Favorite Quotes 2

mcbigski

Part way through rereading a five year old thread, it got locked, so we continue...

First off, Triskele, that quote about capitalists and the rope was not Karl Marx: "Shut the fuck up, Donny! V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!"

And Galactus, I dig the Alpha Centauri quotes, but nothing from CEO Morgan or Deirdre Skye made the cut? The one from Morgan that sticks with me the best is "Planet's Primary, Alpha Centauri A, blasts unimaginable quantities of energy into space each instant, and virtually every joule of it is wasted entirely. Incomprehensible riches can be ours if we can but stretch our arms wide enough to dip from this eternal river of wealth."

Something about that I really like. Maybe because it's progress breaking paradigms.

Bit disappointed how little Shakespeare showed up in the first thread as well.

Scoria: If you were to ask for forgiveness, it would not remove the need to lash you. But it would make the lashing an act of reconciliation between us, not punishment.

Mazikeen: Don't waste your breath. Every word could be a stroke.

Portia's speech in The Merchant of Venice is one of my favourite in the plays, although I can come up with a dozen more. And I will, but not all at once, one quote at a time is enough, I think :) And of course, there are wonderful lines in the sonnets as well.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;

It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:

'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes

The throned monarch better than his crown;

Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.

Think’st thou that I, who saw the face of God,

And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,

Am not tormented with ten thousand hells

In being deprived of everlasting bliss?

O Faustus, leave these frivolous demands,

Which strike a terror to my fainting soul.

Potential Future Leader Of the Crustacean Liberation Front:

"It's not because of the date your parents had sex we mock you, it's because you're a person in the middle of coitus with below average IQ."

That might not be a direct quote.

Portia's speech in The Merchant of Venice is one of my favourite in the plays, although I can come up with a dozen more. And I will, but not all at once, one quote at a time is enough, I think :) And of course, there are wonderful lines in the sonnets as well.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;

It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:

'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes

The throned monarch better than his crown;

I am, in general, a Shakespeare fan. This speech however is my most hated of his work. It is so pretentious & disingenuous. Any noble thoughts of mercy are undercut as Portia & her lot rip off & humilate Shylock. "Merchant" is a vile & disgusting play, imo.

I am, in general, a Shakespeare fan. This speech however is my most hated of his work. It is so pretentious & disingenuous. Any noble thoughts of mercy are undercut as Portia & her lot rip off & humilate Shylock. "Merchant" is a vile & disgusting play, imo.

I would say The Merchant of Venice now ranks as one of Shakespeare's most controversial plays, without a doubt. But many of his most famous quotes are beautiful only because you don't take them in context, since Shakespeare had a habit of putting beautiful words in the mouths of fools, weaklings or the despised.

We used The Merchant of Venice in my Gr. 9 girls' Catholic school as a lesson on the vileness of anti-semitism and how wrong it was for people to accuse Jews of killing Christ, and to discuss the concept of the ghetto and modern day examples, extending to the horror of apartheid. And we also talked about how difficult it might have been for Shakespeare to show Shylock in any positive light (as Jews were often the villains in stories and plays in his time) and yet Shakespeare also wrote the second wonderful and deeply sympathatic speech in that play, to put in Shylock's mouth. The fact that Christians thought they were some better, nobler class of people is disputed by Shakespeare, they are no more pure than Jews and Jews are not lesser people than Christians. No one was putting any sympathetic words in the mouths of Jewish villains, and if anyone left the play with those words at the back of their minds I think he did a pretty good thing, for his times. Of course, the intentions of Shakespeare in Merchant is worthy of a thread in itself.

Shylock:

I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands,

organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same

food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,

heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter

and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If

you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?

And if you wrong us, do we not revenge? If we are like you in the

rest, we will resemble you in that.

The Merchant Of Venice Act 3, scene 1, 58–68

I would say The Merchant of Venice now ranks as one of Shakespeare's most controversial plays, without a doubt. But many of his most famous quotes are beautiful only because you don't take them in context, since Shakespeare had a habit of putting beautiful words in the mouths of fools, weakilings or the despised.

We used The Merchant of Venice in my Gr. 9 girls' Catholic school as a lesson on the vileness of anti-semitism and how wrong it was for people to accuse Jews of killing Christ, and to discuss the concept of the ghetto and modern day examples, extending to the horror of apartheid. And we also talked about how difficult it might have been for Shakespeare to show Shylock in any positive light (as Jews were often the villains in stories and plays in his time) and yet Shakespeare also wrote the second wonderful and deeply sympathatic speech in that play, to put in Shylock's mouth. The fact that Christians thought they were some better, nobler class of people is disputed by Shakespeare, they are no more pure than Jews and Jews are not lesser people than Christians. No one was putting any sympathetic words in the mouths of Jewish villains, and if anyone left the play with those words at the back of their minds I think he did a pretty good thing, for his times. Of course, the intentions of Shakespeare in Merchant is worthy of a thread in itself.

I knew I liked you, well said :drunk: I suppose the truth of the words comes in the performance, as I feel you could play Shylock's words either as sincere or as mocking (it does use imagery that is similar/the same as imagery used to slander the Jews, not human, different blood etc).

"Mom, a whole cantaloupe skin - you sure?"

"Yeah, I've earned it. All I had for breakfast was kiwi fuzz - it was like licking your father's back."

eta:

"My life is more difficult than anyone else on the planet and yes I'm including starving children so don't ask!"

"...the youth, because he is not yet anything determinate and irrevocable, is everything potentially. Herein lies his charm and his insolence. Feeling that he is everything potentially he supposes that he is everything actually."

--Violent Femmes singer Gordon Gano told Details magazine back in 1993. Paraphrasing the Spanish philosopher Jose Ortega y Gasset

Edit: fixed for the Italian bird, (Fra-gee-lee)

"Reading Baker is like watching a man masturbate while looking at himself in a mirror. I understand that there are segments of people who would really enjoy this, but for the most part, it seems really inaccessible to me."

-Howdyphillip

• 2 weeks later...

And we also talked about how difficult it might have been for Shakespeare to show Shylock in any positive light (as Jews were often the villains in stories and plays in his time)

Jews were kicked out of England in 1290, and weren't formally allowed back until the time of Oliver Cromwell. Shakespeare (and his audience) probably didn't have all that much first-hand experience with Judaism.

Just read this one tonight and found it worthy of sharing.

When a subject is highly controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion that one does hold. One can only give one's audience the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the prejudices, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker.

Virginia Woolf

Jews were kicked out of England in 1290, and weren't formally allowed back until the time of Oliver Cromwell. Shakespeare (and his audience) probably didn't have all that much first-hand experience with Judaism.

While the banishment of Jews was in effect in Shakespeare's time (and for another 50 years), people were familar with Jews as the killers of Christ and as the spreaders of the bubonic plague. They would know they were evil moneylenders who took a pound of flesh circumcising babies. Marlowe wrote The Jew of Malta before Merchant of Venice was written, and while all three religious groups, Jews, Christians and Muslims, are depicted as greedy, arrogant and merciless, the central character is a Jew. So while Elizabethans did not have daily contact with Jews, they were likely familiar with an unsavoury stereotype.

Archived