Things you could eliminate

Angmar

It is wrong that I want to say on whole Dany and her entire plot as it has play out. Simply, either her story is going to be a tremendous shaggy dog story or it is going to seem that her major success in winning the Iron Throne came mainly from her being the last one to the party.

Turn the three elder sandsnakes into one, more fully-fledged character, similar to Oberyn (although not that similar to be unrealistic).

Leave post-Getting-the-unsullied Dany/conquering the cities out. Unnecessary, i'd rather have Dany sit out from one book.

Many of Bran's chapter beyond the wall.

Imagine you were the writer of ASOIAF. You're in charge in what direction the story goes.

Now, what characters/events you could do without?

I don't mean to kill the characters exactly (but if you wish to, okay), just that you see them (or a plot) as a waste of time and prefer to axe them to concentrate in something else.

This is an offensive question. #JMO

arys oakheart.

arianne martell.

tyrion's freakshow stint.

big and little walder.

or really, a bunch of Freys (though Uncat seems to be culling them for us).

if we're also including the tv series, Roz, after her Theon scenes in season 1.

I'd eliminate any indepth threat from the Iron Islands. I suppose we need Victarion to sail to Mereen to woo Dany but I wouldn't have explained it. I'd have him showing up a surprise. Keep Asha and Theon and all the stuff with Balon and Victarion sailing at the end but no more. Maybe it's just me but I find them annoying.

I agree 100%.

For me Quentin storyline seemed all too long and unnecessary. Unless GRRM wanted to show how Darwin Awards are earned in Westeros/Essos.

yes

and I agree with most other posts here:

the Maggi prophecy

& the Sand snakes - I just get comfortable with one set of characters and then I have to learn another whole set. The later they are introduced in the book the less time they have to grow on you and accumulate detail so they remain unconvincing

also all the Iron Islands bunch - although some people seemed to get right in to learning about this culture - I just thought 'too many'!

and yes, Bron is not expendable.

and I did like the detail and background about the Westerling (is that the right name?) family to see how they ended up as Tywin's tool

I found the Penny & Tyrion stuff boring but appreciated the horrible fact that practically as soon as Tyrion was on the run he ended up as a performing dwarf slave - seems the only occupation available to a low born dwarf.

There are wayyyy too many filler chapters, with both Bran and Dany. I'd make penny catch fire, and I wouldn't make it look like Dorne is being run by idiots.

I agree with the AA prophecy seeming childish.

And I love the Greyjoys, but they aren't participating in the story like the rest of the great families... So why do they have so many damn PoVs...

Also.. I miss the Blackfish and the BwB

Archived