Are there any characters who just drive you crazy?

GarthKITN

With me it's the characters involved with the various useless side plots. I learned to tolerate Dany to a point, even though her love affairs in DwD stretched one's patience. But the freaks of the Ironbord Kingsmoot... Vic and Euron? I barely remember their names. And the silly plotters in Dorne... Argh. Also Bran since aSoS.

Oh, yeah, and Brienne. I liked her up to FfC. But then she suddenly became the central character of the series and spent an entire book trotting around doing nothing in particular and achieving little. World-building is OK, but world-building doesn't drive a story. Plot does.

------

I actually consider skipping every post-GOT Dany chapter and just reading a summary of what she does on Wikipedia. That's how annoying she is. I actually think that her chapters will get A LOT more interesting in the following books though, and I'm greatly looking foward to them. Other chapters I can't stand: Brienne, Bran, Sam, any Iron Islander besides Asha and Theon.

If I reread, I'm skipping Dany. Dragons, mongols, eunichs, warlocks, messianic princesses - gimme a break!

------

Somebody said how can I hate Jon if he's the main hero...It's not that I hate him, but his chapters are just so boring...I think I only liked them when Ygritte was around.

He's too bland imo.

That's true, too. The issue with Jon is the same issue that plagues Dany's plot: Reading Jon's PoVs is like reading a separate novel, and a fairly run-of-the-mill novel at that. A heroic brotherhood combats zombies. Teenager bastard of murky and potentially grand lineage becomes a (quasi)-king overnight. Could have been a D&D novel.

Though I do agree that Ygritte improved Jin's plot significantly. She is a bit of a tired archetype herself, but she worked. Writing Jon's plot post-SoS must have been very hard, because there was no way to top SoS's climax. For that matter, SoS had so many climaxes that it was almost inevitable that books 4 and 5 would suffer in comparison...

There are very many obvious ones that are meant to drive you nuts, but two stand out for me as unintentionally annoying.

Doran Martell - Sick job plotting for decades with an entirely stupid plan. Also the gout descriptions are just too much. He let himself get basically crippled before doing anything of note. .

Barristan Selmy - Though I quite like him, his general submissive and naive attitude is surprising for a man who's seen and done so much. He was meant to serve, but as opposed to Davos, thinks that means being a pup to his ruler.

As they say, THIS. DarkandFullofTurnips nails it in the head with these two. It's specially interesting with Barristan, because I also like him yet I also thought there was something about him that bugged me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what that was until I read this post.

Thank you, my friend.

I don't actually mind Vicky. But then I see him as so cartoonish and Wile E. Coyote that I find him funny. It's almost like he's from a different series. Maybe when he starts interacting with more long standing book characters, he might annoy me more.

Victarion fit perfectly in the series. He is exactly the kind of character Martin would write. Vic is badass warrior, who is not good on bed, and not smart. He is terrible with women, has issues with his brother, probably his father too, and he can't perform on bed. But, when it comes to fighting, he is the absolute beast. He won't shy away from fighting anyone; a magician, or hell even a god. And that's why he is biggest badass, I'd ever read in fantasy.

• 2 months later...

Victarion- but only when its a chapter from his POV. I'm fine with him in other POVs, but his POV bores me to tears.

THEON. I can't stand him, never have been able to, and I was so excited when I thought the Boltons killed him because I thought we were done with Theon.

Cersei in the later books. In the beginning, when she was played as this crafty player of the game who was willing to do whatever she had to win, I liked her character. I get how her falling apart is important, but reading it all from her POV is cringe-worthy. She just doesn't get it anymore, and I know that's the point, but it kills me.

Some of the Bran chapters just irritate me too, but mostly the ones where the entire content of the chapter is them wandering across the North being hungry. The chapters where something actually goes on, I'm cool with.

Victarion fit perfectly in the series. He is exactly the kind of character Martin would write. Vic is badass warrior, who is not good on bed, and not smart. He is terrible with women, has issues with his brother, probably his father too, and he can't perform on bed. But, when it comes to fighting, he is the absolute beast. He won't shy away from fighting anyone; a magician, or hell even a god. And that's why he is biggest badass, I'd ever read in fantasy.

Yes indeed, his ass is so corrupt that his farts are WMD's.

Archived