Who Would You consider an ANTI-HERO? Who's your Favourite Anti Hero? Apart from Jaime Lannister....

bloodofthedragonqueen

You just made a point. Then defeated it all on your own. I salute you.

As for the rest of whatever that was, what I said was there is no such thing as good or bad in people. All I said. The rest of what you have said is literally building on what I said. Can you try and structure that mess please?

Lol that is one pretentious sentence.

Oh, I am "Literally" building on what you said, am I? am I building with bricks and cement? You could of just said I am "building on what you said". I'm not literally building on anything.

I am so sick of people saying Literally for no reason, mostly not knowing what it means (Kardashian and other Americans, why did you start this horrible trend, why?!?! stop butchering.. that goes for general people in case they are an offender, dw I tell my friends too, lol)

I actually think that we don`t have some universal anti-hero, then each character has its own anti-hero. So, to proclaim someone anti-hero, you must have a hero.

1. Tyrion - Tywin

2. Jaime - Cersei

3. Starks - Boltons and Lannisters

4. Dany - antihero: ENTIRE WORLD

I think the Boltons are just plain bad. I do not find any redeeming qualities in them.. do you? Lannisters are pretty much anti heroes though. Dany could be one... she has a good heart though, and I wouldn't call her selfish. She just does what needs to be done, kind of like when Ned beheaded that deserter. Thats what I think anyway.

I wonder if Samwell is an anti hero.... hmmmm

I actually think that we don`t have some universal anti-hero, then each character has its own anti-hero. So, to proclaim someone anti-hero, you must have a hero.

1. Tyrion - Tywin

2. Jaime - Cersei

3. Starks - Boltons and Lannisters

4. Dany - antihero: ENTIRE WORLD

This is really more of a list of, albeit blurry perhaps, protagonists and their antagoninst.

To me, the only archetypical antihero is Sandor. There's plenty of heroes in their own story type characters, but just because they are immoral it does not make them anti heroes.

Sandor Clegane and Jaime Lannister are my favourites. They're both antiheroes. Sandor refuses moral but he does what he does for good most of the time. He's a tortured character deep inside his soul and has an auto-destructive behaviour (getting drunk as fuck and still fight), doesn't give a damn about jerarchy (he despises Joffrey, Tyrion and the whole establishment itself) and has done awful things throughout his life, such as killing Mycah, but I believe he found no joy in such things, even though he laughed (a bitter laugh) after killing Mycah and he said "killing is the sweetest thing there is".

Then we have Jaime Lannister, pursued by his past, always reminded by others who are worse than him what he did, which is condemned and regarded as a dreadful thing to do being a member of the Kingsguard, even though he considers it was his "finest act". Then he starts doing things for the greater good and redeeming himself from his previous life. He is a cynical character in my opinion: smiling as if he didn't care about what people think of him, only to eventually find out that he does care, and a lot.

Her son was murdered before her very eyes, would you like me to laminate that for you? Or is that still "unclear"?

This "story" is full of characters that are not 2D black and white Disney villans. There is no good and bad here, its not that "clear". You say Tywin is evil yet he murdered Robb and saved the lives of thousands rather than prolonging a long and bloody campaign. One guest murdered at dinner to save thousands in the field is Tywin's justification IIRC. You say the same for Cersei, yet she loves her children and would do anything to protect them. Do you call that evil? And you name Jon Snow and Dany heroes. Dany, the owner of three dragons who can potentially cause havoc and destroy countless lives because a girl wants to sit on a chair and call herself the boss of everyone else. The girl who brought these beasts into the world yet cannot even control them, letting them murder innocents. Is that not evil of her? You name Jon Snow a hero yet he has forsaken vows to an ancient and honourable organisation so he could fuck a wilding girl while his brothers died fighting. You name Brienne a hero yet she would kill the best chance Westeros has at an ever lasting peace because she loved a pretty boy who had no right to be king in the first place. I'm not saying that these characters are good or bad or if I like them or not, quite the opposite, I love all of these characters but you can't just sum it up like "oh she's good and he's a baddie." There are no anti-heroes or heroes. This is ASOIAF.

You're probably right.

If we were to simply say which characters are cynical about chivalry, I would have to say the Hound tops the list.

True, but you can`t say anyone is anti-hero, considering that we don`t have classical hero.

That's not really true, the antihero is a trope just like the byronic hero, the maiden in the castle or perhaps the bastard boy who actually has royal blood.

A few people have mentioned Sandor Clegane. He's not really an anti-hero as such, he's simply an evil man who still has at least one or two morals intact, or at least a soft-spot for Sansa.

An anti-hero still saves the world with his or her actions despite being somewhat immoral in the process. Jaime would be an anti-hero because most of his actions aren't noble and he is extraordinarily selfish. He fathers three children but isn't even close to them from afar, he attempts to murder a small boy and he delights in fighting.

However, when really pushed he is amazingly heroic, as shown when he saved King's Landing, went back to save Brienne and bluffed his way into scaring off formidable fighters despite missing his sword hand, praying that he won't be tested on that fact.

I think the Boltons are just plain bad. I do not find any redeeming qualities in them.. do you? Lannisters are pretty much anti heroes though. Dany could be one... she has a good heart though, and I wouldn't call her selfish. She just does what needs to be done, kind of like when Ned beheaded that deserter. Thats what I think anyway.

I wonder if Samwell is an anti hero.... hmmmm

WTF :stillsick:

So just to add fuel to the fire.

For those who are completely ignorant to the deeper aspects of literature, why is Catelyn Stark not an Anti-Hero? I am not saying she is... I am just curious as to why people say she is not.

Lets try and explain and educated rather than Troll.

Edit: To clarify my question.

For those who are completely ignorant to the deeper aspects of literature, why is Catelyn Stark not an Anti-Hero? I am not saying she is... I am just curious as to why people say she is not.

she's morally good, able, noble and courageous. those are the traits of a straight hero not an anti hero.

A few people have mentioned Sandor Clegane. He's not really an anti-hero as such, he's simply an evil man who still has at least one or two morals intact, or at least a soft-spot for Sansa.

Not true. Sandor protects Loras from Gregor, gives a dying soldier the gift of mercy, and saves Arya from certain death during the RW, and continued to look after her even though any value she had as a hostage quickly diminished.

So just to add fuel to the fire.

Lets try and explain and educated rather than Troll.

Edit: To clarify my question.

An anti-hero is generally someone who may be a main character or protagonist but doesn't have typical heroic features. I'd say Catelyn is a morally good person and she's brave (fought Bran's assassin and in the Vale), She really isn't an anti-hero. However one might feel about Catelyn, Martin meant her to be on the list of good guys.

The three characters who most closely match what I would define as an anti-hero would be Sandor, Arya, and Jaime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihero

To give some context:

In literature, an antihero[1] (or antiheroine[2] as the feminine) is a protagonist who lacks heroic virtues and qualities (such as being morally good,[3] idealistic,[4] courageous,[4] and noble).[1][3][5][6][7][8] The Byronic hero sets a literary precedent for the modern concept of antiheroism.[9][10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihero

and from TV Tropes:

In George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Arya Stark and Sandor Clegane are probably the best examples, in terms of their personalities. Their actual roles as protagonists or antagonists are debatable. Jaime might fall in this category too, at least once you progress to the passages written from his point of view.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiHero

I agree, although I consider Sandor also a Byronic hero.

Jaime is my favorite, followed by Sandor.

i agree about sandor. an antihero still has to be a force for good and sandor matches most of the byronic traits:

Arrogant

Cunning and able to adapt

Cynical

Disrespectful of rank and privilege

Emotionally conflicted, bipolar, or mood

Having a distaste for social institutions and norms

Having a troubled past or suffering from an unnamed crime

Intelligent and perceptive

Jaded, world-weary

Mysterious, magnetic and charismatic

Rebellious

Seductive and sexually attractive