Things you could eliminate

Angmar

Imagine you were the writer of ASOIAF. You're in charge in what direction the story goes.

Now, what characters/events you could do without?

I don't mean to kill the characters exactly (but if you wish to, okay), just that you see them (or a plot) as a waste of time and prefer to axe them to concentrate in something else.

Maggi the Contrived Plot Device .

Sure. Maggi the Frog is a pointless addition to cartoonise Cersei by turning her paranoia upto eleven when there was no need for that extra push. Consider: she believes that her younger brother murdered her firstborn son and her father. Furthermore she has evidence that her son's wife's family probably had a hand in this-why does she or the reader need a stupid prophecy to further unhinge her?

Furthermore, pre-Feast the Cersei/Tyrion relationship was toxically complex: she held him responsible for the death of their mother but did not outright hate him-she is furious when Cat kidnaps him, yells at Blount when he disobeyed Tyrion, and shows glimmers of some affection throughout Clash.

Then Maggi comes along and goes all "Nope! there's no nuance here-she's always hated and feared him since she was ten." Cripes.

And there's the prophecy itself-until another younger and more beautiful than you-excuse me, but when did this turn into Snow White? Who wants to bet that next book, she has Qyburn concoct a poison peach for Margery?

I second the Maggy thing. I really do not like it.

I'd also cut the Sand Snakes. Maybe I'd combine all the older ones (except Sarella) into one. Sure, one I could deal with. But three whining and complaining and calling for vengeance is too annoying for my tastes.

I'd eliminate any indepth threat from the Iron Islands. I suppose we need Victarion to sail to Mereen to woo Dany but I wouldn't have explained it. I'd have him showing up a surprise. Keep Asha and Theon and all the stuff with Balon and Victarion sailing at the end but no more. Maybe it's just me but I find them annoying.

For me Quentin storyline seemed all too long and unnecessary. Unless GRRM wanted to show how Darwin Awards are earned in Westeros/Essos.

I really don't know what he was thinking getting in there with those dragons in the first place. I had to read it twice. I was like wait, he's doing what now. And when he got burned up I was like DUH!

Yes, Ironborn soryline also seems pretty boring. Except Theon and maybe Asha. But all this Damphair, Victorian, Euron... :wacko:

Maggi the Frog storyline is ok by me though. Cersei' s parranoia reminds of one Aerys was having... and making me think if just in case this Johanna + Aerys = :wub: theories are really so crazy. Just it does not look to me that Tyrion was the result.....

I like Damphair-his story has both an angry sorrow I like and Euron. Would not miss Vic however, or Aerys Oakheart-surely we could have been introduced to Dorne without being convinced that both Arianne and Doran are foolish and pig-headed?

I'd also do away with Dany/Irri because it added...what exactly?

I like Damphair-his story has both an angry sorrow I like and Euron. Would not miss Vic however, or Aerys Oakheart-surely we could have been introduced to Dorne without being convinced that both Arianne and Doran are foolish and pig-headed?

I'd also do away with Dany/Irri because it added...what exactly?

Greyjoys got too many POVs. Either Big Vic or Aeron's could be safely removed. Or even Asha's. Incredibly there were a record breaking three POVs present at a relatively minor event of the Kingsmoot. A waste, which could've been used for say a Robb POV in the Westlands which had far more impact at the time.

Then again I think I know where Martin is heading. He needed a POV following the Iron fleet to Mereen. He needed a POV in the North (though now he has two - and both at Winterfell). And he needed a POV on the Iron Isles - likely as rebellion against Euron is brewing. But still, I feel there's one too many Greyjoys POVs. They're neither all that important thusfar in the Wot5K or the events at the Wall.

Maggi the Frog storyline is ok by me though. Cersei' s parranoia reminds of one Aerys was having... and making me think if just in case this Johanna + Aerys = :wub: theories are really so crazy. Just it does not look to me that Tyrion was the result.....

Unlike Aerys, Cersei had every reason to be paranoid:

1. Her brother, who's sworn to snatch her happiness away murders her son at his wedding feast.
  2. He escapes from the Black Cells, murders her father and disappears.
  3. Varys and a guard disappear the same night.
  4. In said guard's cell is a coin from Highgarden, of the sort Olennna Tyrell uses to pay tradesmen.
  5. Hidden tunnels are found in the walls of the Tower of the Hand-for all she knows, Varys or someone else could've been hiding there.
  6. Her second son is surrounded by the same Tyrells who murdered her first son.

Cersei doesn't need Maggi to be paranoid-in her position it is a perfectly legitimate reaction.

Archived