Do You Like The Audio Books By Roy Dotrice?

Dolorous Nedd

I think he and the audiobooks are great.

Off the top of my head his Mormont, Old Lord Walder, Blackfish, Gendry, Dywin, Dolorous Edd, and Reek voices are excellent. His female voices aren't the best but what can you expect?

Unfortunately he got some sort of cancer (throat?) and missed the last two novels but the other readers just weren't as good so he went back after he recovered and did them.

Fun fact Roy Dotrice was supposed to play Maester Luwin but got sick so they gave him a smaller part as Halleen the Pyromancer.

I think he will be too old to finish the series so my vote would be for Ian Glen (Jorah Mormont) who did "The Princess and the Queen" and did it very well. Whether he can do different voices I don't know but he has a good voice and a face for radio.

Instead of reading the ASoIaF books I have listened to them on the audio books narrated by Roy Dotrice. I'm rather curious what others think about the audio books.

For me the first three were incredibly enjoyable with the voices of Dolorous Edd, Sandor Clegane, Jorah Mormont, Drogo, Hodor, and Mormont's raven being huge highlights. Many of the voices Roy comes up with for these books are awesome and add a lot of depth to the characters. Unfortunately his voices on the next 2 books are disappointing by comparison with a common complaint being that Dany sounds like an old hag (a point I can't disagree with).

At any rate it's nice being able to listen to these books while I'm at work. It makes the day go much faster!

I own and read all of the books, but I also like the audiobooks too.

I have read all of the material availible to us 3 or 4 times already, and I still like to put on the audiobook and listen to a chapter as I fall asleep.

I think he and the audiobooks are great.

Off the top of my head his Mormont, Old Lord Walder, Blackfish, Gendry, Dywin, Dolorous Edd, and Reek voices are excellent. His female voices aren't the best but what can you expect?

Unfortunately he got some sort of cancer (throat?) and missed the last two novels but the other readers just weren't as good so he went back after he recovered and did them.

Fun fact Roy Dotrice was supposed to play Maester Luwin but got sick so they gave him a smaller part as Halleen the Pyromancer.

I think he will be too old to finish the series so my vote would be for Ian Glen (Jorah Mormont) who did "The Princess and the Queen" and did it very well. Whether he can do different voices I don't know but he has a good voice and a face for radio.

Hey there's this one really good audiobook reader who did The Terror by Dan Simmons. I'm gonna get back to you on his name once I find it. If it were up to me, this guy would be our new narrator. Also the Harry Potter narrator gets great reviews but i personally never heard him. Anyways you explained Dotrices condition pretty well, that's why i dont blame him. I blame the Audible assembling team for not being professional enough to review & correct his mistakes. Lets face it, he was just too old. The errors are just way too common in the last 2 books

I own and read all of the books, but I also like the audiobooks too.

I have read all of the material availible to us 3 or 4 times already, and I still like to put on the audiobook and listen to a chapter as I fall asleep.

And here I thought I was the only one who did that lol Lately, however, I have been in the mood for something else. I happened to come across Memory Man by David Baldacci. (That one is causing me to lose sleep - the book itself is good, and the narrator makes it even better.) There are both a male and female narrator.

I had forgotten how good some narrators are. My first listens were the Harry Bosch books, then The Help. Those book narrators were so good and since that was I ever listened to, I thought all narrators were that good or supposed to be.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not critizing Roy Dotrice. With so many characters, he faced an enormous challenge, not only with all the different voices, but also keeping them straight. I don't know why they didn't also have a female narrator. My initial reaction reaction to the first book, GOT, had me cringing. I thought the narration was awful. But I kept with it and as I proceeded through all the books, I changed my mind about him. I am not sure why - I love the voice of Davos, hate Brienne's and Dany's or maybe just got used to it. I think the WOIAF is his best. Maybe because he is just telling the story and not a character.

Would I have preferred a different narrator? Yes, and more than one narrator including a female. I was trying to catch up on the books for the new season. If not for that, I would have more than likely stopped on book one. This sounds like I didn't like Mr. Roy but I do. Doesn't make sense does it? lol

Some of the best audio books, but in my experience the World War Z audio book tops Roy Dotrice audio book.

Yeah that was masterful but you can't compare an ensemble cast containing tons of kickass actors just using their own voices (captain Malcom Reynolds, Odo, Elam Fergusson, etc.) to a guy having to voice over 1000 characters.

I do agree though that th WorldWar Z complete edition (fuck that abridged crap) was an absolute triumph AND free to listen to on YouTube.

Hey there's this one really good audiobook reader who did The Terror by Dan Simmons. I'm gonna get back to you on his name once I find it. If it were up to me, this guy would be our new narrator. Also the Harry Potter narrator gets great reviews but i personally never heard him. Anyways you explained Dotrices condition pretty well, that's why i dont blame him. I blame the Audible assembling team for not being professional enough to review & correct his mistakes. Lets face it, he was just too old. The errors are just way too common in the last 2 books

It might not have been up to audible. Dotrice and Martin are close friends who go back like 20-30 years.

And here I thought I was the only one who did that lol Lately, however, I have been in the mood for something else. I happened to come across Memory Man by David Baldacci. (That one is causing me to lose sleep - the book itself is good, and the narrator makes it even better.) There are both a male and female narrator.

I had forgotten how good some narrators are. My first listens were the Harry Bosch books, then The Help. Those book narrators were so good and since that was I ever listened to, I thought all narrators were that good or supposed to be.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not critizing Roy Dotrice. With so many characters, he faced an enormous challenge, not only with all the different voices, but also keeping them straight. I don't know why they didn't also have a female narrator. My initial reaction reaction to the first book, GOT, had me cringing. I thought the narration was awful. But I kept with it and as I proceeded through all the books, I changed my mind about him. I am not sure why - I love the voice of Davos, hate Brienne's and Dany's or maybe just got used to it. I think the WOIAF is his best. Maybe because he is just telling the story and not a character.

Would I have preferred a different narrator? Yes, and more than one narrator including a female. I was trying to catch up on the books for the new season. If not for that, I would have more than likely stopped on book one. This sounds like I didn't like Mr. Roy but I do. Doesn't make sense does it? lol

Haha, Dany sounds like a little gremlin or a troll or something.

But I agree I like the voice he uses for Davos probably the best. Scruffy with a tiny bit of pirate to it. Just the way I imagine him.

I've read and listened to all 5 books several times and at first I felt like he was overall generic and bland, but over time I've become rather fond of him, especially D-Edd, cracks me up!

Oh, except I hate his Mel voice and the way he pronounces her name, which I think he starts to pronounce right in book 5? He pronounces it Mel-eh-sonj

It might not have been up to audible. Dotrice and Martin are close friends who go back like 20-30 years.

I am an Audible member. I didn't think they had a say so in the books narrations. Just sold the books. I know people complain about narrators. For example, Thich Nhat Hanh, who is greatly loved and admired, is hard to understand, yet sometimes he does the narrations. So does John Kabat-Zinn (one of the pioneers of Mindfulness use in medicine). His voice is a dull monitone, so I read his books instead.

Sometimes there is a big quality difference on youtube than purchased audiobooks. The same book sounds so much better on Audible and Random House than on youtube. But then again, the price on youtube is so much better lol

I've read and listened to all 5 books several times and at first I felt like he was overall generic and bland, but over time I've become rather fond of him, especially D-Edd, cracks me up!

Oh, except I hate his Mel voice and the way he pronounces her name, which I think he starts to pronounce right in book 5? He pronounces it Mel-eh-sonj

Every time I hear him say Mel-eh-son catches my attention. But how he says Bri-Enne is like nails on a chalkboard. Whenever I have listened to Davos (I listen when I go to bed) sometimes the next day, I go around talking like Davos lol I wish he would have done Dany differently and not like an idiot. I shouldn't criticize. His worst voice is better than any of mine would be.

Edit: additional paragraph.

I still wish the actors in the show would narrate the series. I know the time restraits would be ridiculous. They participate in the parody musical so there seems to be an interest in their doing different options. Perhaps they could read a sample at one of the conventions. It's fun learning what other talents the actors have - like Ian Rheon plays the guitar and sings. I think he might have an album. The actor who plays Petyr Baelish narrates too. He did the Art of War. How ironic lol You can listen to a sample on Audible. Did you know the actress who played Old Nan died? Soory I got off topic.

• 1 month later...

Every time I hear him say Mel-eh-son catches my attention. But how he says Bri-Enne is like nails on a chalkboard. Whenever I have listened to Davos (I listen when I go to bed) sometimes the next day, I go around talking like Davos lol I wish he would have done Dany differently and not like an idiot. I shouldn't criticize. His worst voice is better than any of mine would be.

Edit: additional paragraph.

I still wish the actors in the show would narrate the series. I know the time restraits would be ridiculous. They participate in the parody musical so there seems to be an interest in their doing different options. Perhaps they could read a sample at one of the conventions. It's fun learning what other talents the actors have - like Ian Rheon plays the guitar and sings. I think he might have an album. The actor who plays Petyr Baelish narrates too. He did the Art of War. How ironic lol You can listen to a sample on Audible. Did you know the actress who played Old Nan died? Soory I got off topic.

That would be truly awesome — I have heard countless audiobooks over the years, and while narration by the author can't be beaten (except perhaps SJHawking), the dialogue by a full cast is exceptionally enjoyable.  A TV/movie cast would add a whole new layer with intimately recognizable voices, all speaking naturally.

With a large production cast like GoT, it could be very costly to get them all to a sound-stage to record it, though.  Also, the cast from the first book/series may not be around years later for the final book/series and vice versa.  It would be more practical to cut the dialog from the TV series and add the full narration, but so many scenes have been cut out of the TV series.

That would be truly awesome — I have heard countless audiobooks over the years, and while narration by the author can't be beaten (except perhaps SJHawking), the dialogue by a full cast is exceptionally enjoyable.  A TV/movie cast would add a whole new layer with intimately recognizable voices, all speaking naturally.

With a large production cast like GoT, it could be very costly to get them all to a sound-stage to record it, though.  Also, the cast from the first book/series may not be around years later for the final book/series and vice versa.  It would be more practical to cut the dialog from the TV series and add the full narration, but so many scenes have been cut out of the TV series.

:agree: Yeah, I second that.

And welcome to the boards! :cheers:

I don't mind a few of Roy Dotrice's elderly male voices, especially Tywin (which is very like his own natural voice), but for the most part his female and younger voices don't do this outstanding series justice.  This was more than worthy of a cast production, with at least 6 or more voice actors.  Also Roy is into his 90s now, he might not even complete the series.  The production values on the Dotrice books are pretty low in other areas, the sound-stage they have used has background voices in many, many parts, clearly from an adjacent recording room — very amateur really.

I don't mind a few of Roy Dotrice's elderly male voices, especially Tywin (which is very like his own natural voice), but for the most part his female and younger voices don't do this outstanding series justice.  This was more than worthy of a cast production, with at least 6 or more voice actors.  Also Roy is into his 90s now, he might not even complete the series.  The production values on the Dotrice books are pretty low in other areas, the sound-stage they have used has background voices in many, many parts, clearly from an adjacent recording room — very amateur really.

I'm listening to the prologue to ACoK right now. And I like his Patchface. (I like the fool in general.)

Archived