Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

Not having been truly thorough with this, the comet is last seen by Jon in ACoK 13 Jon II: "At night they camped beneath a starry sky and gazed up at the comet." and Tyrion in ACoK 20 Tyrion V: "the distant castle on Aegon's High Hill was directly behind him, with the comet hanging forebodingly over its towers."

The next (many) times the comet is mentioned, people talk about it but nobody ever looks at it, so I take it, it is no longer in the sky. First time we don't see the comet again is in ACoK 27 Daenerys II: "Her people had followed her across the red waste as she chased her comet, and would follow her across the poison water too, but they would not be enough." This is ambiguous enough, but she now is at Quarth, her destination in the comet-chasing journey.

ACoK 40 Daenerys III: "The comet led me to Qarth for a reason."

After that, it is definitely of the past.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that Benjen is mostly likely dead, yes, but I am still hoping Jon or (most likely) Bran, will discover what has happened to him.

I have never read about wights climbing the Wall, but it would add an interesting factor to the fight, now wouldn't it?

Also, as per Jon's way of thinking, there's a lot we don't know about the wights and the White Walkers, and every wildling that dies north of the Wall, will probably become a wight. If no wildlings can pass through the Wall anymore, the army of undead will only grow bigger. And than what will happen if the wights or the White Walkers turn out to be capable of doing things that we don't know of yet, that will help them across the Wall? There will be a huge army of undead on the move then, but because the gates weren't sealed, several thousand wildlings could come south, and the wight army won't get any of those people.

Who knows? Perhaps GRRM didn't seal the gates because Jon needs to go north one final time or something. Perhaps we'll find out in WoW.

But if they seal the wall then Bran and co. are screwed.... you can't have that that now could we?..... [emoji22]

But if they seal the wall then Bran and co. are screwed.... you can't have that that now could we?..... [emoji22]

Not quite understanding what you say. Bran will be cool with the wall closed. He is not returning. He is indeed becoming Bloodraven 2.0.

Once I badly wanted Bran to heal, become whole again. But doubts were swayed towards Bran becoming one with the old gods after reading A Song for Lya.

Not quite understanding what you say. Bran will be cool with the wall closed. He is not returning. He is indeed becoming Bloodraven 2.0.

Once I badly wanted Bran to heal, become whole again. But doubts were swayed towards Bran becoming one with the old gods after reading A Song for Lya.

I hope he doesn't become BR 2.0... how messed up would that be to paralyze a kid then make him a tree... A tree who watches over and helps people live THEIR lives while he just sits.... Oh god... that's probably exactly why grrm paralyzed him!!! lol.... I heard of BR 2.0 but haven't looked into it yet so I'll get on that soon.... Also A song for Lya?

I hope he doesn't become BR 2.0... how messed up would that be to paralyze a kid then make him a tree... A tree who watches over and helps people live THEIR lives while he just sits.... Oh god... that's probably exactly why grrm paralyzed him!!! lol.... I heard of BR 2.0 but haven't looked into it yet so I'll get on that soon.... Also A song for Lya?

An awesome GRRM short story.

Obviously this heat resistance thing isn't really a small question!

However, if you do a really close reading of the whole fire pyre episode at the end of AGoT (including the days before, when Drogo is sick and Mirri Maz Duur is commanded to do anything & everything in her power, including blood magic, to keep Drogo alive and healed, and Dany goes into labor and loses her baby, etc.), you'll see that Mirri Maz Duur proclaims she will not scream, and then proceeds to sing some weird song. Ultimately she does scream, and burns to death, while Dany wakes up next morning just fine, only bald, and nursing dragons.

But if you pay close attention, you'll observe that the firey pyre is way too hot for Daenerys to approach right away, then as Mirri is singing, something changes, apparently in concert with the loud cracking/popping sounds of eggs breaking, one.by.one.

Apparently Mirri was singing a spell to keep herself protected from the fire, but as the eggs were hatching the direction of the magic spell she sang was shifted, so that Mirri's fire protection was shifted over to Dany instead. Mirri died, Dany nursed her dragon babies, and the fate of Terros was changed.

Why did the target of the fire protection spell change from Mirri to Dany? I suspect the dragons had something to do with that, especially as one of them has the soul of Rhaego, who Mirri switched from being born healthy and strong as the prophesied Dothraki STMTW to a fossilized dragon abortion. Is this a complete explanation? Probably not, as even without the one shot spell, Dany is a lot more heat tolerant than anyone I've ever met. Her dragon dreams where she communes with the future Drogon are quite "steamy" one might say, and may well be the source of her particular ability.

But I wouldn't go bad mouthing GRRM's skills as a story teller, as he's working with a lot more complexities than are immediately obvious in so many situations. And he's really good at those. Not perfect, because he does make some minor mistakes (eye colors and hip dimensions being among the more famous/notorious examples), but nevertheless really good. He just doesn't make it easy to see what he's done unless you pay very sharp attention. That way he rewards his most diligent readers with extra reading value. And his less diligent readers still get a good magical yarn without bothering to delve into the depths of detail he provides.

As to the spear she pulled from Drogon's body, yes, her hands were burned from that, but not too deeply, as she only held the spear for a few seconds at most. And I'm sure you've heard of Real Life situations where for brief moments normal ordinary people in extreme situations were temporarily unaware of the pain or seriousness of their wounds because their minds were focused on the immediate issues of surviving the present danger. That's not bad writing, that's actually normal description. Do some folks fail in those situations? Sure, you bet. But not everyone does, even folks who aren't superheroes in great fantasy epics. I've met several over the years.

Yes it has happened in real life situations. Adrenalin rush giving people unexpected strength and the like etc

The point is, this is a fantasy genre. Why shy away from giving Dany some powers? Why the ambiguity over what she can and can't resist? If there was magic connected to the funeral pyre, why did her hair burn but not her skin? It's all a bit too silly for my liking. Embrace the fantasy or write books that are grounded in reality is my message to GRRM.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it has happened in real life situations. Adrenalin rush giving people unexpected strength and the like etc

The point is, this is a fantasy genre. Why shy away from giving Dany some powers? Why the ambiguity over what she can and can't resist? If there was magic connected to the funeral pyre, why did her hair burn but not her skin? It's all a bit too silly for my liking. Embrace the fantasy or write books that are grounded in reality is my message to GRRM.

Why not do both?

I think he's doing an incredibly good job of writing books heavily grounded in reality, with just a touch of suitably unknowable, and rare, magic, with deeper fantasy elements at the core that have yet to be fully explored.

Ambiguity? Perfect. How the heck are we, or even an in-world expert, supposed to know and understand instantly the details and depths behind a magical event? Why wouldn't her skin be the limit of protection? its a natural limiting barrier that the hair is 'outside'? It seems to better represent a 'real' magical effect than the more usual effects given by authors.

I like his way better than yours. So far at least.

• 5 weeks later...

Thats really swell, junior. Im sure we will find out all about your way of doing things after we read your best-selling, multi-volume fantasy epic, and watch the adaptation on premium cable television.

Edited by The Hempflower Knight

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is obvious or has been talked about before, but are we sure that Ramsay knows that Jeyne is Arya? I mean even when he is alone in a room with just Jeyne and Reek he doesn't mention it.

He most likely does.. The Boltons would know why they needed Theon (to pass off Jeyne as the real Arya, as Theon was the only one available to confirm her identity).

Why would Ramsay admit to anyone's identity when they are alone..? There is no reason to do so..

Ramsay knows the girl has been trained, so he probably knows roughly what happened to the girl, and where she came from.. I doubt he bothered to remember her true name though (If he was ever told her true name, and not just "she's some girl who grew up at Winterfell").

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else concerned about Jon Connington's battle plan, I mean it really feels as though they rushed their way into Westeros. Even with the

Golden Company as allies, the realm in chaos, the Ironborn attacking the Reach, Dorne's plan to betray the Lannisters, and the Crown in disarray at King's Landing, I still, for some reason feel as though they didn't amass enough strength, manpower, and support needed to put Aegon on the throne.

Am I the only who's feeling this?

Edited by Joffpooop

• 1 month later...

In "The Prince of Winterfell" (US Hardcover p.485) Theon asks Lady Dustin why he is giving 'Arya' away and she replies "Her father is dead and all her brothers. Her mother perished at the Twins. Her uncles are lost or dead or captive." I'm probably reading way too much into this but the wording of the last line is a bit odd, yes? Brandon is clearly dead and Benjen is lost or presumed dead... Why did she randomly add the "captive" part? Perhaps she knows more about the fate of Benjen Stark than she is letting on.

Arya uncle Edmure is held captive.

The Others seem to be who controls the wights. They look like tall ice fairies, white skin, but very much alive. They have an extreme weakness to obsidian, it will melt them. They don't like fire but it's not such a killer weapon against them as against their wights. Think: Winter's necromancers with obsidian as cryptonite.

The wights on the other hand are reanimated corpses and look the part. If one attacks you, set it on fire, they're highly flammable. Obsidian doesn't help you anymore than a normal stone. Think: Zombies.

Both have burning, bright blue eyes (even wights whose bodies had a different eye colour when alive).

So the others were the giant horned frozen guys that weighted the baby? Aren't they the old Gods? Wow this is confusing. I might have to break down and read the books again...LOL

• 1 month later...

Osney Kettleblack was tortured by the new High Septon and he told the septon everything. Cersei is accused of fornicating with Osney. She is accused of murder(She ordered Ser Osney to kill the previous High Septon) Cersei is charged with high treason, fornications, and murder. I believe Lady Merryweather, Taena was Margery's the whole time and perhaps Qyburn. The high treason charge is for anything done to upset the King's rule. I hope that helps you!