Arianne Martell - casting

gande51

actually no Arianne takes after Mellario not after Doran

I don't see why olive skin isn't white. Olive skin is mediterranean(mostly from what I know Greek, Turkish, Italian, Spanish) so no. I don't believe that Arianne in this picture is "not white"

Actually ya look up the physical description of salty Dornishmen, and then look up the physical description of Arianne they're literally exactly the same.

There are different forms of olive skin, in fact I'd say the term "olive skin" is used pretty loosely for instance in the past I have heard on TV and seen in magazines ppl describing some bi racial women like Halle Berry and Paula Patton as having "olive skin". Some ppl use it to describe white ppl and some ppl use the term to describe ppl with more of a non white ethnic backround, like I said ppl in general use the term pretty loosely.

But in the books it's clearly said that she takes after Mellario.

I'm pretty sure the books only say she takes after her mother in the height department because they are both really short women, GRRM gives Arianne the exact same physical description that is given to salty Dornishmen.

I'm pretty sure the books only say she takes after her mother in the height department because they are both really short women, GRRM gives Arianne the exact same physical description that is given to salty Dornishmen.

it isn't stated as far as I remember how exactly they look like it was only stated that she was taken after Mellario

it isn't stated as far as I remember how exactly they look like it was only stated that she was taken after Mellario

"She is still a little thing, the captain thought. Where the Sand Snakes were tall, Arianne took after her mother, who stood but five foot two." Areo Hotah AFFC- Ya this is clearly saying she takes after her mother in ther height department, not looks.

"She is still a little thing, the captain thought. Where the Sand Snakes were tall, Arianne took after her mother, who stood but five foot two." Areo Hotah AFFC- Ya this is clearly saying she takes after her mother in ther height department, not looks.

and where its said that she looks like Doran?

As far I am am aware, and I may be wrong, olive refers to skin undertone not skin colour or depth of colour.

I think and again do correct me if I am wrong that there are about 3 or 4.

Namely:

olive - green

pink

yellow

grey/ blue

and where its said that she looks like Doran?

The enitrety of her full appearance is described in AFFC by Aero Hotah and Arys Oakheart in the combined Captain of the Guards and The Soiled Knight pov chapters, they describe her as having all the physical features that are associated with salty dornishmen. Long black hair, olive skin, and dark eyes. There's a full description of Arianne on :

http://awoiaf.wester...Arianne_Martell

But if you don't believe that then you're free to read the two pov chapters in AFFC that I mentioned above and see for yourself. Anyway it's pretty clear GRRM only says she takes after her mother in the height department.

Although both of them are extremely attractive, I very much doubt they'll go down that path, I think the producers will play it safe and choose Caucasian actors who may have a hint of a olive complexion and just use make-up and lighting to make them look more Dornish. They need to differentiate between the Dornish and the people of Essos (Dothraki, slavers bay citizens) ,but I know they won't hire Indian actors to play the parts because well frankly I don't think audiences in America especially, would respond enthusiastically to them, and yes it is a race thing.

Sorry to come of as racist, because I'm not, but that's just my personal opinion of what the ethnic viewing preferences of Western society are.

I would love love love to see someone like Naveen Andrews get the role of the Red Viper, but I just think like Arianne, they will go with more of a Mediterranean (Greek, Spanish, Turkish, Italian) descendent route.

Are you American? I'm not aware of a anti-India sentiment in America. In fact Bollywood is quite popular here and there are plenty of Indian actors and actresses getting roles all the time here. There are plenty of stores and businesses owned by people from India where I live and there businesses thrive.

Are you American? I'm not aware of a anti-India sentiment in America. In fact Bollywood is quite popular here and there are plenty of Indian actors and actresses getting roles all the time here. There are plenty of stores and businesses owned by people from India where I live and there businesses thrive.

No I am not American, but if you can name at least 5 Bollywood actors/actresses who have had prominent and re-occurring roles in major cable tv shows I will retract my statement.

Btw: Naveen Andrews isn't a Bollywood actor, I'm talking about actors who have had a successful Bollywood career then gone on to star in a major cable television networks flagship drama.

One thing is for certain. Whomever they cast for Arianne is going to have to be drop dead gorgeous. GRRM went into great detail in his books describing her looks and her body (far more detailed about her body than any other "beauty" in his world). To me he meant her to be the epitome of female sexuality.

I agree with those of you who say she can not be lilly white. She's got to have some color to her skin. I've always pictured Dorne as something similiar to Italy. In Italy you have blonde/light complexion up north but as you make your way down the hair gets darker as does the skin until you reach Sicily which is almost entirely black hair and olive skin.

No I am not American, but if you can name at least 5 Bollywood actors/actresses who have had prominent and re-occurring roles in major cable tv shows I will retract my statement.

Btw: Naveen Andrews isn't a Bollywood actor, I'm talking about actors who have had a successful Bollywood career then gone on to star in a major cable television networks flagship drama.

I didn't say they had to be from Bollywood. But you make a statement that is completely inaccurate saying American's wouldn't tolerate an Indian actress or actor being cast onto the show. That is just ridiculous. American's are a lot of things, but we are no where near as racist as you seem to think. I mean the whole idea of America is that it is a "melting pot".

I didn't say they had to be from Bollywood. But you make a statement that is completely inaccurate saying American's wouldn't tolerate an Indian actress or actor being cast onto the show. That is just ridiculous. American's are a lot of things, but we are no where near as racist as you seem to think. I mean the whole idea of America is that it is a "melting pot".

Well I'm probably being cynical i guess, but nevertheless there is a lack representation of minorities on major networks in America and in other major western countries (speaking from an Australian television point of view). This is a deliberate choice by networks and producers,and in my opinion reflects the racist sub-culture in today's western society.

Anyways, back to the casting of Arianne, I think Catherine Zeta Jones 15 years ago would be perfect! http://www.apnatimepass.com/catherine-zeta-jones-wallpaper-16.jpg

Well I'm probably being cynical i guess, but nevertheless there is a lack representation of minorities on major networks in America and in other major western countries (speaking from an Australian television point of view). This is a deliberate choice by networks and producers,and in my opinion reflects the racist sub-culture in today's western society.

Anyways, back to the casting of Arianne, I think Catherine Zeta Jones 15 years ago would be perfect! http://www.apnatimep...allpaper-16.jpg

Lack of minorities being cast on US tv? There are a bunch of tv shows with entirely african american casts. Latin actors/actresses can be found all over major tv shows here. Same with people who have asian heritage.

Catherine Zeta Jones is beautiful, but not nearly curvy enough.

There are a bunch of tv shows with entirely african american casts.

If you can name five such shows, not counting reality shows or anything airing on BET, but mainstream basic cable television shows, then I'd love to see what you can come up with.

If you can name five such shows, not counting reality shows or anything airing on BET, but mainstream basic cable television shows, then I'd love to see what you can come up with.

Yeh exactly, the only one I can think of would be the Wire

Archived