Do You Like The Audio Books By Roy Dotrice?

Dolorous Nedd

I love those audiobooks. As someone stated, Varys sounds awesome, Walder Frey as well, Dolorous Edd is just brilliant. Him saying 'Wherever whores go' as Tywin will be forever stuck in my head.

Sure, the female voices aren't as good, what do you expect? Some voices sound similar, who would have thought with so many different characters.

• 1 month later...

I love the books and listen to them in my ear buds all day, I like how he changes voices, I agree that he makes Daenerys sound a little old lady like. My main problem with the reading that I swear every time he says any word beginning with the letter H I can hear phlegm almost hit the microphone. It makes me clear my throat every time and will even send me into psychosomatic coughing fits. He is a great at it but I assume he either has allergies, CHF, or is a heavy smoker.

After watching the first tv show, I immediately started listening to the Roy Dotrice audiobooks. I was instantly addicted and as far as I am concerned, his voice is perfect. I was initially put off by Dany's irish accent in ADWD-- but when I listened to those chapters again recently I didn't mind.

Roy Dotrice is wonderful.

I noticed that. the lannisters were all Irish too, Tyrion almost sounds like Billy Barty to me.

• 1 month later...

The worst audiobook reading I've ever heard. And I've listened to A LOT. If you just want a catch up, don't waste your money on downloading this. Wait and read the book. If you are unable, then, try to ignore the awful accents and inflections he gives characters. In AFFC he makes Euron sound like he's 90, and all the women like they're stupid and Crones. So disappointing as he's a great actor.

^Wtf are you talking about?? The voice Doltrice uses for Euron is one of the absolute best in the whole audiobook. Its a monumental task voicing the huge number of speaking parts in these books. Roy does as well as could be expected from anyone.

The good: Euron voice is so devil may care and intelligent and threatening.

Damphair voice is as deep as the sea & powerfull as a prophet.

Tyrion is so witty and playfull and emotional.

Tywin is all brusk authority.

Darkstar voiceis the most aroggant tone I've ever heard.

Moqorro sounds just like you image he would. Booming and exotic.

The not so good: Victarion sounds like a 13 year old girl- strange choice.

All the lannisters do sound Irish.

Missendei sounds like an asian mouse with a cold.

Early book Mel sounds like a drunk arab.

Littlefinger is not smooth and soothing at all but rather sounds like a seedy bar bouncer. Its weird.

I work outside so I'm able to have headphones in while I work. Used to listen to the radio, for the past 2 years I've been listening to ASOIAF one novel after another, with D n E in between. He is bar far the best I have listened to. Although I have listened to John Lee in AFFC and he is pretty good also. Dotrice is the best though.

I liked the books pretty well. His Doloros Ed was brilliant, Tyrion was good and I liked most of the others. Littlefinger was positively sycophantic, for good or ill.

That really bothered me too. You would think five books in someone would tell him to stop doing that.

IIRC He only did (Phu-tire) in the first one I listened too. BUt then, I had a book on CD for GoT, and Audibles for the other four books.

I liked the books pretty well. His Doloros Ed was brilliant, Tyrion was good and I liked most of the others. Littlefinger was positively sycophantic, for good or ill.

IIRC He only did (Phu-tire) in the first one I listened too. BUt then, I had a book on CD for GoT, and Audibles for the other four books.

I've listened to all 5 of his readings he does Pe-tire in the first 3 books, then it switches to Peter in AFFC, but then back to Pe-tire for ADWD. It drives me nuts!

I've listened to all 5 of his readings he does Pe-tire in the first 3 books, then it switches to Peter in AFFC, but then back to Pe-tire for ADWD. It drives me nuts!

I must have gotten a different version for ADWD because he only switched once on me. But it was really annoying because every stinking time he said the name it sounded wrong. For the first couple Daenerys chapters I thought Khal Drogo was Carl Drogo and I kept envisioning Carl, from Aqua Teen Hunger Force with a long braid, on horseback.

• 3 months later...

I Love the guy and the great job he did on the first 3 books, I just hate how he changes so many voices of characters. I wasn't too happy with the audios for the latest 2 books AFFC & ADWD. Totally different experience for a few reasons. Aside from changing many characters voices, he also misses so many words or uses wrong words. And I mean it's become VERY common, trust me. See, I read along as I listen, it's a weird preference of mine. But from doing it this way, I've noticed all the mistakes lately by him. He never made so much errors in the first 3 books, only the last 2. I totally understand he's getting older and was sick but nonetheless, I personally would rather a fresh new narrator rather than listen to the audio's get worse and worse.

I am enjoying them. I'm listening to a Game of Thrones currently via audiobook, the only annoying part is how he pronounces Petyr, and he once called Bran, Brian. However, I would not want to have listened to them as my first experience with the novels, as his voices and inflections definitely impact the way a character and event are interpreted.

I listened to - rather than read - all the books except AFFC. I don't really have time to read text books for pleasure so most of what I read are audiobooks.

I absolutely adored his readings for the first three but I found ADWD markedly worse.

I'll never understood why he decided to change Danys voice in book 5. It's completely awful.

I'm fine with his audiobooks. He's certainly not the best reader I've ever listened to (Nigel Planer and Stephen Briggs are amazing for Terry Pratchett's Discworld), but he's really good. Much better than most audiobook readers I've heard.

The best audio books I've 'read' are the Harry Potter series, read by Jim Dale. He had slight variations for the different characters, but not over the top. That said, it seems any man reading a woman's voice is always going to sound a bit apish.

Anyway, I had read the first Harry Potter book aloud to my then 10 year old. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try the audio book and loved it. So, we then re-read the first book aloud - this time with british accents, because it sounded better and was a bit of fun for us. From then on, every book we read together we used british accents, and that was quite a few books (entire HP series, Hobbit & entire LOTR trilogy, The Princess Bride, Series of Unfortunate Events, and few others. My daughter's accent got pretty good, my accent improved a wee bit, but it is still pretty bad - :cool4:

I love, love, love Jim Dale's reading of Harry Potter. My favorite audio books! Roy Dotrice is pretty good too but I also get irritated that he pronounces Peter as Pa-Tire and Brienne like Brian.

• 7 months later...

I HATE Roy Dotrice's narrating. I wish the man well but hope he never destroys another book from this great series. Anyone who says they actually like him, chances are they havent reached books 4 or 5 yet. AWFUL in every way a narrator can be. The mixing up or just plain changing of many characters voices, the butchering of simple names (both people & city names) or just the fact that his reading skills are terrible but if you dont read along, you may miss most of his blunders in that regard. He makes so MANY mistakes, after awhile i gave up on him, his reading cannot be trusted. He ruined books 4 & 5. Period.

Archived