this is because the war started in 283 and ended in 283. Storms end was under Siege for almost a year. So Ned would have to book to make it to The tower and get there before the year ends. It's about 700-800 miles, 50 miles a day is good time on a horse. Even then you would need to trade the horses out after 5 days it's to much on the hooves. Anyway he then fought with the Kingsguard, then he tore down the tower to make graves for his men and the guard. Then he went 360 odd miles to Starfall and Ashara dies. All of that takes place at the very end of 283. He can't wait at Storms end for 2 weeks for a raven. He would have to tell her he is there, then she has to send a raven back to him. At about 100 miles a day.

Like Ser Leftwich said, few of these numbers are actually conclusive, so they can't really be used to rule anything out -- at least, not when we're so unsure about the timeline.

Also, I'm not sure why you're so certain about the year 283. Is that just me? The wiki says RR took place in 282-283. http://awoiaf.wester...ert's_Rebellion

So why is Ned running out of time? I just don't see it. What's more, neither the ToJ nor Ned's trip to Starfall has any correlation to the official end of the rebellion, so he would not necessarily have been required to make it to Starfall before the end of 283 to fit the timeline.

Also, there's that little matter Apple raised:

If you choose to reject those arguments, that's fine, but I've yet to see you or anyone else offer anything that makes more sense.

I haven't actually tried arguing in the line of Arthur + Lyanna in some posts now, you people can hold a grudge, certainly.

But anyway.

The citadel says the war started one or two years after the tournament and that Martin isn't quite sure of the timeline himself. I think, he is, but he might not have worked out all the details quite yet and prefers to give himself some room to play with.

Personally, I find two years more likely.

Lyanna would have had to travel back home, eventually. I believe she was in Winterfell, she's still quite young and was already involved in one scandal. I doubt Rickard Stark would have let her go off on her own or stay with Brandon. Brandon and Lyanna both had the wolf blood, surely, as a father, he might think Brandon would be a bad influence on his already wild daughter. Also, Lyanna might have trusted Benjen with her plans, which gives Benjen a good reason to take the Black, afterwards. He's still very young at that time, I doubt he'd have betrayed his sister. Its been pointed out, that Benjen would have taken the Black regardless, because its a thing for second sons of house Stark to do. Him knowing about Lyanna, makes sense also. It can't be discounted.

Then, Lyanna needs to be abducted: such a venture, if it was done by ship, would require some planning, and contact by raven or messenger. Ravens travel pretty quickly, but I still think, it might have taken some time to figure it all out.

Once its planned, Rhaegar and the Kingsguard need to travel up north.

Then, Lyanna leaves with them.

Then, you need time for the rumor to spread and reach Brandon's ears.

Then, you need time for Brandon to travel all the way to Kingslanding and news of Brandon's imprisonment and Aerys's summons to reach the north.

After that, Rickard Stark needs to travel all the way to Kingslanding.

One year seems pretty tight for all of these things to occur. This could suggest also, that Lyanna was with Rhaegar for over a year, and more likely two.

I actually think it more likely also, that Rhaegar and the KG traveled by road. This way, it takes more time for them to reach their destination, especially since they couldn't have traveled on the Kingsroad. This makes sense, as they would have needed secrecy, and also gives us a convenient explanation as to how they didn't know anything about Brandon. If they avoided mixing with other people, they couldn't have heard any rumors about Lyanna's brother. And it means fewer witnesses, since the ship would have need of a captain and crew. Or it was a small boat and the KG were knowledgeable in sailing.

Since the ToJ is located south of Kingslanding, it would make sense that by the time they arrived, having come such a long way, Brandon had arrived at Kingslanding also. Take or leave a week or two.

If that was the case, then I can agree on Lyanna waiting it out at the ToJ. However, the tower, still doesn't strike me as the perfect place to hide away in. I believe it was an emergency solution, or a short stop on their way south, rather, and that it wasn't necessarily planned for Lyanna to be there quite that long.

It's likely Rhaegar didn't expect to be absent for quite so long either and left with no way of knowing that the conflict would lead to full war. In that case the KG and Lyanna, would have been told to wait on his return. However, the conflict escalated, Rhaegar never returned and it became obvious that Lyanna was with child. Arthur, then rides to Starfall and brings Wylla.

That work for you?

Rhaegar would never risk his child's life and say his location to anybody, especially to Robert's friend.

Rhaegar died several months before the ToJ. A Dayne was not only there, but knew that 1. Rhaegar was dead. 2. That tMK was dead. 3. Visery was on DS. Add in Starfell was not far from ToJ, where do you think Dayne got news from? Where would he have gotten help with a newborn baby, and sick mother?

I don't buy the Ashara told Ned about Lyanna line. When and where would Ned and Ashara have met? At kingslanding? If Ashara knew about where Lyanna was, wouldn't it make sense a lot more people knew as well?

Could it be rather that someone else who was at the ToJ, later was confronted by Ned and spilled the secret? Was Ned looking for Lyanna or the KG? might be, someone else knew about the KG whereabouts and Ned wondered why these three were absent and came up with an explanation for it himself. It could be also, that it was a rumor he heard, but that considering the chaos of the war, most people weren't concerned much about the rumor. Ned, still looking for his sister, would investigate even if the rumor was easily dismissed by others.

Rhaegar died several months before the ToJ. A Dayne was not only there, but knew that 1. Rhaegar was dead. 2. That tMK was dead. 3. Visery was on DS. Add in Starfell was not far from ToJ, where do you think Dayne got news from? Where would he have gotten help with a newborn baby, and sick mother?

Oh, this was in reply that Rhaegar said about location of ToJ to Ned before his death at Trident.

How Dayne is related to this?

I believe that Dayne got help from Starfell.

I don't buy the Ashara told Ned about Lyanna line. When and where would Ned and Ashara have met? At kingslanding? If Ashara knew about where Lyanna was, wouldn't it make sense a lot more people knew as well?

This has been a main topic of discussion since about post #45. You'll find several arguments proposed by a variety of posters, myself included. Also, I believe someone posted a link about the idea of Ashara being in KL.

Could it be rather that someone else who was at the ToJ, later was confronted by Ned and spilled the secret? Was Ned looking for Lyanna or the KG? might be, someone else knew about the KG whereabouts and Ned wondered why these three were absent and came up with an explanation for it himself. It could be also, that it was a rumor he heard, but that considering the chaos of the war, most people weren't concerned much about the rumor. Ned, still looking for his sister, would investigate even if the rumor was easily dismissed by others.

Possible, but I think it less likely than Ashara. The appeal of the idea that Ashara told Ned is that it explains several things about Ned's behavior that don't really make much sense otherwise. (Again, post #45 and beyond.)

So we have reasons to think it may have been Ashara, but not any real reason to think that it was some random unknown. When we have a good option that fits neatly with the books, we needn't introduce another that doesn't. Occam's Razor, etc., if you ask me.

Look I am just going to drop the other stuff, it doesn't matter. Forget it. Ashara is wherever, Ned can get to the tower whenever, he found out from her, from the wind, whatever. Where Lyanna was taken from or left from doesn't matter. She is at the tower okay.

So how long is she there? 8 months, 9 months, 10 months? She is there for awhile if that is where she was the whole time. A long while. Need a nurse, need a lot of supplies, need protection.

So why? She is in Dorne, she is near enough to starfall Arthur's home. Dorne is totally RT friendly, it does not matter if he is with another woman, their culture is totally cool with that. So why hide in a little tower in the middle of the entrance to Dorne? Who in Dorne would they need to hide from? They went there I assume because it is the place most loyal to RT. RT is loved in Dorne so why not go to Starfall which would be safer and more comfortable for Lyanna? The nurse, supplies, protection, safety, all exist in Starfall to a much higher Degree.

Even if it leaks out she is there she is still safe. Robert and Ned don't even unite there full forces until the Bells, which is in the Riverlands. They split their forces to get her and Robert gets shattered at the Trident. Ned now has his flank exposed and the Tyrell's can cut him off on top of that.

So why do it? Why stay at that tower? Why not go some place safer and not to far away? Even if your hiding her there the Tower of Joy is still an exposed location. It makes no sense to stay there for an extended period of time, not in Dorne, not in a place that is your strength.

Lets agree on a few things.

I agree Ashara was or could be mobile, always have. Still not sure why you think I don't.

I think we all agree as to when the war started and when it ended.

We agree on the parents of Jon.

We agree on the players

Lyanna did not want to merry Robert who she did not trust to be faithful

She was at winterfell when she heard her dad promised her to robert.

My problems, that I am having

The timeline, not your timeline. The actual timeline. It does not fit the math. It's inconsistant.

How Lyanna got south, I argue she took a ship from a port with RT. I just can't see them getting that far on horse with all those people looking for them. It's didn't workout well for Bree at all when she tried. Littlefinger and Sansa took a ship and that did workout. Wrote all of this on page one by the way.

That Lyanna was never at Starfall. I believe at some point she was.

The tower of joy already explained why in this post and my post on page one.

I don't believe Jon was at the tower when his mother died. I don't think her blood is from giving birth. I do not think Wylla was at the tower, she is never mentioned as being there. It would just be a massive oversite and it now becomes a forced mystery. Ned recalls everyone but Jon and Wylla in a flashback/dream, who is he hiding it from, his own brain?

Ned holding Lyanna, the promis that gives him nightmares even 15 years later. If Jon is the promis why would that give him nightmares?

Lyanna's death, what was Howland doing? Was he still fighting? He came in after she died while Ned was holding her corps. Then Ned can't remember what happened after that. Did Howland somehow make him forget? Or is it a mental block? Why would he remember the worst part about her death, but not the part after that?

Again, however Ned was told about the Tower, Ashara, wind, don't really care. He was told, he went, Ashara killed herself. I have no problem with you saying it was her. I don't care if she sent a magic bee to tell him or flew there like Neo in the Matrix. Worst kept secret ever Ned got there, Hightower got there, anyone who seemed to want to find them found them.

The only way I see them staying at the tower for an extended period of time is if it was somehow a special place. So far the only thing that seems special about it is the irony of the name. Worst tower ever.

Wouldn't that be an interesting twist, he was looking for those 3, finds them. Got into a fight and then hears her scream from inside the tower. Still if he is looking for those guys wouldn't he take more men. How does he know there strength of Force. Arthur Dayne is in Dorne, he can call on his house Banners and guard easy enough. For all Ned knows he is their with 500 men. Or he has moved to his home at Starfall which is a lot closer to Arthur than Ned is to him. Why would he go in short handed making a lot of unconfirmed assumptions about an opponent that is more than likely going to be very hostile to him. That is following your scenario.

Think Ned was looking for Lyanna. The talk pre-fight with the KG would seem to show that Ned expected them pretty much anywhere else than there.

In terms of taking so few men I'm guessing that the heard about the location at KL. To get a big group of people together would take time and inevitably a larger group would travel more slowly. Who ever told Ned where to find Lyanna and whatever circumstances they told Ned she was in I'd suggest he thought speed and secrecy was on the essence. Hence he takes a few close friends. 7 well armed, armoured men would be enough to deter bandits but few enough to move at speed.

Wouldn't that be an interesting twist, he was looking for those 3, finds them. Got into a fight and then hears her scream from inside the tower. Still if he is looking for those guys wouldn't he take more men. How does he know there strength of Force. Arthur Dayne is in Dorne, he can call on his house Banners and guard easy enough. For all Ned knows he is their with 500 men. Or he has moved to his home at Starfall which is a lot closer to Arthur than Ned is to him. Why would he go in short handed making a lot of unconfirmed assumptions about an opponent that is more than likely going to be very hostile to him. That is following your scenario.

Oh, twisting words! What I meant is that Ned notices three KG are missing. Thing is, his sister is missing too. It's not a stretch for Ned to think "hey, maybe, these three are with my sister". It’s not a stretch either, to guess more than one person could have heard something about where the KG are. So when Ned hears something about dorne and the Tower of Joy, he comes to the conclusion, Lyanna might be there, too. His traveling with only six men, could also be explained as a way to prevent a battle. At this point, what he wants is to get his sister back. Riding to dorne with a host of people, would have come off as hostile.

I've read the posts about Ashara, the one thing though is that we know she was pregnant and very possibly gave birth in Kingslanding since Barristan seems to have seen the babe. Granted, she's free to move and could have traveled back to Starfall at any given point. I've suggested before, though the idea was dismissed, that Ashara traveled with her brother.

If Ashara wasn't at any given time at the ToJ or didn't play a particular role in the whole sordid business, then I don't get why she of all people would know about Lyanna. She's Arthur's sister, but so what? As has been pointed out, the less people know, the better, since someone always tells.

I agree with some people here, that it being planned for Lyanna to stay at the ToJ for a long time sounds implausible. 'A long time' means foods, carriers to bring the food, a cook, other supplies like wood for fire, bed/straw etc, if we can agree on it being abandoned. That sounds impractical at the best and like a lot of people would have known about its location.

I've pictured the mountains of dorne being barren. I'm not sure, though. Could be they're covered in green forest, which would possibly solve the dry wood problems, at least, and if worse came to worse one could pick berries and hunt wild boar.

Also, for them to receive ravens, the ravens would have been trained to go to the ToJ, no? so, writing messages back and forth seems unlikely. This leaves the option of a messenger, riding to and from kingslanding, or possibly Starfall. That's another extra person who'd know of its location unless the KG took turns riding out to gather information.

I feel bad for Lyanna when she got the news about Rhaegar's death. It probably put her into poor health especially when she was pregnant. Dayne would have to get the news from someone that was close to royal family.

Think Ned was looking for Lyanna. The talk pre-fight with the KG would seem to show that Ned expected them pretty much anywhere else than there.

In terms of taking so few men I'm guessing that the heard about the location at KL. To get a big group of people together would take time and inevitably a larger group would travel more slowly. Who ever told Ned where to find Lyanna and whatever circumstances they told Ned she was in I'd suggest he thought speed and secrecy was on the essence. Hence he takes a few close friends. 7 well armed, armoured men would be enough to deter bandits but few enough to move at speed.

I agree with the need/desire for speed. But also, this battle Ned has to fight is a personal one. He wants to retrieve his sister. With the war won, it seems unlikely that he could have raised many man to rescue his sister. I don't think many would care at this point about Lyanna's fate. Of course he's the lord of Winterfell so he would have the authority, but there'd be plenty of other things to take care off. He'd already have lost time appointing men to take care of his duties whilst he goes off to search for her. There are prisoners and injured to take care of, for one, politics to deal with etc. even with the siege lifted. That would only be the first step of a long process to reestablish peace.

On another note, if Ashara was in Kingslanding the whole time, who knows what happened to her when it was sacked? Elia was murdered, wouldn't it be almost expected that Ashara was raped, at the very least? That could give her a reason to kill herself, too.

I agree with the need/desire for speed. But also, this battle Ned has to fight is a personal one. He wants to retrieve his sister. With the war won, it seems unlikely that he could have raised many man to rescue his sister. I don't think many would care at this point about Lyanna's fate. Of course he's the lord of Winterfell so he would have the authority, but there'd be plenty of other things to take care off. He'd already have lost time appointing men to take care of his duties whilst he goes off to search for her. There are prisoners and injured to take care of, for one, politics to deal with etc. even with the siege lifted. That would only be the first step of a long process to reestablish peace.

On another note, if Ashara was in Kingslanding the whole time, who knows what happened to her when it was sacked? Elia was murdered, wouldn't it be almost expected that Ashara was raped, at the very least? That could give her a reason to kill herself, too.

She most likely would have fled or tried to flee from the city. Ashara would feel completely worthless and dirty.

Archived