The Ice Dragon

Kramer Stark

In ADwD there is mention several times on different POV´s of an Ice Dragon which its weird since I don´t remember it being mentioned on any of the past books, so I think this is a strong indicator that we will probably see an Ice Dragon on the winds of winter, my theory is that john after being stabed wargs into ghost, than travels to the land of always winter where he finds the Ice Dragon than Jhon wargs into the Dragon which he will be able to do because of RLJ. I know it is a long shot but the fact that GRRM said that we will see the lands of always winter and the repeated mention of the Ice Dragon during the ADwD makes me believe this.

I hope I am not stealing somebody elses idea if a thread like this already exists please let me know how I can find it. Sorry for grammar mistakes english is not my first language.

Really? I cant remember much mention of ice dragons in ADWD, i could be mistaken, but Doesnt GRRM have a seperate novel/book of the ice dragon aimed towards a slighty younger audience? I honestly cant remember, but i thought in the past that maybe there could be a possibility of an Ice dragon that are controlled by the great other or some such who knows.

An ice dragon is a species of dragon that exists in Westerosi fairytales. Old Nan used to tell tales of the ice dragon. Whether ice dragons did actually exist in the A Song of Ice and Fire world at one time is unknown.

There is no mention of the Valyrians taming ice dragons although they did tame fire breathing dragons.

Ice dragons may have never existed except in the fairytales. There is a constellation of stars named the ice dragon to the north. Its blue eye points north

Thats straight from the wiki, which also goes on to mention that Jon thought of the Ice Dragon 3 times in ADWD, but wether or not its foreshadowing i dont know, i do know it would be pretty badass to see a fight between fire dragons and ice dragons although some might think its a little too fantasy/fairytail.

An ice dragon is a species of dragon that exists in Westerosi fairytales. Old Nan used to tell tales of the ice dragon. Whether ice dragons did actually exist in the A Song of Ice and Fire world at one time is unknown.

There is no mention of the Valyrians taming ice dragons although they did tame fire breathing dragons.

Ice dragons may have never existed except in the fairytales. There is a constellation of stars named the ice dragon to the north. Its blue eye points north

Thats straight from the wiki, which also goes on to mention that Jon thought of the Ice Dragon 3 times in ADWD, but wether or not its foreshadowing i dont know, i do know it would be pretty badass to see a fight between fire dragons and ice dragons although some might think its a little too fantasy/fairytail.

This is great, I have to research in order to find if another POV caracter mentions the Ice Dragon, I was pretty certain that not only jhon mentioned it but since right now I don´t have a quote it really doesn´t matter what I remember.

I think it's much more possible that Bran could warg into an ice dragon and let Jon Snow ride it. Assuming Jon is alive.

I don't see how an ice dragon helps Jon fight against the others. They seem to be vulnerable to fire and dragonglass. This is all assuming that a ice dragon breathes ice instead of fire. If it breathes fire then everything I assume is incorrect.

Unless he uses the Ice dragon to make the wall stronger. I'm assuming an ice dragon would breathe ice. Don't the others show up with a huge blast of cold air? Kinda like an ice dragon would make assuming they exist.

Dany's dragons would be a danger to the Wall. If they fell into the wrong hands.. The wall is ice.

Assuming R+L=J is true, Jon himself could be the "Ice Dragon."

This is more likely. But with Jon's fate and since we have the prologue of DwD in consideration as a GRRM's way to telling us that even when the true body of a warg gets kill he or she could live a second life in another body. That's more tricky to me, because some of us assume he would take Ghost body but if he will be a leader as one of the Three-headed Dragon he would need to communicate with the people and as Ghost he couldn't do that nor ride any true dragon, so that's my real doubt about how GRRM would solve this thing.

IIRC GRRM wrote a the Ice Dragon around 1980, he placed it in aGoT as a child story that old Nan told. After aGoT came out, he was often ask to make a children book. He reworked the Ice Dragon, toned down the words, added pictures and then republished it. In the later novels, Jon brings it up and some of the other men of the NW know the story, as they had heard it when they grew up. IMO when Jon and others are talking about it, it is said as a joke. But again, most people in Westeros, don't believe there are fire breathing dragons either.

Jon as the Ice Dragon (which he is IMO) means that he is the Jormungandr to Mance's Thor, meaning that the two of them will fight and one of them will kill the other (and if Martin remains true to the tales of the Ragnorak, meaning that they will both kill each other)

Well as we know, everything from Old Nan's tales are coming alive again, magic, along with all the supernatural beings/creatures are back. We the reader of course know this, NW knows to an extent, Bran certainly knows, Dany, etc. So I'm going to say the Ice Dragon may well be both a physical dragon capable of having an ice breath devastatingly cold as wildfire is hot, and could also allude to Jon.

Archived