The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

To clarify, I was lead designer on an expansion for The Witcher that was ultimately cancelled while in alpha (no reflection on the quality - it was a business decision). I am actually working on a title at the moment:

http://toucharcade.c...ook-incredible/

You might note the article dates back to 2010. The game has been massively delayed, but the good news is that it's because of the delay I wrote The Grim Company to pass the time. The game should be released in spring. Though if it gets delayed to launch alongside the North American release of The Grim Company, that would hardly be a disaster.

This interview will probably answer a lot of your questions regarding the origins of the novel and my game design career.

thanks for the info!

It seems like your game writing has been good practice for the novel. I guess there's potential down the line for your books to become games?

The motorcycle accident would probably inspire me to write a very grim book - I'm impressed you turned it into a positive experience.

If you're from Warminster does this mean a Bath/Bristol signing is potentially on the cards. Is there something about the Bath area that inspires Abercrombie-esque work?

thanks for the info!

It seems like your game writing has been good practice for the novel. I guess there's potential down the line for your books to become games?

The motorcycle accident would probably inspire me to write a very grim book - I'm impressed you turned it into a positive experience.

If you're from Warminster does this mean a Bath/Bristol signing is potentially on the cards. Is there something about the Bath area that inspires Abercrombie-esque work?

A game might be on the cards in future. First I have a trilogy to write!

I was born in Bristol. Only moved to Warminster a couple of years ago. I'll probably move back to either Bristol or Bath later this year. The Bristol/Bath area has indeed become the capital of gritty fantasy, what with Abercrombie, Lawrence, Mazarkis Williams and me. Probably forgot some others too.

I'm signing some stock for Toppings in Bath in the next couple of weeks. I imagine a Waterstones/Forbidden Planet signing will happen at some point...

Epub is an e-book format. It works on most e-readers, and can be read on a computer with (among other things) the free Adobe Digital Editions software. It doesn't work on the Kindle, but free programs like Calibre can convert epub files to mobi format, which will work on the Kindle. I converted the Grim Company sample epub with Calibre, and it looks great on my Kindle.

A game might be on the cards in future. First I have a trilogy to write!

I was born in Bristol. Only moved to Warminster a couple of years ago. I'll probably move back to either Bristol or Bath later this year. The Bristol/Bath area has indeed become the capital of gritty fantasy, what with Abercrombie, Lawrence, Mazarkis Williams and me. Probably forgot some others too.

I'm signing some stock for Toppings in Bath in the next couple of weeks. I imagine a Waterstones/Forbidden Planet signing will happen at some point...

I can see it being a huge advantage knowing how games work to be able to actively be involved in creating a game based on the trilogy. The way video games are going as a multi-media platform it won't be long until games come out with a prose/comic copy and a film of some sort to coincide with it,.

I just realised again that ebooks are hard to sign... I may pop along anyhow if you are doing a chat or something, Warminster sounds like a great place to write violent fantasy from - I'm sure a lot of people imagine you are writing from the turret of a castle.

I'm going to assume he's never read Morgan's fantasy, Mark Lawrence or particularly KJ Parker, coz all due respect, you're a little ray of sunshine... :P...

Mark has been reviewing there for a long time and did review The Steel Remains and some Parker :)

I've just dowloaded the sample onto my phone. I think the largest book I've read on it is the dunk and egg stories. If I can manage to read a 300 hundred sample on such a small screen without getting annoyed, well, that would be a review in itself. Sounds like something I'll enjoy though.

About Prince of Thorns, isn't there a scene where Jorg has sex with a prostitute whilst reading a book balanced between her uh arse crack* (technical word for it!?) I can't remember if it happens real time though if thats what you mean but ni sex in the book?

* I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler either :-P

Started reading, not bad. I hate to be the critic in the thread that hosts the author himself, but the writing style doesn't appeal to me. I do like the larger themes and concepts, though. Definitely enjoying it!

Don't withhold criticism on my account! I'm in the unusual position of being able to incorporate reader feedback for my first book into my second book. Constructive criticism (rather than, for example, the author is a misogynistic shitlord or check out my unfinished and unpublished manuscript for a lesson on how to write a *real* character with depth! ;) ) is very helpful. Though to be fair, writing style probably isn't something I can easily fix...

Don't withhold criticism on my account! I'm in the unusual position of being able to incorporate reader feedback for my first book into my second book. Constructive criticism (rather than, for example, the author is a misogynistic shitlord or check out my unfinished and unpublished manuscript for a lesson on how to write a *real* character with depth! ;) ) is very helpful. Though to be fair, writing style probably isn't something I can easily fix...

I downloaded a sample on my laptop and read the first few pages. I am going to stop there because I don't want to invest in a story without being able to learn the conclusion for several months. From what I read, I can't really comment too much about, but I can say that it seems that you can set a scene with descriptions that makes it easy for the reader to visualize. I'm looking forward to getting this when it is released Stateside.

I can't find this work for Barnes and Noble, I have a Nook. Are you going to be releasing it through them at any point?

Archived