Samwell Tarly

rjpraider

Hello Im new to the these forums.

Not sure if this was written in the books but in the show Sam and Jon were having a conversation about what they wanted to be when they grow up. Sam said he wanted to be a "wizard". With him now going to the Citadel I think his dream will actually come true.

I can now picture him wearing a wizard hat and yelling "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!" While fighting White walkers lol :laugh:

I am glad that you brought up this young lad in the forums. Honestly this is one of the reasons why I made an account. I wanted to ask Martin, but I guess now all of you, why hasn’t there been any mention about Sam’s tremendous weight loss. I honestly don’t know if he has had a ‘tremendous weight loss’, but it only stands to reason that he has. Generally, people who are morbidly obese lose a significant amount of weight in the beginning of their diet simply by altering their eating habits OR by increase in physical activity. Sam had both, I can’t imagine he was eating the same or even just as much being on the wall and he was much more physically active being a watchman instead of just sitting and reading books. Add to that the time he spent in the wilderness which said that he was pretty much starving and walking the whole time and add to THAT all the time he has spent on ship eating nothing but fruit and hurling his lunch over the side of it. I could only think that Sam would be not only be thinner, but MUCH thinner and actually maybe even be in shape.

Have any of you guys thought of this also? What do you think?

I am glad that you brought up this young lad in the forums. Honestly this is one of the reasons why I made an account. I wanted to ask Martin, but I guess now all of you, why hasn’t there been any mention about Sam’s tremendous weight loss. I honestly don’t know if he has had a ‘tremendous weight loss’, but it only stands to reason that he has. Generally, people who are morbidly obese lose a significant amount of weight in the beginning of their diet simply by altering their eating habits OR by increase in physical activity. Sam had both, I can’t imagine he was eating the same or even just as much being on the wall and he was much more physically active being a watchman instead of just sitting and reading books. Add to that the time he spent in the wilderness which said that he was pretty much starving and walking the whole time and add to THAT all the time he has spent on ship eating nothing but fruit and hurling his lunch over the side of it. I could only think that Sam would be not only be thinner, but MUCH thinner and actually maybe even be in shape.

Maybe he is just big boned

He will be the biggest badass of the series, and take what is his with fire and ham.

I really like how the series established him, he's a very likeable character. :lol: :lol:

before i read the books i wathed series 1 and i was hoping that he was going to be an amazing swordsman

You watched the series and thought that he was going to become an amazing swordsman? Just to be certain, you were watching Game of Thrones that aired on HBO, right? We were watching the same show, right?

I really like how the series established him, he's a very likeable character. :lol: :lol:

Same! Sam doesn't get enough love.

You watched the series and thought that he was going to become an amazing swordsman? Just to be certain, you were watching Game of Thrones that aired on HBO, right? We were watching the same show, right?

To fair, Sam looked like a complete fucking psycho when he first appeared on screen. I don't know if that was just a subtle bit of foreshadowing but I was surprised when admitted he was coward.

Not sure if this was written in the books but in the show Sam and Jon were having a conversation about what they wanted to be when they grow up. Sam said he wanted to be a "wizard". With him now going to the Citadel I think his dream will actually come true.

There has been a ton of foreshadowing in these books. I would not be surprised if what you are thinking actually comes true. Although I would not go as far as to label him a wizard like "Harry Potter" but maybe a "Gandalf the Grey."

Sidebar: The citadel has its own qwerks and power struggles of maesters trying to limit each other... "Qyburn" for an example. This whole underlying tone of the book of power struggle after power struggle is surfacing in every aspect.

To fair, Sam looked like a complete fucking psycho when he first appeared on screen. I don't know if that was just a subtle bit of foreshadowing but I was surprised when admitted he was coward.

I agree, I was very uncomfortable for Sam when I read that part for the first time. It was like "Sam, your not supposed to admit being a coward... at least pretend you have some courage." As it turns out though after reading through, he is probably the most honest about it out of all of them and is obviously a bit too hard on himself. After all, he did take out an other.

If you understood any english at all then you would realise that i was hoping that he would be an amazing swordsman not that i thought he was.

No need to get defensive, I was only joking. But seriously...how can anyone see Sam and think that he might become a great swordsman?

I'm not a fan of Tywin, but I have to give credit where it's due when quoting him: "some wars are won with swords others with quills and ravens". So Sam may not be elegant with sword & shield, but he will probably prove to be eloquent with quills & ravens!! Go Sam!!

He actually DID lose some weight. It is mentioned, somewhen. But rather at the end I think...

Sam is one of the best characters in the books and the show, John Bradley is so good at playing this guy you can't help but feel sorry for and want to be friends with. It makes me happy that Sam has found that despite being a fat coward who can't fight (which is why his father hated him), he still is a kind, intelligent, funny and very valuable person who will be a Maester one day. I think one of his best scenes is when Sam is terrified because of the Others that are attacking the Fist, but he has his obsidian dagger, and he's got the voice of his father and Ser Alliser in his head, but then he hears Jon saying "you can do it, Sam", and then he kills the Other, saving his friend. It's just hard not to love him.

Also, Maesters aren't exactly wizards but the idea of him stood shouting lightning bolt in a wizard hat is hilarious :D I just hope Sam has a happy ending, I would cry if he had a bad one after his sad story which seems to be looking up for him.

Sam is one of the best characters in the books and the show, John Bradley is so good at playing this guy you can't help but feel sorry for and want to be friends with. It makes me happy that Sam has found that despite being a fat coward who can't fight (which is why his father hated him), he still is a kind, intelligent, funny and very valuable person who will be a Maester one day. I think one of his best scenes is when Sam is terrified because of the Others that are attacking the Fist, but he has his obsidian dagger, and he's got the voice of his father and Ser Alliser in his head, but then he hears Jon saying "you can do it, Sam", and then he kills the Other, saving his friend. It's just hard not to love him.

Also, Maesters aren't exactly wizards but the idea of him stood shouting lightning bolt in a wizard hat is hilarious :D I just hope Sam has a happy ending, I would cry if he had a bad one after his sad story which seems to be looking up for him.

So you like Sam too, huh? I like him too. That's to bad, though...he's gonna die. That's how GRRM rolls.

So you like Sam too, huh? I like him too. That's to bad, though...he's gonna die. That's how GRRM rolls.

No, not always. Dany will life (And that's not what I want). He wont kill her. And Sam coul be one of the other few that will possibly survive.

He actually DID lose some weight. It is mentioned, somewhen. But rather at the end I think...

That was my point, if I remember correctly Sam is reflecting on himself and says something to the effect of loosing 'some' weight. With what he has been through and how much weight he started with, he wouldn't have lost some, he would have lost a ton... a butt ton.

Archived