Videogames Ideas for the ASoIaF

Jazm1990

Recently I've been thinking on how the ASoIaF lore could translate into a great gaming experience, seeing how the Game of Thrones game did so poorly. I think that 2 type of games would fit great into the ongoing plot of ASoIaF. As much as I would like a game during Robert Rebellion (especially the Tower of Joy and the Trident), i think that would reveal to much of the ongoing mysteries in the books.

1) A Faceless men game similar to the Hitman Series (giving a high emphasis in the environmental and accidental kills) and the Assassins Creed series (crowd blending and using disguises like in the multiplayer).

I think this could work, because you could have certain missions intertwine with the main plot but most of the missions could be approached like short stories and in a interview GRRM mentions he would like to do more short stories.

Imagine that you start the assignments in the House of Black and White, selecting the main face you want to wear and two more glamours that you can activate to use as a temporary disguise.

Depending on the face you chose, you gain access to certain items. For example, a merchant's face would give you more coins to use for distraction or bribes and the added bonus you might get access to certain restrictive parties of gatherings, while a beggar's would give you access to more lockpicks and access to underground sewers or tunnels.

The setting could be anywhere in Westeros or Essos

2) The other game idea i think that could work is an RPG based on the Brotherhood without Banners. The main missions could focus on the battles the brotherhood fought across the Riverlands. Plus you could have an seemingly endless supply of side mission that help or tormented the folks of the region.

What do you guys think?

What, the awful generic Western RPG wasn't enough for you? Stinking fans and your incessant whining for better stuff.

In all seriousness though, despite what you stated, I think Robert's Rebellion is ripe for a strategy RPG (think Fire Emblem and XCOM, especially the former). Fire Emblem is already a series where, depending on how you play, the most important cast members can just get up and killed and the entire story will change to fit around that and is actually well-written and all that. Basically, give the player the scripted opening salvo of the war and let whatever happens happen - it doesn't have to be canon in the slightest, as long as the joy of playing a really good game set in the world of ASoIaF is prevalent.

Its possible.Just look at Dungeons and dragons, such a huge franchise translating into many forms, one such being videogames. And their were many good ones as well.

Anyways an idea from me is kind of like TES, back when the 7 kingdoms were actually 7 kingdoms so before Aegon. You start as nobody but you can climb the social ladder, become a hero, a faceless man, etc Kind of like a TES game but in Westeros. But unlike TES you can get involved in Politics, you can become the head of a kingdom for example if you did the right things. Their would be many side missions and items in the world.

Anyways an idea from me is kind of like TES, back when the 7 kingdoms were actually 7 kingdoms so before Aegon. You start as nobody but you can climb the social ladder, become a hero, a faceless man, etc Kind of like a TES game but in Westeros. But unlike TES you can get involved in Politics, you can become the head of a kingdom for example if you did the right things. Their would be many side missions and items in the world.

But then this theoretical game loses its own identity and basically becomes a TES clone (Faceless Men for Dark Brotherhood, etc.)

But then this theoretical game loses its own identity and basically becomes a TES clone (Faceless Men for Dark Brotherhood, etc.)

Well they could add unique mechanic on the game that differentiate it from the rest. I only use the comparison with other games so we can have a general idea of the gameplay elements that could be used.

As much of a pain as it was to play the Game of Thrones RPG it did have good concepts just very very poor execution. But there's a problem with turning ASOIAF into a game mostly by trying a RPG is if you set it during anywhere during the current timeline or a significant event that happened not long before hand the players want to be either the main staple of characters or want a way to interact with the mains. Another glowing problem is with one of the biggest appeal of ASOIAF is the politics, scheming etc. you need to pick a timeline where you can have a heap of freedom to play in politics and not affect the current story (unless you want a WHAT IF game). but no matter what a ASOIAF game is going to be tricky since youre dealing with grander story of the current timeline and trying not to make the player feel insignificant compared to it and make the actions matter. So Im simply stating what ever Video Game you can make youre still going to have to deal with this problem in total which is what the Lord of the Rings games have.

One more thing, set the game during the events of the books with each game encompassing one or two of the novels. While you cannot change the events of the main plot, you could attain titles and lands through the Greg houses, or join various guilds and attain mastery of your skills and talents be they physical or mental. Ultimately the final goal would be to survive the coming winter. With most of your subjects (smallfolk, soldiers, guild members, etc) surviving as well.

What, the awful generic Western RPG wasn't enough for you? Stinking fans and your incessant whining for better stuff.

In all seriousness though, despite what you stated, I think Robert's Rebellion is ripe for a strategy RPG (think Fire Emblem and XCOM, especially the former). Fire Emblem is already a series where, depending on how you play, the most important cast members can just get up and killed and the entire story will change to fit around that and is actually well-written and all that. Basically, give the player the scripted opening salvo of the war and let whatever happens happen - it doesn't have to be canon in the slightest, as long as the joy of playing a really good game set in the world of ASoIaF is prevalent.

That would be awesome!

I'm patiently waiting for a great ASOIAF game. I'm a reader, my boyfriend is a gamer who also likes ASOIAF, perfect date night!

I tried out the GOT RPG as well, and did not find it as enjoyable as I'd hoped.

There's a finished Crusader Kings II mod with various start dates from (I believe) Aegon's invasion to the "present" day.

If only they had on screen battles you could play. At this point I am waiting for medieval iii and hopefully the asoiaf mod

Archived