Tormund, Husband to Bears.

Why must everyone push their standards of real life on a fantasy series? This is written as entertainment and should be used accordingly. If you choose to keep a real world perspective on a book involving magic,dragons,undead etc. that's your right and perogitive. If there are issues of sexual violence that you take offense with because you want to force real world standards on fantasy you don't have to read it. To imply that everyone else must take offence because of your viewpoints? That is not correct. Most fans know the difference with real life and ASOIAF and it was made from the start to entertain. Can those of us who understand and enjoy be able to talk about a subject of fantasy without others telling us we can't because it's not acceptable in real life? If something in the series makes someone dislike it that's fine just put it down don't read it and stay off the forums so you're not offended when people discuss said topics. To stay around and push your displeasure at others and trying to force them to think as you do is because you have not learned how to tell the difference between real and make believe like most of us have is not appreciated. You can feel and think as you do that's fine but please allow us who want to talk fantasy to talk fantasy. If there was a real world discussion on these issues then that's cool there are other places for that even on these forums but to go into topics that outline what's to be discussed is based on the text in the book it's not ok to derail that topic in favor of what you feel is more important thereby hijacking the thread. It sure is a shame that can't dicuss a fantasy topic without someone forcing thier own ideogoly down your throat. Gotta love people who can't make a sense of real and fantasy and want to apply the same viewpoint to every circumstance even though we know that there is a difference,just don't try explaining that to them then somehow you're a monster,evil,stupid(whatever serves their purpose at that moment) because you don't think same way as they do, forcing everything into black and white instead of realizing it's just all gray. That is, it's all realitive, so if you want to talk about the series forward and backward I'm down, wanna talk politics and real world issues I'm down but everyone needs to know and be respectfull of what's being discussed and that will make these forums and topics enjoyable for all.

It's the rules of this forum isn't it? All threads lead to either 1) Stannis 2) rape discussions 3) Wars between two characters (i.e. Jon/Cat, Robb/Edmure) - or variations of the above.

By your powers combined, I am become a thread about whether Robb or Theon would rape Stannis better.

One thing that also applies is that the reason the Mormont women have evolved more like what the wildlings call spear wives is because Bear Island has been so often invaded over the centuries by both the Ironborn and the wildlings. So it's not like the wildlings aren't aware that Bear Island exists. And I don't think rape applies here at all if its a long and ongoing relationship. Which it would be if the first issues would have been Alysane or Torwynd and the youngest being Lyanna. That's a long relationship, she'd have to be willing. And I can't wrap my head around Maege ever being raped as it is, the woman knows how to take care of & defend herself.

Would that be a pre-Reekified Theon or a post-Reekified Theon? Would Reek "bend to his task" is the major talking point.

The Kraken's Tentacle is intact. I choose to believe this. Some believe that trees watch over us, others that lighting a fire ensures the next sunrise. This is my religion.

Love this! If it turns out to be so, I can't wait to see their reunion:

"You"

"YOU!"

They rush together, embrace, and fall into the snow as long lost lovers.

:love: HAR HAR!

I think this has actually over taken my Val and Jon wish as my favourite actually possible pairing!

• 9 months later...

I hate this idea. I don't buy that Lady Mormont had a bunch of bastard children, if she had no trueborn children House Mormont would be facing a succession crisis as soon as Maege dies. Most likely Maege was married, and nobody talks about her husband because he is long dead and wasn't related to anybody of particular importance. The Mormont women face enough crap with the she- bear jibes because they are 'unwomanly' and fight, you just know sonebody would have made a point of it if her daughters were bastards too.

OTOH we are actually told that the Umber girl was taken by a wildling raider. So if we are looking for an answer to that particular mystery it actually makes sense to look for clues about notable widlings. Between short Tormund having a tall son and his giantsbane nickname I believe there are clues in that direction.

I love the idea...

and I think it's shown that Toregg is only particularly tall by comparison to Tormund ...

Tall Toregg, he was called amongst the free folk. Though he barely had an inch on Leathers, he overtopped his father by a foot.

Tormund has not been reported to be a raider ( except as implied by Marsh ) and in fact, says he has never been south of the Wall before coming through under Jon's agreement...and other wildlings have not been shy to admit their raiding..

As the ruler of House Mormont, can Maege have bastards , if she says her children are legitimate ? ( I'm only half joking.)

I think Tormund's title, Speaker to Gods , implies that he is quite a religious man , and if, as the theory implies, he and Maege have had a long term relationship, I would bet that they consider the relationship to be sanctified by the old gods.

If Maege had had a husband from somewhere in the 7 Kingdoms.. her house name would have automatically changed to his , unless there was a special legal arrangement for him to drop his name and adopt hers ( much as the Tallharts suggested for their son being adopted by Lady Hornwood ) and that would have had to be OK'd by Ned and probably Robert.

Who would have questioned the legitimacy of her offspring ?.. I'm sure Bear Islanders wouldn't want to come under the rule of another family as a result of her marrying. But by taking a husband , or "husband" ;) , who does not want to rule her house, live on Bear Island, or bend the knee to whoever sits the Iron Throne , she secures her family's line.

I'm interested in the revelation that Alysanne has a son...and if that may have played a part in Jeor wanting Jorah to take the black.. As far as we know, Jorah is the only one who could challenge the situation.

I think sleeping with bears is a Mormont euphemism for sleeping around. Tormund probably picked it up from one of them as, other than him and the Mormonts, no one else seems to understand it so one of them had probably slept with him. I'm worried it might be Alysane because she has two kids and Tormund says he had a pair of kids with the bear. If that were the case them I would start to worry that littlefinger's creepy ideas about a teenager marrying a middle aged man being a great thing was not just the character speaking.

It would be better if it were Maege. I imagine if a Mormont woman has a child out of wedlock they just say "it happened when I was skinchanging, I couldn't help myself". Then they probably say the child will be stronger, being from a bear, and push to get their child the lordship. Who dobbed in Jorah again?

I have to admit sheepishly that when I read about the Mormont women after seeing Tormund being called the Husband of Bears, I assumed Tormund was Maege's "husband."

Love it when wishful thinking gets in the way. All aboard ship Maegemund!

As an aside, I am really interested in the culture of the she-bears of Bear Island also. If Alysanne has a son, will he become Lord Mormont, or will the next she-bear in line be heir to the seat? I hope we get to see more of the Mormonts, they are an awesome family. Perhaps Maege prefers a wildling mate, if the theory is true, because she isn't pressured into legal marriage, which may lessen or undermine her power or authority to some degree (but not if the man was smart ;) ).

• 4 weeks later...
“Girls,” squawked Mormont’s raven. “Girls, girls.”

That set Tormund to laughing all over again. “Now there’s a bird with sense. How much do you want for him, Snow? I gave you a son, the least you could do is give me the bloody bird.”

“I would,” said Jon, “but like as not you’d eat him.”

Tormund roared at that as well. “Eat,” the raven said darkly, flapping its black wings. “Corn? Corn? Corn?”

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this again, I'm wondering if the treatment of the Mormont women has any bearing on the Starks backing Rhaenyra during the Dance of the Dragons. Considering House Stark's own approach to bastard children, and the Mormonts apparently having the right to declare an unmarried woman heir apparent to a powerful House, perhaps the North has a more relaxed approach to inheritance, with a proclaimed heir taking precedence over tradition. If that's true, then them backing Rhaenyra makes sense, since they would see her as the rightful heir regardless of birth order or gender. The only thing that would matter to them would be that her father groomed her and appointed her his heir.

Ad I can't be the only one who thinks that it would be hilarious if Maege had stolen Tormund just as much as he stole her. Maybe it was reciprocal kidnapping to ensure that they would be considered married on Mormont island as well as beyond the wall.

• 2 months later...

If Alysanne has a son, will he become Lord Mormont, or will the next she-bear in line be heir to the seat?

The next she-bear in line (Lyra) will be heiress unless Alysane gets married and has children into that marriage. In that case, the first-born child of that marriage, regardless of the gender, would be the heir/heiress.

Tormund's story seem to me as believable as proclaimed size of his member (even the half of it is twice as long as average man's one...). It makes me think certain type of Northeners just like to talk stories like this. And bear? It's a dangerous beast with sharp claws, and can bite your head off, also it's a common animal on the North, so I suppose there are many bear-centric stories without any connection to Mormonts.

Archived